The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
One from Saturday

IMG-20220115-123708-01.jpg

Soldato
Ah, well, I do!

That's my local (popped in for a few pints and a quick lunch with a mate in Saturday)

The hot peas, tartare, butter and fish on stodgy white bread washed down with a cold pint (or two) really hits the spot :D

Soldato
No pictures but I've just had a Blazing Bird burger, naga chicken strips and fries from Five Akhi's in Milton Keynes.

We've had food from there a few times and it's always been great. Today was no exception. This is the first time I've had the naga chicken strips and they're borderline too spicy for me. Tasty, but a bit too hot.

Caporegime
I just ate 8 mcains hash browns cooked at 200c in a conventional oven, with a half a can of baked beans hob cooked via electricity.

tasted so good I turned the oven back on and cooked the same again.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Not now, but last night. Decided to make some burgers again. Only this time using the electric hob and frying pan as opposed to gas hob / BBQ and a flat plate. Followed a new recipe too, with a couple of things different. Ended up being the best burger I've ever made, and certainly up there with the best I've ever eaten! Really, really hit the spot and went well with the sweet potato fries from the air fryer.

iq5Iajx.jpeg

This was the recipe I followed:
https://cooklybookly.com/recipes/4b6eb174-8707-11ea-abf6-73fdcc90960e
Only changes / limitations I had were:
Used 400g 15% beef, all I had at the time. Definitely needed the higher fat content to bind it a bit more, but the flavour was phenomenal even with 15%.
Only had French's mustard so used that for both mustards.
Didn't have any pickle juice for the sauce, and it did need something acidic to cut through it a bit, albeit it was still perfectly tasty without; may try apple cider vinegar next time.

And I need to find some other rolls. Used some.brioche ones from Waitrose (Heston?) which were pleasant enough, but not quite what I wanted...

Oh and I need to get a better utensil for smashing them. Our spatula had too many holes and was a bit flimsy. May just buy an actual cast iron type press...

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh and I need to get a better utensil for smashing them. Our spatula had too many holes and was a bit flimsy. May just buy an actual cast iron type press...

Good looking burger. I always miss out as my wife isn't a fan of most supermarket brioche (we also usually end up with the Heston ones) as they seem to always be a little too sweet, and we end up with ciabatta rolls. They're nice but don't have the same burger feel as brioche.

She bought me one of these years ago and i just use the top section for smashing my burgers in the pan, although when looking i did see Amazon have some cast iron ones like you mentioned with wooden handles which look great
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Asdirne-St...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Soldato
I use a metal potato masher with foil wrapped around it. Oil the foil a bit so it doesn't stick to the patties. I can't wait to get my new kitchen/cooker with a cast iron griddle bit for steak and burgers. Always scared I'm going to ruin my nice pans like this.

That recipe looks good but maybe too much mince per patty? I think Serious Eats only uses 50g per patty (2 per person) so you get a much thinner burger.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
I use a metal potato masher with foil wrapped around it. Oil the foil a bit so it doesn't stick to the patties. I can't wait to get my new kitchen/cooker with a cast iron griddle bit for steak and burgers. Always scared I'm going to ruin my nice pans like this.

That recipe looks good but maybe too much mince per patty? I think Serious Eats only uses 50g per patty (2 per person) so you get a much thinner burger.
Well I ended up with 100g per patty, but they weren't super thinly smashed. I probably ended up with 10mm thick and to be honest it was about right, it filled the bun quite nicely like that. I could try and mess around with less / thinner and see how it goes. I don't think the wife was very appreciative of it though - she loved it, but she's trying to be on a health kick and ending up with a 1000 calorie meal didn't make me the most popular person :cry:

Soldato
Needs black pudding and a fried slice. I can't remember the last time I had fried bread. I think I may do a fry up tomorrow morning.

Personally I'd bin off the mushrooms and tomatoes as I'm not a fan.

Back
Top Bottom