Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Soldato
Had my first real winter hike finally on top of Lingmoore Fell on Sunday, not sure on temps but definitely below freezing as ground and water was frozen in the morning. Not having "proper" camping winter stuff felt I pushed what I have to the limit without being uncomfortable, but I can see myself replacing and adding few more bits as I go.

Amazing night though, just about clear skies and almost full moon, hike the next day was great too with a full moon rising and sunset that's hard to beat on the other side.

Soldato
New Fenix 7 and Epic 2 look great upgrades to my Fenix 5.
Can't decide between the 7x or the Epix 2.

I saw those yesterday, I'm still rocking the old Fenix 3 so would be quite an upgrade! The screen on the Epix looks good, but I think I'd rather go for the longer battery life of the 7.

Soldato
Yeah, i posted about them in the running thread. I'm on a 6x Pro and it still feels tempting. The flashlight strobe would be awesome for when i'm out running, and stay out a little longer than intended and get caught without a headtorch on country roads. Not quite worth the £1200 it costs for the 7X Sapphire version just to get that though!

Most of the features are software based so i'm hoping they trickle down. It's mainly the edit the watch settings from the app for me. I often play around with data screens/fields and doing that on a watch is pretty fiddly.

New Fenix 7 and Epic 2 look great upgrades to my Fenix 5.
Can't decide between the 7x or the Epix 2.

Would be the 7X for me, if they did the Epic in the 51mm then it'd be more tempting, but i'm a sucker for the size!

Soldato
Yeah, i posted about them in the running thread. I'm on a 6x Pro and it still feels tempting. The flashlight strobe would be awesome for when i'm out running, and stay out a little longer than intended and get caught without a headtorch on country roads. Not quite worth the £1200 it costs for the 7X Sapphire version just to get that though!

Most of the features are software based so i'm hoping they trickle down. It's mainly the edit the watch settings from the app for me. I often play around with data screens/fields and doing that on a watch is pretty fiddly.

Would be the 7X for me, if they did the Epic in the 51mm then it'd be more tempting, but i'm a sucker for the size!
7x Solar Sapphire is available for £859.

Is the larger screen of the X with it over the smaller, it looks like the solar panel takes up most of that extra space.

Last edited:
Soldato
Definitely a big upgrade if you're not on a 6 Pro or other model with maps already. Definitely nothing to warrant the extra $$$ to upgrade my 6 Pro. Kinda glad actually :D

Soldato
Pulled the plug on a 7X Solar Sapphire.
Will be a big upgrade over my 5, maps, bigger screen, plus all the other new stuff.
Was really put of by the amoled on the Epix lot of burn in issues with them apparently.
Plus the extra battery on the 7x means you can leave everything on max like full GPS with dual band, pulse ox.

Soldato
Will be a big upgrade over my 5, maps, bigger screen, plus all the other new stuff.
Was really put of by the amoled on the Epix lot of burn in issues with them apparently.
Plus the extra battery on the 7x means you can leave everything on max like full GPS with dual band, pulse ox.

Awesome, i'd love to say i'm not jealous!

Soldato
Are all foil blankets created evenly? I need one as part of a kit requirement. Given it's Spain i don't forsee me needing it even in the worst of situations but needs must. I was about to buy a pack of 2 for £3 on Amazon, but then thought that given it's something that might be important in the future, wondered if it was best to get something actually capable of the job if they're not all just the same.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline...07417&sprefix=silverline+foil+b,aps,67&sr=8-5

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
I saw those yesterday, I'm still rocking the old Fenix 3 so would be quite an upgrade! The screen on the Epix looks good, but I think I'd rather go for the longer battery life of the 7.

Snap 3HR sapphire titanium and its had a lot of abuse and still in great condition, really tempted by a 7X Solar sapphire in Grey but will probably wait until the Tactix Echo is announced before pulling the plug.

Soldato
I'm on a 5 at the moment that's the switch I'm looking to make as well, can you feedback your thoughts when it turns up? :)

Soldato
Snap 3HR sapphire titanium and its had a lot of abuse and still in great condition, really tempted by a 7X Solar sapphire in Grey but will probably wait until the Tactix Echo is announced before pulling the plug.

Yeh, I've been impressed with mine. I've worn it pretty much every day for the last 6 years or so and it's held up well. I'd just really like the mapping features of the new ones. If I hadn't just forked out £4k for a knee operation so I can actually get back out climbing again I'd be very tempted to treat myself!

Soldato
Yeh, I've been impressed with mine. I've worn it pretty much every day for the last 6 years or so and it's held up well. I'd just really like the mapping features of the new ones. If I hadn't just forked out £4k for a knee operation so I can actually get back out climbing again I'd be very tempted to treat myself!

The 5 Plus range has maps i believe and can probably be picked up fairly cheap. Although it's then not a huge financial jump up to a 6 Pro which has a lot more feautres and then a slippery slope from there!

Soldato
I'm on a 5 at the moment that's the switch I'm looking to make as well, can you feedback your thoughts when it turns up? :)
It's arrived at my house so I'll be having a play when I get home. Fingers crossed I don't regret the jump from the 47mm to the 51mm.

After reading loads about the Epix in really glad I didn't fall for the fancy screen, Google Venu 2 screen burn. It's terrible.

Soldato
Anyone done ML or RCI qualifications on here?

Considering working towards one or both. Not necessarily as a career move, more as a personal development thing, although options are always good :D

Soldato
Anyone done ML or RCI qualifications on here?

Considering working towards one or both. Not necessarily as a career move, more as a personal development thing, although options are always good :D

I've been meaning to the ML for ages. I wanted to do it as a bit of a challenge for myself but also, as it's mainly nav based it would be quite handy to do anyway. My nav is fairly decent but it would be good to up my game with it.

I was planning on booking up the training week in 2020, but then covid hit and I haven't got around to it since. Maybe later on this year!

Soldato
So here is my initial thoughts Vs the Fenix 5.

The 7x is bigger but lighter.
The screen is much clearer.
Love all the new stuff, especially the touchscreen actually really like it.
Glances are great and being able to just swipe through them.

I'll be going for a decent walk on Saturday so see how it performs then.

Edit: Did a 15k hike this morning, I don't know how I managed so long without maps on my Fenix 5.
Absolutely love the 7X I had absolutely every feature set to on and it's highest don't and it still says 36+ hours of battery. The new dual band GPS does seem a little bit more accurate as well so that's a bonus.
The wider strap of the X is definitely more comfortable.
Also the touch screen is brilliant for browsing the map. The screen is plenty clear enough better than my 5 was.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom