**** Official Fallout 76 Thread ****

Soldato
Cd keys as above but be aware right now the Bethesda.net launcher is not working on PC though so until that's fixed you will not be able to download & activate the game (cdkeys sells the Bethesda.net launcher version cheapest of all). Its very rare to have an outage on that launcher (Elder Scrolls Online uses the same backend which is being upgraded but looks like it affected the Bethesda.net launcher as well!).

76 got patched last Tuesday to now have another stash increase to 1200 (from 800) and a few other fixes like massively increasing your chances to get a decent rare weapon or items plan drop from the Daily Ops event so worth getting back into as well. (I got quite a few of those since last Tuesday now!).

Even though the Bethesda.net launcher is down the steam & game pass versions are working ok so is the Bethesda.net version if you launch directly from the games exe file & do not have 2 factor authentication enabled on your account!

Last edited:
Soldato
Is this game worth playing now? Have avoided it for a long time but seen it on Game Pass so thinking of giving it a go

It's fun. Don't go in expecting another F:NV, but it's got two solid main stories, a pile of decent lore and the map is absolutely amazing.
The direct story stuff can be rushed in about 50 hours, but you don't need to rush it, i'm watching one youtube guy doing a permadeath run and he's about 40 hours in and he's barely started the main quest, let alone the Wastelanders stuff.

I'm just over 1100 hours in and i'm still having fun.

edit - watch out if you have a weakness for serious min/maxing your character, some of the weapons have astronomically low drop rates for the "perfect" version and some people will drive themselves mad in their quest to get their kit just right. I've had the same guns and armour for over a year now and i sleep just fine.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Is this game worth playing now? Have avoided it for a long time but seen it on Game Pass so thinking of giving it a go

It uses the "free to play" gaming model than is intended to create addiction. It's not labelled as free to play (and I think it isn't, yet) but it uses that model. There is a lot in it that's designed to manipulate you into logging in every day to grind your daily tasks ingame. Don't miss a day! Why not pay extra to reduce the amount of grinding in your daily tasks? And pay some more extra in order to get the basic functionality that was deliberately cut from the game so it could be sold seperately. And pay some more extra to buy workarounds for the obstacles deliberately added so that workarounds could be sold for them. I'm sure you know how the "free to play" gaming model works.

If you're sure you can play and still avoid that, it's not bad. There are two well made partially linked main stories (the "Wastelanders" quest line added some time after launch is effectively a second main story) and the gameworld is very good (if you can ignore all the lore failures and breakages and contradictions). The game isn't very good, but the gameworld is.

Also, the camp building system in FO76 is extremely bad. Don't play FO76 if you want anything like even vanilla Fallout 4 settlement building let alone modded FO4 settlement building. FO76 is a massive leap backwards in that respect. It's really very bad indeed. It's only intended for building a shack with a mattress and a box, nothing more. You can wrestle with it for days and force it into allowing you to make something better, but it's not fun to do so. You're not building something - you're fighting the extremely badly implemented building system.

I played FO76 for hundreds of hours and most of them were fun. I stopped because of the deliberate addiction business model. I never sunk into it far enough to pay extra, but when I missed a few days I realised that I was quite pleased to have a break from grinding out my daily tasks...and thus realised I had become addicted.

Soldato
It uses the "free to play" gaming model than is intended to create addiction. It's not labelled as free to play (and I think it isn't, yet) but it uses that model. There is a lot in it that's designed to manipulate you into logging in every day to grind your daily tasks ingame. Don't miss a day! Why not pay extra to reduce the amount of grinding in your daily tasks? And pay some more extra in order to get the basic functionality that was deliberately cut from the game so it could be sold seperately. And pay some more extra to buy workarounds for the obstacles deliberately added so that workarounds could be sold for them. I'm sure you know how the "free to play" gaming model works.

If you're sure you can play and still avoid that, it's not bad. There are two well made partially linked main stories (the "Wastelanders" quest line added some time after launch is effectively a second main story) and the gameworld is very good (if you can ignore all the lore failures and breakages and contradictions). The game isn't very good, but the gameworld is.

I played FO76 for hundreds of hours and most of them were fun. I stopped because of the deliberate addiction business model. I never sunk into it far enough to pay extra, but when I missed a few days I realised that I was quite pleased to have a break from grinding out my daily tasks...and thus realised I had become addicted.

I see some of the guys with "Fallout1st" saying how it's great they can loot everything in sight and that they've 12k of every sort of scrap on hand, but they've got nothing to use it on because the game rains utility kits on you while you're playing and they give them away for free every couple of days in the shop.

Addiction business model? Don't be daft, next you'll be telling me that Zenimax wanted a slice of that juicy microtransaction pie and went out bought a studio that has loads of experience in mobile play-to-win game development and gave them the keys to the Creation Engine. Oh, wait .... ;)

Also, the camp building system in FO76 is extremely bad. Don't play FO76 if you want anything like even vanilla Fallout 4 settlement building let alone modded FO4 settlement building. FO76 is a massive leap backwards in that respect. It's really very bad indeed. It's only intended for building a shack with a mattress and a box, nothing more. You can wrestle with it for days and force it into allowing you to make something better, but it's not fun to do so. You're not building something - you're fighting the extremely badly implemented building system.

I've got to disagree with you on the building system, i've seen some amazing stuff built with it. Not by me obviously but i've stumbled across some impressive builds.

One that stick in my mind is when i fast travelled to a camp and ended up at a train station, it took me a few seconds to register that it wasn't a regular station i hadn't been to before but actually a player camp. Platforms either side of the train track, indoor cafe (with chairs and tables, and vendor robots for a serving counter), workshop with all the crafting benches next to it. Then (after going up, over and down the bridge over the tracks) the other side had a bunk house with a handful of beds, musical instruments, weight bench, etc (all the stuff to get your SPECIAL buffs).

I can build an impressive box with one window.

Man of Honour
[..]
I've got to disagree with you on the building system, i've seen some amazing stuff built with it. Not by me obviously but i've stumbled across some impressive builds.

One that stick in my mind is when i fast travelled to a camp and ended up at a train station, it took me a few seconds to register that it wasn't a regular station i hadn't been to before but actually a player camp. Platforms either side of the train track, indoor cafe (with chairs and tables, and vendor robots for a serving counter), workshop with all the crafting benches next to it. Then (after going up, over and down the bridge over the tracks) the other side had a bunk house with a handful of beds, musical instruments, weight bench, etc (all the stuff to get your SPECIAL buffs).

I can build an impressive box with one window.

I didn't say it was impossible to build something more than a shack containing a mattress and a box. I said "You can wrestle with it for days and force it into allowing you to make something better, but it's not fun to do so. You're not building something - you're fighting the extremely badly implemented building system." Which some people do with great skill and determination.

I've seen someone tie a teabag to the loading platform at the back of a massive lorry, reverse the lorry down a road to exactly the right place and lower the loading platform to put the teabag into a mug of hot water on the curb. I've seen someone pick up an egg with the business end of a big JCB. The fact that it's possible (with enough skill and patience) to use a wildly inappropriate tool to do something doesn't mean it isn't a wildly inappropriate tool for that job. The camp building system in FO76 is a wildly inappropriate tool for anything more than a shack with a mattress and a box.

You could crawl around a garden lawn cutting each blade of grass one at a time using nail clippers. Eventually you would get the job done. That doesn't mean that nail clippers aren't an extremely bad tool for cutting the grass on a garden lawn. But camp building in FO76 is worse than cutting a lawn with nail clippers. Cutting a lawn with nail clippers just requires a lot of time and a lot of patience. Wrestling with the building system in FO76 requires a lot of luck too. Also a lot of planning because before you even start you'll need to list every object you'll have to place for the camp and find out how many building points it costs. Then you'll have to discard your planned camp because it will exceed the miniscule building budget Bethesda allows (which is intended for a shack with a mattress and a box and maybe some plants outside and a water pump) and start again.

I spent a couple of hundred hours wrestling with FO76's camp building. I became very well aware of how indescribably bad it is. I stubbornly persisted and created a 3 storey building with a stairwell (which required exploiting a glitch - you're not supposed to be allowed to build a stairwell for some unexplained reason), a workshop with a seating area and a radio for when you were waiting for stuff to heat or chemical reactions (roleplay, of course, since those things are instantaneous in the game), a lounge, a dining area, a kitchen, my bedroom (roleplay again - you don't sleep in the game), heavy defenses, a vegetable garden, water supply and lead mine. It took me 5 complete from the ground up rebuild attempts for that one camp. At least 100 hours of work. And it was nowhere near what I wanted because of how utterly defective camp building in FO76 is and how woefully inadequate the building budget in FO76 is. Because camp building in FO76 is designed for at most a shack containing a mattress and a box, with some plants and a water pump outside in the dirt.

I made a little post venting after the 3rd or 4th attempt, which got very close to being barely adequate by my standards before it was ruined by the extremely bad camp building system in FO76:

After the next round of scrapping and rebuilding from scratch, I got close enough to what I wanted. Not very close, but as close as I could get while wrestling the extremely bad building system while being crippled by the miniscule building budget. I managed to make a few improvements afterwards, mainly that I was eventually allowed to either place a door in the doorway above the roof over the entrance or put a solid wall there (I forget which).

There are some screenshots of that camp of mine in this post:

If you can think of a camp better than a box with one window you should be able to build it in FO76. The reason you can't is because the camp building system in FO76 is extremely bad.

Associate
This game’s brilliant now after a bad start back in 2018/19. Loving every minute of it, multiplayer really brought me around now to enjoying company in game but maps so big you can play it like single player if you want to.

Soldato
This game’s brilliant now after a bad start back in 2018/19. Loving every minute of it, multiplayer really brought me around now to enjoying company in game but maps so big you can play it like single player if you want to.
Nothing has really changed its more or less the same universally hated by many game it was back in 2018 !!

Not been a single new location of any note since it launched either. Fallout 3's The Pitt is coming as an expedition this year apparently where you can revisit that a little. But deep down its the same broken mess just being forced to continually re-use recycled Fallout 4 meshes or reskins they then charge players for to extend the lifetime of the servers!

Soldato
would really like to play again from scratch but there's not really been any interesting updates since the Wastelanders quest updates. Brotherhood stuff looks a bit naff, everything else is small events or minor stuff.

Associate
I think that’s a bit harsh the games certainly not broken. It’s great fun, not perfect by any means. Outside of the quests and scoreboard doesn’t seem much else to do except for taking workshops but that’s a grind as every time you leave the game it resets any progress on workshop

Back
Top Bottom