Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Associate
Can you suggest a good trading platform in the UK for day trading? Ideally it'd be good it if it had paper trading as well.
I am currently using ig.com for ISA but they only have paper trading for CFD and Spread betting

Caporegime
Can you suggest a good trading platform in the UK for day trading? Ideally it'd be good it if it had paper trading as well.
I am currently using ig.com for ISA but they only have paper trading for CFD and Spread betting

You realise there is stamp duty to pay on UK equities?

Soldato
being hammered at the moment (looking at fund value) for choosing a bond heavy mutual ,totally my own fault for reading the blurb ,this is the least volatile option instead of doing my own research ,but as high interest rates kill bond value ..................my etf is doing better but i sort of think i would rather track our own ftse rather than the s&p500 on the plus side its sparked my interest in investing again

Soldato
yes looking at my etf big us weighting biggest assets been
Security Weight

MICROSOFT CORP 3.57%
APPLE INC 3.36%
AMAZON.COM INC 2.09%
TESLA INC 1.27%
ALPHABET INC 1.26%
ALPHABET INC 1.20%
META PLATFORMS INC 1.11%
NVIDIA CORP 0.87%
TAIWAN SEMICONDUCTOR MANUFACTURING 0.73%
JPMORGAN CHASE & CO 0.72%

United States 56.83% Japan6.31% United Kingdom 3.89% Switzerland 2.68% China 2.64 %Canada 2.56 % France 2.55% Germany 2.27% Australia 1.77% Netherlands 1.74%

think i may start a separate ftse tracker but i realy have no idea what i am doing ,

Caporegime
Can we have less flapping of handbags and more posts about people panicking that their high risk gambles are going down the toilet?

Cineworld up 32% since I bought a few weeks ago. Their news about dodging the merger / buyout sent their shares tumbling like crazy so I had a look, it almost feels naughty. Their shares are 30p a pop so it feels like penny trading but with a massive multi-billion dollar company. Wish I'd lumped more in tbh.

I'll likely be doing some more research on them soon as I reckon there's a lot of growth room in them yet.

Caporegime
Oil companies having a nice rise too. Slow and boring but maybe though investing in renewable have hit the sweet spot with the way energy prices going. Paying billions for offshore wind acreage doesn’t look so bad right now.

Caporegime
Oil companies having a nice rise too. Slow and boring but maybe though investing in renewable have hit the sweet spot with the way energy prices going. Paying billions for offshore wind acreage doesn’t look so bad right now.

BP is one to watch, they're going pretty much all-in on renewables, I'll probably add some to my portfolio this month too.

EDIT: Here's an article from September, worth a read.

https://www.reuters.com/business/su...ig-fast-transition-oil-renewables-2021-09-20/

Caporegime
Where are you all buying/selling your stocks?

I use Freetrade at the moment but it's only an app on my phone. I also have a Trading212 account but something about them feels off so I don't use them.

Obviously do your research on a proper PC however, the apps don't give out nearly enough info to make informed decisions on.

Caporegime
BP is one to watch, they're going pretty much all-in on renewables, I'll probably add some to my portfolio this month too.

EDIT: Here's an article from September, worth a read.

https://www.reuters.com/business/su...ig-fast-transition-oil-renewables-2021-09-20/

Yeah been a rocky one for the last 2 years especially when they hit 186. But that has allowed some nice employee share option prices (and some great dividend yields) Really it’s the big oil companies who are gonna be pushing the renewables forward not some start ups. With oil price so high it’s gonna be time for some nice share buy backs too.

Soldato
Sitting out for a bit. At some point rates have to rise and bond prices will fall and take stocks with them. I don't want to be in when that happens. Plus covid, russia/ukraine, china/taiwan, gas prices, it's all a bit much for me to try to reason about.

Caporegime
Guys need some advice (not financial)

Is there an easy way to transfer shares from broker to broker without sell-withdraw-deposit-buy?

It might be a bit more Muddied in my case because at present the stock I want to transfer is not in an isa. And it's grown to point where it would probably be better to transfer this year than next. As limit is 20k?

As I understand it. Because it involves a buy-sell anyway maybe it is better to just do this manually? (I don't think you can transfer to an isa without buy-sell?)

The old broker is very old. It's a tedious sign in process etc. Changing address, withdrawing etc is always a hassle.

It's 7k's worth of aviva shares which also obviously pays a decent dividend. I didn't expect it to nearly double.

This may not be an issue as its my. Only dividend paying stock and I believe there's a 2k allowance also?

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Sitting out for a bit. At some point rates have to rise and bond prices will fall and take stocks with them. I don't want to be in when that happens. Plus covid, russia/ukraine, china/taiwan, gas prices, it's all a bit much for me to try to reason about.

Kind of my feelings. I have stopped putting in a stocks and shares ISA for now because I fear the market is going to have a big old crash this year. I understand the logic behind time in the market over timing the market but there comes a point where a crash of some magnitude is imminent and throwing money into it at this point just seems mad.

Soldato
I will also be holding off any individual buying right now.

I did put some money in some Tech stocks (fairly small amounts), which are all down right now - some @ 25%. For the moment, its a hold on to them whilst they hopefully regain.

Caporegime
I'm thinking of exiting and remortgaging a year early.

Currently on 1.79 percent and have 1 year and a month left.
With all market turmoil and wider issues. Inflation etc I can't afford to be on some horrendous interest rate in a year's time.

Rough times ahead.

Tech has taken a hit recently. But if it really starts to bite.. Could be a significant crash.

Can't blame people for sitting out.

Caporegime
some people must have been buying the dip for like 6 months now, how many more dips can they afford.

Intel stocks refusing to move downwwards so must be as low as it can go.
going to be interesting to see how much NVDA and AMD are going to keep falling by since the P/E are so damn high

I wonder if EV stocks are about to get slaughtered inline with normal car stocks

Back
Top Bottom