Microsoft acquire Activision

Associate
Nintendo don't sell at a loss and they have done pretty well. They don't need gamepass on sony, they can sell them full price games for the privilege of playing COD and co.

They usually all sell at/near a loss at launch, but as the tech ages it becomes cheaper to produce and they start breaking even or make a small profit.

The Switch is so old at this point that it probably costs very little to produce, relative to the launch production costs.

Soldato
The key words here is "Existing agreement".

When those contracts are up, who knows?!
THe thing is though, MS would be stupid not to release COD on playstation.

why? because they can generate a ton of money from Sony players vs just releasing cod on xbox and PC.

THink of it in a simple way.

There is 100 xbox users and 200 ps5 users right now, COD 2024 comes out and its xbox/pc only but at that time, xbox now has 200 ps5 100.

xbox sells $200 by selling it on xbox and pc. or they make it available for ps5 and now they sell $300 combines xbox/pc and ps5.

Basically, not every single console gamer is going to jump to Xbox/pc. Sony will always have a large chunk of console players and MS will be plain stupid not to make money off of them

Caporegime

why? because they can generate a ton of money from Sony players vs just releasing cod on xbox and PC.

There is 100 xbox users and 200 ps5 users right now, COD 2024 comes out and its xbox/pc only but at that time, xbox now has 200 ps5 100.

xbox sells $200 by selling it on xbox and pc. or they make it available for ps5 and now they sell $300 combines xbox/pc and ps5.

Basically, not every single console gamer is going to jump to Xbox/pc. Sony will always have a large chunk of console players and MS will be plain stupid not to make money off of them

I know, but StarField says "hold my beer".

There are arguments for both ways.

Associate

Sony still wins on exclusives - they have some of the best AAA games and it's not like they're available elsewhere except for some PC ports.

If you have a decent PC then an Xbox isn't worth much except where you want to play games on your TV and the PC isn't/can't be hooked up, etc.

Soldato

It's not just about the numbers for that game, or any game, Microsoft are making Xbox the place to go to with an incredible offering.

You get people to buy the console, they buy battery packs and additional controllers, subscribe to Game Pass, buy other games, DLC, etc., For years.

They might make less on the next few CoDs but overall they make more but also it's about the brand. Sony has been seen as the powerhouse for exclusives and exclusive content, MS had to try and change that perception.

It's hard to get a PS5 still, there are a lot of PS4 owners looking for their next console and MS are making Xbox look a very attractive proposition.

Personally I prefer the PS5 despite everything as the controller is better in my opinion. But if it's a choice of playing for "free" on GP or paying £70 on PS I'll be using my Series X a lot more unless it's a Sony exclusive.

Man of Honour
Didn't people say this wouldn't happen and it would be like the Bethesda deal?

This is identical to the Bethesda and Minecraft developer acquisitions.

Existing contracts are honored (e.g. Sony exclusivity), and games as a service remain multi platform. Any flagship single player or non-GaaS game will be made exclusive.

Bethesda’s Elder Scrolls Online, Activision’s CoD (at least the F2P versions), and Blizzard’s Overwatch will all remain multi platform.

Permabanned
What ever happens you know this **** is working for MS when even me with around 2 years left on my GPU was looking at ways I could add to it using the conversion method after hearing the news.

on a side not my brother in law was asking about new consoles (a few months ago), my advice was to get a series s and game pass. The first thing he asked me was if call of duty was on game pass. Even though cod has lost its shine over recent years with the like of Fortnite and other battle royal type games casuals still eat it up every year.

I think Ubisoft or a capcom would be excellent acquisitions for Sony.

Soldato
It's not just about the numbers for that game, or any game, Microsoft are making Xbox the place to go to with an incredible offering.

You get people to buy the console, they buy battery packs and additional controllers, subscribe to Game Pass, buy other games, DLC, etc., For years.

They might make less on the next few CoDs but overall they make more but also it's about the brand. Sony has been seen as the powerhouse for exclusives and exclusive content, MS had to try and change that perception.

It's hard to get a PS5 still, there are a lot of PS4 owners looking for their next console and MS are making Xbox look a very attractive proposition.

Personally I prefer the PS5 despite everything as the controller is better in my opinion. But if it's a choice of playing for "free" on GP or paying £70 on PS I'll be using my Series X a lot more unless it's a Sony exclusive.
THere is more money to be got from games and its mini transactions. not consoles or control pads.

COD warzone 2 for example . imagine making 2 billion from xbox only players? whjat abotu an extra 1-2 billion from Playstation players?

That is where the money is at, not in just one platform.

Look at pubg on mobile. Its on both android and apple and they have made the most money in 2021.

Console exclusives are stupid and MS and Sony realized this from 2 generations ago.

Sony are not even releasing there titles on PC now.

Sorry but exclusive is kind of a dying form. If you want to make money, you release your game in as much platforms as you possibly can with micrtransactions on it

Soldato
What ever happens you know this **** is working for MS when even me with around 2 years left on my GPU was looking at ways I could add to it using the conversion method after hearing the news.

on a side not my brother in law was asking about new consoles (a few months ago), my advice was to get a series s and game pass. The first thing he asked me was if call of duty was on game pass. Even though cod has lost its shine over recent years with the like of Fortnite and other battle royal type games casuals still eat it up every year.

I think Ubisoft or a capcom would be excellent acquisitions for Sony.
COD is a dying breed. Your bro maybe asking for it but COD is losing its numbers from fortnite etc.

Man of Honour
Console exclusives are stupid and MS and Sony realized this from 2 generations ago.

Sorry but exclusive is kind of a dying form. If you want to make money, you release your game in as much platforms as you possibly can with micrtransactions on it

You should call Microsoft immediately and let them know as they are clearly too dumb to realize this, they are even buying studios and committing to future games being exclusive to their services en masse! They’re missing out on all those Sony, Nintendo, and Linux sales!

Or maybe Microsoft know that services and getting people committed to monthly income trumps the occasional game purchase.

Soldato
MS isn't spending this cash for short term return and my hunch is all these titles will go exclusive at some point. So what if they lose money on the next few CoDs? Their plan is to offer a service that's so good no gamer can turn it down and, rightly or wrongly, they are on the right track. I have barely turned my PS5 on since launch. Infact my experience of using the PS5 is turning it on and having to update each time as it gets used so little. My Series X gets played most days and that's all down to Gamepass. And Gamepass hasn't even started to stretch it's legs yet.

For what it's worth I don't like that things are heading this way. I find myself buying 3rd party stuff on the PS5 just to give it some air time. On the other hand, i'll be playing co-op games with my mates all weekend, just like most weekends, and that's all down to Gamepass. I need to finish Halo too, start ME Remastered and give Hitman 3 a go. Death's Door is also fantastic btw - I bought that at launch and it was my fave game of 2021. Now all of these are free on Gamepass.

Back
Top Bottom