Microsoft buying Activision (World of Warcraft, Call of Duty etc)

Caporegime
Wow, the author of that article is a right negative nancy. Not just about gaming but about the world in general. Needs to lighten up a little.
probably someone who remembers gaming before money killed it and lived through all the developers getting bought by people like EA then closed down.
all the original devs leave the company as they get taken over cos they don't want to pump out 4 games in a specific time frame etc

there's way too much money in gaming these days and everything is about monetisation , anyone who thinks the metaverse will be a good thing is a dreamer.

it will be a pay to win grind fest and there wont be just one, a bunch of companies will have their own.

people are going to spend loads of money on what's essentially a fancy xbox live etc style service being convinced the real world doesn't matter.

it's a horrifying future coming for consumers.

Is MS buying activision bad? probably not for gamers, probably for MS since it's a monumental waste of money.

just think what you can buy with that amount of cash, something like 120-130million xboxs at retail price of 500$

Man of Honour
OP
probably someone who remembers gaming before money killed it

it's a horrifying future coming for consumers.

Gaming hasnt been killed for me, I've spent the last few days playing God of War and its been a superb experience, before that I was having a blast in Project Zomboid and GTFO, before that I was thorougly enjoying myself with Pathfinder 2, Resident Evil Village and Ghost Recon Breakpoint. So gaming is far from killed for me.

Call me a naive optimist but I've yet to see any big purchase in any industry turn out to result in a horrific future for me and I doubt this purchase will result in a terrible gaming future for me either. But like I say, I'm a glass half full kind of guy :)

Don
Call me a naive optimist but I've yet to see any big purchase in any industry turn out to result in a horrific future for me and I doubt this purchase will result in a terrible gaming future for me either. But like I say, I'm a glass half full kind of guy :)

Personally EA buying Westwood, and Activision buying Blizzard were both stand out points that damaged franchises that I enjoyed.

However it's a double edged sword, because if they weren't making sequels and franchises in the first place, they wouldn't have been attractive acquisitions for the boards that want annual release cycles and consistent profits

Man of Honour
OP
Personally EA buying Westwood, and Activision buying Blizzard were both stand out points that damaged franchises that I enjoyed.

I was never really a big player of Westwood games, most of their games didnt click with me anyway. The only 2 Blizzard franchises that I enjoyed were the Warcraft and Diablo IPs. WoW was already dying to me anyway before Activision bought them, for me the WoW decline began just after TBC (which was prior to Activisions buyout), Diablo 3 wasnt as good as Diablo 2 imo yet I still got a good 400+ hours out of Diablo 3 so I cant in all truth say I didnt enjoy it and of course I cant yet comment on what Diablo 4 will be like but I'm assuming I will equally get several hundreds hours out of it. I guess I just dont really agree with the guy who wrote that article as he smacks far too much of a running around shouting that the sky is falling, the end is nigh, repent, repent, sort of a guy to me

Soldato
Meh.

People see $68 B and think that's a lot, but in reality inflation means it's not, and furthermore Mega-Corps like M$ have access to free money, so it's even less so a lot. Plus a bunch of other things I don't want to get into.

For the console war, this is a big deal because COD is one of the few games that sells systems for the mass market so if you don't have it on your box then that's a serious negative point. Same if they were to not have FIFA/NBA. Whether they actually make it exclusive, who knows, I'm not totally convinced, but I could perhaps see a COD exclusive/Warzone free for all split. The reason I'm not quite convinced is because I think the revenue it generates has greater importance than the strategic value of denying Sony the title, plus I think it's more important to shut-out the other cloud giants more than continue to haggle over the scraps of a limited console playerbase.

For PC this might be a positive considering how awful ABK's DRM has been, as well as the general awfulness of their launcher, plus it opens up a lot of possibilities for Blizzard IP which has simply been dumped on for years and years by ABK mis-management.

And finally, for me personally, this changes very little except I might finally play through the COD campaigns if they come to gamepass. Otherwise I consider Blizzard more or less dead and I see little hope of it really going back to its glory days, and rest of the studios & IP are w/e.

Man of Honour
OP
I don't understand the need to lighten up when reporting the news.

Its not so much the news, if you read his article he talks about more than just this piece of news. He talks about the wider scope of the business world. Like I say, maybe he and I are just two people who wouldnt get along in real life, I've no time in life for miserable doom and gloom merchants.

Associate
Pretty much ensures PC ports. Couldn't say the same with Google Stadia, Apple or Facebook if they nab anything.

Sure - but wasnt restricting it only to gaming. Out of that list they are prob the best one - didn't facebook recently lock the Oculus behind a FB account?

Associate
It does make me think of Disney buying marvel and starwars. For the most part (with a couple really terrible exceptions) they've done a good job with the IP. Made lots of stuff with it. Most of it pretty good. Some of it excellent. But if you look at the cinema as a whole in the last decade or so since it happened there has been a serious downturn. I don't think Disney is completely to blame, but I do think just the fact that there is a player that big in the space means that stuff on the fringes just gets pushed out.

I worry that this may do a similar thing. Not really sure what they means in this case. But more power in fewer hands tends to work out badly in the long run.

Soldato
Its not so much the news, if you read his article he talks about more than just this piece of news. He talks about the wider scope of the business world. Like I say, maybe he and I are just two people who wouldnt get along in real life, I've no time in life for miserable doom and gloom merchants.

So what's wrong with telling a story within a larger context? In this case it definitely deserves that treatment. I think calling people miserable doom and gloom merchats is a bit childish really, especially when he's discussing serious issues we're all facing as the Global corpps become ever more powerful, and ever more unaccountable.

But if nasty man say things you don't like then I guess he should shut up right?

Soldato
It does make me think of Disney buying marvel and starwars.

Think this has also been at a detriment to potential customers, although not entirely there fault... speaking to my dad about some of the stuff on Disney+, he never gave it a second look as it's Disney. He likes all the marvel stuff for what it is. Then you have things like the walking dead....

Not saying Disney should rebrand... but I'm guessing my dad isn't the only one that would enjoy a Disney+ subscription but hasn't looked into it because princess' and love stories.

Man of Honour
OP
So what's wrong with telling a story within a larger context? In this case it definitely deserves that treatment. I think calling people miserable doom and gloom merchats is a bit childish really, especially when he's discussing serious issues we're all facing as the Global corpps become ever more powerful, and ever more unaccountable.

But if nasty man say things you don't like then I guess he should shut up right?

I fear you are taking this way too personally, seems that you are also someone that I just wouldnt get on with in real life.

Back
Top Bottom