Train burglaries in the US, do we have anything at this scale in the UK?

Soldato
You're talking absolute nonsense and making yourself look rather silly.

You don't need to effectively strangle someone to stop them "pulling a weapon", there are things called handcuffs (you may have heard of them, even though they've only been around for a few hundred years) or even your own hands and those of the other two of three officers who were there, and how the hell does kneeling on someones neck stop them from using their hands?

Snip

No. The point wasn't how possible it was. @Combat squirrel is overlooking that GF was no angel and others were the victims of GF's actions. I didn't say the cop was right for kneeling too heavily. At the end of the day GF chose a lifestyle that involved criminality including playing up whilst being arrested. Those were his choices and had he chose differently he wouldn't have created his own victims as well as put himself into a situation of his own making. Society didn't force him to get into a car high on drugs or defraud a business with counterfeit money. On that day his playing with fire landed him in a situation with a cop that chose not to stand for it.

Soldato
It's perfectly fine to not tolerate intolerance, this is how we fight the right wing.

The problem is you are straying so VERY closely to becoming exactly what you appear to hate which is why extreme leftism is just as abhorrent as extreme right. Sadly you completely wont see that as youre OBVIOUSLY fighting for justice and good....

Soldato
easy and inexpensive fix would be to modify the rail cars to stop the doors being opened when loaded couple of K per car i'd imagine and whilst expensive on a fleet basis its going to be nothing in terms of price per parcel.

Caporegime
The problem is you are straying so VERY closely to becoming exactly what you appear to hate which is why extreme leftism is just as abhorrent as extreme right. Sadly you completely wont see that as youre OBVIOUSLY fighting for justice and good....

A tolerant society has to be intolerant of intolerance

Soldato
A tolerant society has to be intolerant of intolerance

I for one am totally shocked that D.P., of all people, might just be paraphrasing a Popper quote having not read, understood or cared for the second part....

"In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be unwise."

The evidence, rationally examined, is clear.

In countries like the US and UK...

The primary driver of differential criminal justice outcomes between groups is the differing rates at which the groups offend not 'systemic' oppression

Soldato
The primary driver of differential criminal justice outcomes between groups is the differing rates at which the groups offend not 'systemic' oppression
I seem to remember reading about a recent report that showed defendant behaviour between groups was different which had a big impact on outcomes. For instance guilty people from one group admitting guilt and getting reduced sentences as a consequence and other groups not trusting the justice system pleading not guilty then being found guilty and getting no benefit from an admission of guilt.

Man of Honour
California hasn’t cornered the market in train crime.

• Passenger fatally shot on Amtrak train, search underway for suspect

2a430350e162158222f50ba466e8fafc

Passenger fatally shot on Amtrak train, search underway for suspect
    An assailant in the fatal shooting of a passenger on an Amtrak trainin Missouri remained on the run Sunday as investigators worked to determine why the train traveled for miles before any passengers or crew members reported it, authorities said.

The victim found dead aboard the Amtrak's River Runner route was identified as 30-year-old Richie T. Aaron Jr. of Independence, Missouri, according to the Lee's Summit, Missouri, Police Department.

Police believe the killer exited the train undetected while it was stopped in Lee's Summit, authorities said in a statement released Saturday.

The train with 81 passengers aboard left the depot at Lee's Summit and continued about 20 miles to its next stop in Independence, where police were called around 9:15 p.m. on Friday, authorities said.

Commissario
He wants U.K. police protection when he visits the U.K., not because his US security isn’t up to it and they want the Met to police California. Derp.
Yup

IIRC his US protection have no legal powers in the UK (they wouldn't even be allowed to carry pepper spray as only the police are here), and given he was serving military and despite his estrangement from the family he is still very much a high profile target for all sorts of loons.

Soldato
This is a disturbing thread of people waving their favourite propaganda piece and judging things they may know about at best, third hand. What started as an interesting piece about a problem in Los Angeles (which I can see out of my window) has shown some truly disturbing open opinions from forum members.

California isn't a **** hole any more than London or Manchester etc. is. If you judge something by its worst quality, that says more about you. Whoever said everyone is leaving California for Texas is just wrong. Sure some people are, just as people are moving into California.

It is worth noting that "Right wing" vs "Left Wing" is very different in the UK and the US. I don't want to make the supremacist racists heads of @deuse @thenewoc @Diddums and @Chris Wilson explode but The British conservative party is left of the US democratic party.

The institutional racism in the United States is a proven fact, but it is vastly different from the brand of racism in the UK. @Combat squirrel is unfortunately not doing himself any favours here by missing facts. It opens you up to derailing your intention and allows the crazies to focus on the factual inaccuracy rather than the point you are trying to make. You can't argue with old white men whose entire identity is built from years of feeling superior due to the colour of their skin and the false belief they can "pull themselves up by their bootstraps". We just celebrated Martin Luther King Jr day on Monday and this is my favourite quote of a great man:

“It’s all right to tell a man to lift himself by his own bootstraps, but it is cruel jest to say to a bootless man that he ought to lift himself by his own bootstraps.”

― Martin Luther King Jr.

The disturbing facts are the media with a right-wing bias in the UK is following the right-wing biased media in the US and importing societal problems across the Atlantic. The reason of course is it sells ad clicks and newspapers.

California has far too much liberalism as it has attracted the more crazy bleeding heart liberals from across the country. It has enabled both a homeless problem and a higher rate of crime in some neighbourhoods, the historical racism that the United States was built on then lends itself to a higher rate of incarceration to a disenfranchised racial group. You simply cannot fix that with crazy liberalism any more than you can with right-wing racist extremism. Simply saying "well you shouldn't have broken the law George Floyd!" is so widely missing the mark, it is disgusting to even read. It is the same as saying "well she was wearing a short skirt, so she deserved to be raped!".

As a tax-paying resident of the state of California, it disgusts me that we have these problems like the train robberies taking place. But there are systemic social problems that need to be fixed as well as improvements in law enforcement. It becomes a game of whack-a-mole, they are going to steal from someone, somewhere until systemic issues are improved.

Caporegime
This is a disturbing thread of people waving their favourite propaganda piece and judging things they may know about at best, third hand

I grew up in South Africa during the apartheid years. Not being able to hang out with my black friends because not only was this absolute taboo with the older generation, but because in most cases it was flat out illegal. I witnessed the fall of apartheid when Mandela was voted in and only left in 1999.

So tell me again how I don't know anything about racism?

Just to be clear as both you and the squirrel seem to be missing the point, my political and social beliefs have not at any point been on display in this thread. My previous posts were deliberately reacting in the ridiculous fashion that Combat Squirrel was, in the hope that he'd read between the lines. Sadly he was too busy being offended to try and engage in a reasonable discussion and instead resorted to name calling and running away. He did a fantastic job of garnering support for his beliefs, as are you with your wildly inaccurate assumptions and petty name calling.

People wonder why lefties are often ridiculed, this is why.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Given the vast amount of mess on the rail tracks these parcels must have been stolen, opened and many discarded by a very significant number of thieves, yet I am unable to find any video on the 'net of the thieves in action, which is a bit odd...

Permabanned

Thanks, I suspected it must be desperately poor, emaciated and starving people stealing food and warm clothes for their children. They're obviously using the abundance of empty packaging to carry the food and it merely looks like they are stealing none essential high value goods.

There might be some commonality in their appearance but I can't just put my finger on it...

I wonder why some facets of the media only showed the mess and destruction?

Soldato
This is a disturbing thread of people waving their favourite propaganda piece and judging things they may know about at best, third hand. What started as an interesting piece about a problem in Los Angeles (which I can see out of my window) has shown some truly disturbing open opinions from forum members.

California isn't a **** hole any more than London or Manchester etc. is. If you judge something by its worst quality, that says more about you. Whoever said everyone is leaving California for Texas is just wrong. Sure some people are, just as people are moving into California.

It is worth noting that "Right wing" vs "Left Wing" is very different in the UK and the US. I don't want to make the supremacist racists heads of @deuse @thenewoc @Diddums and @Chris Wilson explode but The British conservative party is left of the US democratic party.

The institutional racism in the United States is a proven fact, but it is vastly different from the brand of racism in the UK. @Combat squirrel is unfortunately not doing himself any favours here by missing facts. It opens you up to derailing your intention and allows the crazies to focus on the factual inaccuracy rather than the point you are trying to make. You can't argue with old white men whose entire identity is built from years of feeling superior due to the colour of their skin and the false belief they can "pull themselves up by their bootstraps". We just celebrated Martin Luther King Jr day on Monday and this is my favourite quote of a great man:

The disturbing facts are the media with a right-wing bias in the UK is following the right-wing biased media in the US and importing societal problems across the Atlantic. The reason of course is it sells ad clicks and newspapers.

California has far too much liberalism as it has attracted the more crazy bleeding heart liberals from across the country. It has enabled both a homeless problem and a higher rate of crime in some neighbourhoods, the historical racism that the United States was built on then lends itself to a higher rate of incarceration to a disenfranchised racial group. You simply cannot fix that with crazy liberalism any more than you can with right-wing racist extremism. Simply saying "well you shouldn't have broken the law George Floyd!" is so widely missing the mark, it is disgusting to even read. It is the same as saying "well she was wearing a short skirt, so she deserved to be raped!".

As a tax-paying resident of the state of California, it disgusts me that we have these problems like the train robberies taking place. But there are systemic social problems that need to be fixed as well as improvements in law enforcement. It becomes a game of whack-a-mole, they are going to steal from someone, somewhere until systemic issues are improved.

You should learn the meaning of the word racist before banding it about.

People dispelling the propaganda around holding GF up as some sort of angel is not racist.

Soldato
The issue isn't that he wants UK police protection, it was more with him wanting the uk tax payer to pony up for it.
I grew up in South Africa during the apartheid years. Not being able to hang out with my black friends because not only was this absolute taboo with the older generation, but because in most cases it was flat out illegal. I witnessed the fall of apartheid when Mandela was voted in and only left in 1999.

So tell me again how I don't know anything about racism?

Just to be clear as both you and the squirrel seem to be missing the point, my political and social beliefs have not at any point been on display in this thread. My previous posts were deliberately reacting in the ridiculous fashion that Combat Squirrel was, in the hope that he'd read between the lines. Sadly he was too busy being offended to try and engage in a reasonable discussion and instead resorted to name calling and running away. He did a fantastic job of garnering support for his beliefs, as are you with your wildly inaccurate assumptions and petty name calling.

People wonder why lefties are often ridiculed, this is why.

Damn times changed for the worse, I left SA in late 80s early 90s, went to a mixed race private school (CBC in Boksburg) some of my best friends were black, I also had some who worked on my dads golf course, one of which was unfortunately stabbed and killed when I was 10 or 11. Not to say I haven't seen my fair share of racism though, some of it was shocking.

Commissario
IIRC he's said he's willing to pay for the cost of his protection.
He can't use his US security in the UK as they don't have any legal standing, and as he sees it, as a member of the Royal Family AND and ex military officer his family is at risk.

Back
Top Bottom