Sunday Times to investigate OLED Screen Burn Issues

Soldato
Thanks for these updates, I found them very interesting as I bought my TV from Littlewoods and am now in a similar boat to you. My set was bought in August 2016 so according to very, I guess that means that I would be entitled to 0% refund, this despite paying almost £3.5k...I would expect a tv costing so much to last longer than 5 years.

I have made some initial contact with LG (live chat) & whilst they said that the panel needs to be replaced, they did not offer me the £200 repair as they don't have any B6 panels in stock. In fact, they told me to try Curry's for a repair. I have followed this up with an email to LG to say that I feel that this response is unacceptable and am now waiting for a reply.

Would you be willing to share the correspondence that you had with LG and Very, it would no doubt prove to be extremely helpful?

LG was basically all via phone. I informed them had screen burn / image retention. Had to prove it with a video. They said “yep it’s faulty” , and then said it would cost me £200 to have it replaced.

VERY was a whole different ball game with a lot of hand written letters sent via recorded delivery threatening legal action. I was literally at the very end process before having to go to court , when I offered them the £200 option ( as in they pay my costs ) , to which they agreed.

This is a copy / paste of the end email from them ( edited the bottom ) :-

Email address is [email protected]

“Thank you for your recent communication about your faulty Tv.

This is to confirm that the amount of £200.00 has bee applied and will be released shortly.

Please allow for a contact to confirm method of payment.

If you have any further queries, please do contact us.

This email and its attachments are confidential to the intended recipient. If this has come to you in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. You must take no action based on this email, nor must you copy or disclose it or any part of its contents to any person or organisation. Please note that email communications may be monitored. The registered office of The Very Group is First Floor, Skyways House, Speke Road, Speke, Liverpool, L70 1AB. Registered in England number 04730752.

Subsidiary companies within The Very Group include: “

Last edited:
Associate
LG was basically all via phone. I informed them had screen burn / image retention. Had to prove it with a video. They said “yep it’s faulty” , and then said it would cost me £200 to have it replaced.

VERY was a whole different ball game with a lot of hand written letters sent via recorded delivery threatening legal action. I was literally at the very end process before having to go to court , when I offered them the £200 option ( as in they pay my costs ) , to which they agreed.

This is a copy / paste of the end email from them ( edited the bottom ) :-

Email address is [email protected]

“Thank you for your recent communication about your faulty Tv.

This is to confirm that the amount of £200.00 has bee applied and will be released shortly.

Please allow for a contact to confirm method of payment.

If you have any further queries, please do contact us.

This email and its attachments are confidential to the intended recipient. If this has come to you in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. You must take no action based on this email, nor must you copy or disclose it or any part of its contents to any person or organisation. Please note that email communications may be monitored. The registered office of The Very Group is First Floor, Skyways House, Speke Road, Speke, Liverpool, L70 1AB. Registered in England number 04730752.

Subsidiary companies within The Very Group include: “

Thanks

Soldato
On another more extensive burn in thread that I check from time to time C8 owners have been reporting burn in lately so expect C9 owners to follow next this coming year. Seems to be happening around the 3 year mark.

However, I haven't seen anyone pushing and not getting a resolution. Retailers are powerless on the matter as the law is clear and are only hoping that you're not aware of your rights and you don't push for a refund or replacement.

My c9 still going strong no issues after thousands of hours gaming

Associate
My opinion is that burn is not an issue since 2018. Panels since then seem to have better burn in protection. Also software has been improved to protect against burn in. I see that a lot of people get put off from oled due to burn in but it’s really not an issue anymore. Oled tech is far superior than anything else so far.

Man of Honour
My opinion is that burn is not an issue since 2018. Panels since then seem to have better burn in protection. Also software has been improved to protect against burn in. I see that a lot of people get put off from oled due to burn in but it’s really not an issue anymore. Oled tech is far superior than anything else so far.

The risk is still there, albeit cases reported seem fewer, but then little time has passed. For certain uses oled his still a high risk. I don’t think anyone would question is superiority, but it’s not worth the risk for many. I exclusively game on mine and with HUD elements on the screen for hours at a time the the risk is elevated making current oleds an undesirable option.

Caporegime

It's a bit of a stretch to say it isn't an issue on any set from 2018 onwards. There are plenty of examples on forums and the likes of Reddit to show it still occurs, even on the latest models.

Improvements have been made but OLEDs aren't completely protected from it and I doubt they ever will be. The best protection you can get is a warranty that will cover it.

Soldato
It's a bit of a stretch to say it isn't an issue on any set from 2018 onwards. There are plenty of examples on forums and the likes of Reddit to show it still occurs, even on the latest models.

Improvements have been made but OLEDs aren't completely protected from it and I doubt they ever will be. The best protection you can get is a warranty that will cover it.
Maybe the fact that companies offer warranty on burm in says its less likely (but not inpossible) to happen?

Associate
RS have agreed to pay the £200 LG charge for a replacement panel for burn in on our OLED.
Sent a quick email with pictures of said issue and citing some CRA 2015 and RS came back with a "as a gesture of goodwill we'll pay the £200 - arrange it with LG and we'll reimburse".
LG OLED55B7V purchased in May '2018.

Associate
Same as @Beenom, RS will reimburse the £200 LG repair fee. LG OLED55E6V from March 2017. Just got to arrange it all now. Going to lose my 3D but I get a brighter panel. Can't remember the last time I watched a 3D anything so I guess no great loss.

Associate
Well done both. Always worth pushing. I actually ended up selling my 55b7v to my ex son-in-law for £500 and bought a cx model instead. He’s happy and I’m so impressed with the cx.

Cheers glad to have done it, the image retention is accelerating quickly with purely Netflix/Youtube usage (i.e. all non-static image viewing), crazy fast degradation over the past 2-3 months.

Associate

I'm sure it still occurs but prior to the 2018 models, you needed to be careful how you watch but now, as long as you watch sensibly and don't have constant static images over a very long time then the risk is minimal.

Associate
After my initial concern I was going to be batted back and forth between Richer Sounds and LG everything worked well. I think RS only really wanted to know that LG could/would fix the TV and how much. TV was collected, panel replaced and returned all according to schedule and RS have refunded my repair fee. Hopefully the new panel will last another 4+ years before I jump to whatever the latest and greatest is then.

Certainly happy to use RS in the future

Associate
I’m having a bit of a nightmare with my 55B6. LG confirmed the screen needs replacing but want a call grand to do so. RS have been very difficult to deal to.

I’m at the point where I want to tell them both what they can do with the TV.

Soldato
I’m having a bit of a nightmare with my 55B6. LG confirmed the screen needs replacing but want a call grand to do so. RS have been very difficult to deal to.

I’m at the point where I want to tell them both what they can do with the TV.

go back to them and say you know for a fact 55b7v owners are getting screen replacements for £200. If they say bs I can provide proof .

Associate
And mine was £200 for a 55E6.

@Awahwah I assume yours is still under warranty and the fault is just burn in/image retention and not something bigger?
Is under warranty with RS.
Small amount of burn but mine has has a black screen flashing and pink screen problem.

Update today, RS have kindly offered to collect the screen and do with as they please - meaning they will take it away and walk away.

Back
Top Bottom