Major U.S. airlines warn 5G could ground some planes !

Soldato
43dBm is still pretty powerful considering 100mw is enough for an RF signal in open space to travel 20-30 miles. It was a guess though so its allowed to be wildly inaccurate :)

What RF kit do you have with that performance? 4G mobiles have a maximum EIRP of 24 dBM (0.25W) and they don’t have half that range even with the extremely complicated rake receiver arrays on the base stations.

My 5W VHF Motorola walkie-talkies manage 2 miles direct line of sight on a good day.

Commissario
In summary - lots of maybe, potentially blah blah. Nothing concrete and we are guessing there maybe a problem.
It reminds me of the 80s when the government released all their crap about the offshore pirate radio stations and the ‘potential’ risk to life due to interference where they churned out loads of utter rubbish that looked convincing to anyone with no actual knowledge of the subject matter.

Soldato
Indeed thought 'we' had learned to follow the science now - unless you have better qualifications than the 3 who did the foils.

- haven't flown for a while but is airplane mode still obligatory during take-off ? have they done some extensive blind A/B trials

Soldato
so google suggests cliff notes are part of the uk education dumbing down process - some kind of precis for those too proud to push.

Soldato
And you've contributed what? A link to a document you don't understand... and dismissing someone with practical RF knowledge. Cracking effort.
You've said literally nothing other than pick on people quoting industry experts?

I once owned a Walkman, doesn't make me an RF expert.

Soldato
What RF kit do you have with that performance? 4G mobiles have a maximum EIRP of 24 dBM (0.25W) and they don’t have half that range even with the extremely complicated rake receiver arrays on the base stations.

My 5W VHF Motorola walkie-talkies manage 2 miles direct line of sight on a good day.

TX16S radio with ExpressLRS module over 2.4Ghz at 100mw, it's what I use for my FPV drones/planes, I've never had mine out that far as output power on my video transmitter is limited to 25mw, but the same RF equipment with 1.6w video power has had it over 30 miles at 100mw RF output.

I'm basically limited by my video output power, RF range will never be a problem.

Commissario
43dBm is still pretty powerful considering 100mw is enough for an RF signal in open space to travel 20-30 miles.

And I've transmitted 150mW and it's been received in New Zealand but that's worthless here. It's just not possible to compare these things. Different frequencies, different transmission modes, different aerials. Every situation is different.

Soldato
And I've transmitted 150mW and it's been received in New Zealand but that's worthless here. It's just not possible to compare these things. Different frequencies, different transmission modes, different aerials. Every situation is different.

Indeed. Comms isn't a trivial thing to look at on a simple level and jump to a conclusion. Just to add some numbers (for the wiki warriors) I work from DC to 40GHz, mW to 100W and anything to do with PHY 1 wrt comms applications.

Soldato
Health impact of 5G
EPRS | European Parliamentary Research Service Scientific Foresight Unit (STOA) PE 690.012 – July 2021

8. Policy options 8.1 Opting for novel technology for mobile phones that enables RF-EMF exposures to be reduced The sources of RF emissions that seem at present to pose the greatest threat are mobile phones. Though transmitting installations (radiobase masts) are perceived by some people as providing the greatest risk, actually the greatest burden of exposure in humans generally derives from their own mobile phones, and epidemiological studies have observed a statistically significant increase in brain tumours and Schwann cell tumours of the peripheral nerves, mainly among heavy cell-phone users.hh
- you know what to do.
e:maybe this why many of the bright young things impose their conversations on hands-free

Last edited:
Soldato
It reminds me of the 80s when the government released all their crap about the offshore pirate radio stations and the ‘potential’ risk to life due to interference where they churned out loads of utter rubbish that looked convincing to anyone with no actual knowledge of the subject matter.
What was the risk of life, was it interfering with emergency services? I do remember the days in the 80s when you could listen to Police on even a clock radio in the high VHF range where you would often find pirates as well, especially in London, so maybe it was to do with that?

Back
Top Bottom