**The Official Everything MMA Related Thread**

Soldato
I think O'Malley should and will get a higher ranked opponent than Cody.

Great night of fights. Thought Dustin would have knocked Olivera out, had plenty chances but he is so tough. As someone said previously, Charles is overlooked and has pretty much been expected to lose every one of his last three fights. He's on a 10 or 11 win streak now that is fully deserved. Based on that performance i think he'll beat Gaethje too.
Trying not to take anything away from Pena but something didn't look right with Nunes, was a very quick tap but to be fair she didn't complain afterwards.

Caporegime
Like? Garbrandt is still ranked 7th at BW. O’Malley just beat the 15th ranked guy, so realistically will only just be ranked himself.

I doubt the UFC is going to push him against anyone higher than that just yet. Even though I think he wins that fight comfortably.

Ree

Ree

Associate
He'll probably get Cody and it'll be out with the old and in with the new unless Cody starches him that is (Unlikely but could happen). Happy for Pena she went for it and got the job done. What does Poirier do now is my question.

Caporegime
I think O'Malley should and will get a higher ranked opponent than Cody.

Great night of fights. Thought Dustin would have knocked Olivera out, had plenty chances but he is so tough. As someone said previously, Charles is overlooked and has pretty much been expected to lose every one of his last three fights. He's on a 10 or 11 win streak now that is fully deserved. Based on that performance i think he'll beat Gaethje too.
Trying not to take anything away from Pena but something didn't look right with Nunes, was a very quick tap but to be fair she didn't complain afterwards.
I think that Nunes went into the fight far too overconfident and too dismissive of Pena's capabilities and likely didn't train as hard as she should have done. She gassed out early and then Penas strikes caught her by surprise and led to her getting tapped out.

The only other alternative is she threw the fight and I don't believe that she would do that... Champion like to stay champions.

Soldato
Like? Garbrandt is still ranked 7th at BW. O’Malley just beat the 15th ranked guy, so realistically will only just be ranked himself.

I doubt the UFC is going to push him against anyone higher than that just yet. Even though I think he wins that fight comfortably.

I didn't realise Cody was still ranked that high. Seems to lose every time I watch him. Not that it will be absolutely his choice but I feel O'Malley will look at someone like Cody as being on the way down, not someone to beat on the way up. I think a Vera rematch makes sense but yeah, looking at the rankings Cody makes sense too.

I think that Nunes went into the fight far too overconfident and too dismissive of Pena's capabilities and likely didn't train as hard as she should have done. She gassed out early and then Penas strikes caught her by surprise and led to her getting tapped out.

The only other alternative is she threw the fight and I don't believe that she would do that... Champion like to stay champions.

Yeah I'd agree, even champs sometimes have their off days! I do not believe Nunes threw it. Couldn't deal with that straight jab but she looked a completely different boxer than to the Nunes that destroyed Cyborg.

I don't know where Poirier goes from here either. Its such a tough sport man, Dustin is in a similar boat to a few fighters like Ortega or Covington in that they are better than all around them but just have someone standing in the way who is too good. Surely he's made enough from the Connor fights but money isn't everything to these lads. Back to the gym, build up to another title fight, get your neck wrapped for the third time.

Caporegime
I didn't realise Cody was still ranked that high. Seems to lose every time I watch him. Not that it will be absolutely his choice but I feel O'Malley will look at someone like Cody as being on the way down, not someone to beat on the way up. I think a Vera rematch makes sense but yeah, looking at the rankings Cody makes sense too.

Yeah I'd agree, even champs sometimes have their off days! I do not believe Nunes threw it. Couldn't deal with that straight jab but she looked a completely different boxer than to the Nunes that destroyed Cyborg.

I don't know where Poirier goes from here either. Its such a tough sport man, Dustin is in a similar boat to a few fighters like Ortega or Covington in that they are better than all around them but just have someone standing in the way who is too good. Surely he's made enough from the Connor fights but money isn't everything to these lads. Back to the gym, build up to another title fight, get your neck wrapped for the third time.
Yeah in the end fighters like Dustin who have had careers spanning many years want it all to mean something, they want a legacy and to be remembered, and that generally involves taking the belt and being crowned as the best at least once in their life. Then when they retire before 40, which is obviously still young in the grand scheme of things, they can then for the rest of their lives look back and tell themselves and others that they were once the champion of the world. That obviously means a hell of a lot to many top fighters, it's not just all about the money.

Soldato
Not a great fight though tbh, Giga never recovered from the first round, didn't look like he could hurt Kattar.

Hell of a chin though from Giga, ate everything, never looked seriously wobbled .

Caporegime
Not a great fight though tbh, Giga never recovered from the first round, didn't look like he could hurt Kattar.

Hell of a chin though from Giga, ate everything, never looked seriously wobbled .
Not a great fight? it was an awesome scrap, a war, and Giga still did damage even though he looked half dead.

I hope Sundays fight doesn't disappoint... I really want Gane to win.

Associate

Hard man to please! I thought it was awesome and that Giga still had power even in the later rounds, as did the commentators.

Mad respect to Kattar for pushing forward and owning the fight against a beast.

Soldato
Not a great fight? it was an awesome scrap, a war, and Giga still did damage even though he looked half dead.

I hope Sundays fight doesn't disappoint... I really want Gane to win.

It wasn't competitive at all though. Sure Giga got his face smashed up and kept going, but there was no excitement, no changes in momentum. Once Giga was gassed and dazed at the end of round 1, he had nothing. From round 2 onwards there was only one result.

Best moment of the main card was that brutal liver shot from Borschev...made me wince.

Lowlight was the Chookagian fight. Can't stand her fights, it's like watching amateur boxing, trying to get points for tickling her opponent. No venom at all.

Looking forward to Gane vs Ngannou but I suspect it may be quite short :D

Caporegime
I rarely watch WMMA these days, it's an almost always 'zone out', 'change channel' or 'skip' if recorded.

The exceptions being title fights as for the most part the standard is normally pretty good. For everything else I don't find it remotely entertaining as the standard is so low.

Soldato
Anyone going to go?

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2022...s-return-to-london-england-for-march-19-event

Could actually be a decent card. Aspinall confirmed, Till and Pimblett rumoured.
Would be a great card that if so, big for a Fight Night.

How's the atmos at UFC in the UK? Been before? I've been to three in Melbourne and its super edgy. Early Prelims start around 9am and everyone is milling around the place wearing tap out gear and other bad clothing and drinking beer. I'm not intimidated easy but it's not the sort of event that ever feels relaxed :D. Always a scuffle or two in the crowd. Was a full on brawl at the Rousey Holm fight, chairs getting launched the lot.

Associate
[QUOTE="For everything else I don't find it remotely entertaining as the standard is so low.[/QUOTE]

It's an illusion due to the lowest standard now being so high :p i.e You don't see many advanced ground tecniques now adays because most are aware and can defend against it !

Associate
How's the atmos at UFC in the UK? Been before? I've been to three in Melbourne and its super edgy. Early Prelims start around 9am and everyone is milling around the place wearing tap out gear and other bad clothing and drinking beer. I'm not intimidated easy but it's not the sort of event that ever feels relaxed :D. Always a scuffle or two in the crowd. Was a full on brawl at the Rousey Holm fight, chairs getting launched the lot.

I've been to a few small events, BAMMA a few times and UFC.. fantastic atmosphere at all of them and never seen any trouble.

Actually I've seen trouble once, I cornered my mates lad at Night of the Gladiator 21 (Ross Pointon promotion) as a last minute step in so was back stage with the fighters, it almost kicked off in the changing room between Ross Pointon and the main event fighter who hadn't given him the money from ticket sales ! :cry::cry::cry:

Soldato
I've been to a few small events, BAMMA a few times and UFC.. fantastic atmosphere at all of them and never seen any trouble.

Actually I've seen trouble once, I cornered my mates lad at Night of the Gladiator 21 (Ross Pointon promotion) as a last minute step in so was back stage with the fighters, it almost kicked off in the changing room between Ross Pointon and the main event fighter who hadn't given him the money from ticket sales ! :cry::cry::cry:
You withhold a mans money and you get punched in the face!

To be fair there were 50,000 that day at the Rousey fight. Law of averages states there had to be few loons.

Caporegime
Would be a great card that if so, big for a Fight Night.

I’ve been to a few over here but not for years as the cards have been poor imo.

Ive been to 70, 75, 81, 89, 105, 120.

Atmosphere is great if you can look past the meatheads shouting “punch him” etc. There’s almost always at least one fight in the crowd as well.

Back
Top Bottom