What watch do you wear?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I believe it's the 8215 movement. I agree about the looks, but it does go well with my Producer Michael shirts :p

Where's the briefcase of Jacob watches then, fess up :D

Just thought to add a quick pic of what just underside AR (even though it's very good AR) vs underside and front side AR coating. I don't know how many layers Laco use on this but the Aachen I had was 13 layers and this feels similar. How it diffuses reflections from lights is quite cool.

If there is ever the option of top double sided AR vs just underside, opt for both sides I'd say. Any decent brand will use multi layers on the top side anyway so scratches are a non issue. Laco use 13 layers in total :cool:

vs_stowa_ARcomp1.jpg

wristshot_angledatdesk_2.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone have a recommendation for some decent 26mm quick release based straps that might also be decent for exercise?

At the moment i have a cheap rubber strap on my Garmin Fenix 6X and whilst it does the job fine for running etc, it's pretty crappy looking if i'm ever going out and so something that looks much better. However i would also like something that wouldn't completely fall apart if i did use it for exercise too. Say if we were away for the weekend and i didn't take a spare strap with me.

I was in a jewellers the other day and noticed a poster for Hirsch Performance Straps which is what put the idea into my head, but they don't seem to fit 26mm lugs
https://www.hirschstraps.com/collec...ap-in-blue-09150750802?variant=40241259774136

Soldato
NOMOS beats Rolex/Omega in global quality study: https://www.watchpro.com/nomos-beats-rolex-and-omega-in-global-quality-study/?amp

Only had one NOMOS in the past and the quality was indeed excellent. They don't have anything in my current tastes though but maybe one day again in the future...
While I'm not going to say NOMOS is bad or anything (because they're not), I always question 'results' when there could easily be some bias with the results by the IMWF Institute for Management and Economic Research — a Germany-based consultant on strategic and operational management in press relations, marketing and risk management. NOMOS being German and the others being Swiss based etc and then there being one test, availability, where we all know the other two will lose points. NOMOS as good as they are just aren't as 'popular' (artificial or not) as Rolex or Omega.

My biggest issue with NOMOS is more a case of I like that watch (zurich world timer) but do I like it £3-4K worth of liking it.

@Martynt74 26mm lug width is a pretty uncommon size so you'll likely struggle with finding off the shelf straps. You might find something on etsy or from a google for custom straps, albeit they'll likely be pricey.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I did think that, but their study revolves around sourcing millions of trends online, social media etc so unless they only cherry picked all the Pro NOMOS ones (which seems unlikely) I don't know how they could be biased given the source material largely being consumers themselves in the millions.

All being said, I only had one gripe with my NOMOS and the same would apply to them all really and that's the tiny crown. Not the best to grip and use. Granted they are automatic movements so needing to use the crown is rare but still, Bauhaus cases and dials are quite big, a slightly bigger crown would not go amiss.

Soldato
I did think that, but their study revolves around sourcing millions of trends online, social media etc so unless they only cherry picked all the Pro NOMOS ones (which seems unlikely) I don't know how they could be biased given the source material largely being consumers themselves in the millions.

You likely know as well as I do how the online social media hype train portrays rolex as 'god tier' horology (it's not lol) while at the same time complaining about their availability, scalping and price, not to mention AD 'preference lists'. Omega is now getting the same sort of treatment because they've started restricting supply a little more.

Nomos on the other hand is a bit of a weird one, they're easy to buy (likely most of the difference in points) and they're highly regarded by watch collectors/owners etc but I wouldn't say their brand has been a hit with influencers (god I hate that term) like rolex and omega. Even though we don't own one our reasons aren't about the quality, it's about value (in my case) and small design choice (the crown) in your case.
instagram for example: #rolex 24 million, #nomos 89 thousand (and some of them aren't even nomos posts lol)

I wouldn't be shocked that if they were to take out the availability element they'd be far closer together.
The funny thing is that some of those forums they've used to come to their conclusion are questioning the result due to 'nationalism', it doesn't help that you can't easily find a breakdown of the data anywhere.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Essentially, we need access to the base data to come to a full on conclusion :p So yeah on that I agree. I;d still pick a NOMOS though over a Rolex/Tudor this time round if it was for myself to keep. Only reason for me to get one of the others would be a view to flip at a time in the future.

Actual vintage models aside of course but they're always £££££ so we can forget about those I guess lol.

Soldato
Essentially, we need access to the base data to come to a full on conclusion :p So yeah on that I agree. I;d still pick a NOMOS though over a Rolex/Tudor this time round if it was for myself to keep. Only reason for me to get one of the others would be a view to flip at a time in the future.

Actual vintage models aside of course but they're always £££££ so we can forget about those I guess lol.
Yeah conclusions without actual data is annoying but like you I can't say I'd buy a Rolex either, but then I doubt I'd be allowed on the list lol, and would likely buy a NOMOS first. There's a couple of tudor/omega I don't mind but they fall in that 'bad value' category I have so not something I'd be rushing for either lol.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Cheers, I managed to find two buckles that should suit nicely, a vintage dark grey Titanium buckle that was weirdly cheap on eBay and ships from Italy it seems. For €7 it was a no brainer. And an Omega style folding clasp --one of those thin profile ones-- that replicate Omega's mechanism but in matte black. Whichever I find more comfortable I'll keep on the strap and keep the other on the grey camo canvas strap incoming.

I reached out to Laco about matching dark buckles but turns out they do not produce a darkened version to match the cases of any of their watch ranges which I thought was a bit weird.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
On a mission to have a number of straps on rotation for the Laco and seen Barton have a new series which looks rather cool, it's silicone/canvas hybrid but their colour scheme in grey/black looks to be a perfect match to the Laco's grey case and black dial. I am going to order it with the gunmental buckle which also looks like a match. That's gonna be a realy nice strap combo I feel :D

bNJRubl.png

Associate
Since sending my Seamaster in as it was stopping after 10 mins when fully wound Ive been looking a bit more closely at my other watches and most are within 1 / 5 sec per day apart from my Oris Carysfort which is running aproximately +25, contacted Oris and they asked me to monitor it over 5 days, currently day 3 and its around 1min 15 sec fast - looks like I'm sending this one in as well.

They mentioned magnetisation although my understanding is if a watch is magnetised it runs very erratic and can lose or gain a number of minutes a day, plus I used the Lepsi app and the needle trick and neither test results pointed towards this being the cause :(

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
If the hairspring is magnetised the watch will run generally fast, not erratic as the magnetism is pulling the spring tighter - You can easily check this by ordering a demagnetiser off Amazon, only about a tenner. I have one and used it on my Miyota watches that had wholly metal hairsprings.

On your watch though may be something else because if I've looked it up right then it uses the Sellita SW330-1 movement. All Elabore and above grade Sellita movements use a Nivaflex spring so are non-magnetic whilst the basic grade uses Nivatronic which has no ant-imagnetic properties.. Oris don't state what grade the SW330-is though in that watch. If it's just the basic grade then yeah it could well be magnetism and a £10 demagnetiser will do the trick. if it's an Elabore grade though then it might have received a shock one day taking the regulator out of whack.

Also because it's a Sellita movement you should be able to drop it into any half decent watchmaker. There's nothing special Oris have done to it other than relabel it with an Oris reference.

Soldato
I've posted before trying to get a value, but we've finally made the decision now to move the watch on.

Is there any benefit to trying to sell a watch privately vs selling to one of the online brokers? I don't see many private sales and i imagine when buying something like this there's a lot more confidence from the buyers side to go with a broker.

I've sent a few enquiries and had prices range from £3500 at WatchCollectors to £5300 at Watchfinder. As it's an older watch it makes it a little hard to find any prior sales online. It's a 1990 Rolex Datejust 68273 with a jubilee dial and diamonds at the intervals.

I've seen a few for sale but without the jubilee dial, and then the ones which do state a jubilee dial don't seem to be the same as this

WaGRgvc.jpg

Is there a kind of definitive Rolex catalogue i can use to get the exact details? I have the purchase receipt but it doesn't seem to state the exact model.

Hi, looking for some advice if anyone can help?

I have a Tag 2000 Chrono, its an old model my wife bought for me when we got married. It's been on my wrist for the past 15 years or so and is now knackered, it no longer tells the time, the case and strap is scratched etc. has anybody ever sent their watch in for a complete service? would these issues be fixed? the price seems to be 325 quid according to the website.

thanks.

Associate
If the hairspring is magnetised the watch will run generally fast, not erratic as the magnetism is pulling the spring tighter - You can easily check this by ordering a demagnetiser off Amazon, only about a tenner. I have one and used it on my Miyota watches that had wholly metal hairsprings.

On your watch though may be something else because if I've looked it up right then it uses the Sellita SW330-1 movement. All Elabore and above grade Sellita movements use a Nivaflex spring so are non-magnetic whilst the basic grade uses Nivatronic which has no ant-imagnetic properties.. Oris don't state what grade the SW330-is though in that watch. If it's just the basic grade then yeah it could well be magnetism and a £10 demagnetiser will do the trick. if it's an Elabore grade though then it might have received a shock one day taking the regulator out of whack.

Also because it's a Sellita movement you should be able to drop it into any half decent watchmaker. There's nothing special Oris have done to it other than relabel it with an Oris reference.

Thanks for the info, appreciate you looking into that, will take a punt for that price may as well keep one in even if it doesn't fix my Oris. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom