The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Soldato
Hazarding a guess that the narration there (from the ring inscription in LotR) is as much story inspiration as they're drawing from the written work and we'll get an irredeemably bad all-original screenplay that would have Tolkien rolling in his grave.

Prepping myself for something even worse than WoT.

Soldato
Except she was well old by that time. It can't be Arwen as she had yet to be born.

They're elves, age has no meaning to them Galadriel by the time of LOTR is already aeons old Elrond thousands

Conversely I'm the opposite opinion - if they actually go to the trouble of making a compelling, epic with a decent story line and attention to detail. There is a ton of interesting background material for the LOTR universe.

As per someone's comment on the title reveal trailer - a show like this is either going to be a masterpiece or a train-wreck - there is little room for a middle ground.

So long as they stick to material from the silmarillion etc fine - once they start pulling material out of their arses then thats the point I'll probably walk away

Soldato
They're elves, age has no meaning to them Galadriel by the time of LOTR is already aeons old Elrond thousands

So long as they stick to material from the silmarillion etc fine - once they start pulling material out of their arses then thats the point I'll probably walk away
Apparently it looks like its focusing on Isildur, from what I've read the 1st 2 episodes will be a recap type thing/events leading up to him gaining the ring.

Soldato
Flipping hell, Lenny flamin Premier Inn Henry. How on Earth did he land in this?! :eek:
I wondered the same about Mel ******* Gibson doing Shakespeare, but it turned out he was very well suited to the role of Hamlet...
I'll reserve judgement on Henry until after I see it.

Not sure I've heard of anyone else in the cast, though.

Soldato
I wondered the same about Mel ******* Gibson doing Shakespeare, but it turned out he was very well suited to the role of Hamlet...
I'll reserve judgement on Henry until after I see it.

Not sure I've heard of anyone else in the cast, though.

I liked Henry’s portrait of the tortured soul that was The Phantom Flan Flinger, but he’s not done anything of note since.

Soldato
I hope not as every Tolkien fan I’ve heard mention that says it’s mind-bending lay dull and difficult to read.

It is but the same could also be said about LoTR… The lore is there though and if it’s used appropriately then all LoTR material has fantastic potential. Look at the films for example.

Soldato
The Silmarillion isn’t a story like like LotR is, it’s an overview of the history of the universe Tolkien created and all the major events that occurred in it. It’s like a bible rather than a novel. The entire Third Age where the films take place and which ends when Sauron is finally defeated is only 20 or so pages, for instance.

I personally enjoy it for what it because of the totality of the world-building and all that art that has been created over the years which references specific moments in it, but for any of it to ever work in another medium you’d have to take one story and expand it significantly like was done with Beren and Lúthien.

Soldato
The Silmarillion isn’t a story like like LotR is, it’s an overview of the history of the universe Tolkien created and all the major events that occurred in it. It’s like a bible rather than a novel. The entire Third Age where the films take place and which ends when Sauron is finally defeated is only 20 or so pages, for instance.

I personally enjoy it for what it because of the totality of the world-building and all that art that has been created over the years which references specific moments in it, but for any of it to ever work in another medium you’d have to take one story and expand it significantly like was done with Beren and Lúthien.

People think they're getting another LOTR or Hobbit and they're disappointed when they find it is a basically an exposition of Lore, and a very good one at that. In my mind the "failure" of The Silmarillion lies with the reader who hasn't looked into what the book actually is, and not the author.

Soldato
Surely this can't be any worse than the abysmal Hobbit trilogy? Can it? Actually, with the way things are going of late, it possibly could be :(

My hopes are not high, but I'll keep an eye on the reviews just in case as I'd love it to be good.

Oh it can easily be worse than the Hobbit trilogy, they were made before woke cultural vandalism got it's talentless fingers on popular entertianment and started strangling the life out of it. The Woke of Time showed us exactly where Amazon LOTR is heading.

I wouldn't trust Amazon with anything except delivering parcels, their creative output is mostly terrible, this is like entrusting the World's most expensive and valuable ingredients to a Maccies burger flipper and expecting them to come up with a World class fine dining expereince.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom