• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC Gamer: RX 6500 XT looks worse on paper than AMD's $199 GPU from six years ago

Associate
I don't think we are seeing that. We've just been told that there is 20% price hike in TSMC chip costs. And you should certainly be looking at price you can purchase now when doing comparisons of price to performance if you was trying to buy a card unless you've got a time machine to prepurchase accordingly.

20% cost increase on everything accross the board with no negotiation ?

Soldato
I wonder how it looks if you compare the 6500XT to the 5600XT.. I'd guess about 10-20% performance regression depending on the game :eek:
I reckon the 5600xt would be a better deal, if you can find one at a reasonable price, even 5500xt are going for over £300 second hand, theres 3 on F/B at the moment going for £330 each

Bottom line in my opinion, is at least you've got an option around £200 ish, albeit, its a dog, but an option never the less. Alternatives are 1650/super, 5500xt, 580 4gb, 1060 6gb, all are probably more expensive, used, unknown history, no warranty, overall better performing htough, its not much of a choice, but still an option

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think we are seeing that. We've just been told that there is 20% price hike in TSMC chip costs. And you should certainly be looking at price you can purchase now when doing comparisons of price to performance if you was trying to buy a card unless you've got a time machine to prepurchase accordingly.
We've been told a lot of things and it's all part of the marketing push by the industry to gaslight consumers into accepting that this level of price performance is now normal going forward so once the crypto craze dies down they can maintain these same prices for gamers and keep the record profits rolling in.

Caporegime
We've been told a lot of things and it's all part of the marketing push by the industry to gaslight consumers into accepting that this level of price performance is now normal going forward so once the crypto craze dies down they can maintain these same prices for gamers and keep the record profits rolling in.

Indeed.

People need to use reason here.

The only reason for the situation is because these are literal money printers and have been paying for themselves within months.

Mining profitibilty collapses = normal gpu market again.

Don't listen to any manufacturer or retailer that says otherwise.

Associate

Agreed, you can't maintain growth when the profit margins of the previous 8 quarters have been anomalous unless you can perhaps shift the narrative.

Associate

Thing is we would never be party to the true details of what the terms are when $billions corporations negotiate deals.

I've no doubt that TSMC prices have gone up. At least for new contracts. Or urgent contracts. And AMD like all big customers has a mix of "fixed" prices (things they negotiated years ago) and almost "spot" prices. Knowing how over cautious they have been over the years ("we'd rather underorder than get caught again. We'd rather sell little and make a higher margin, rather than actually get a return on our sunk costs of design/masks etc."), AMD's share of "fixed" and "spot" may be rather poor but while I don't doubt that if you want a new 7nm wafer you may pay $20k, they must have plenty in their mix where they paid $10k or even less.

Soldato

The issue is we in the west,have not learnt that tying all our financial systems to speculation on short-term profits/margins and this is causing longterm damage. Hence the accountants just concentrate on jacking up prices,and servicing less and less customers. At the same time they want to cut cost on R and D,to make the margins higher so you have stagnation which is what you saw with Intel for years with their quad core CPUs.You are seeing it with our hobby - lower margin customers are now not considered of any importance.

The reason for the dotcom crash and subprime was because everyone was more worried about short term bets instead of looking longer term. Its leading to situations where our own companies are giving up lower end and middle range customers worldwide. Just look decades ago with cars and how Japanese car companies started from the bottom,or Chinese companies especially with smartphones,when Apple/Samsung ignored lower margin markets. So what happens is new competitors arrive. Its why Japan/SK/China centred companies have taken so much business from our own companies over the last 50 years. Its even why TSMC and Samsung eventually stole a march on our own companies like Intel,etc.

The problem is now with consoles,smartphones,etc being so common and relatively cheap something like 75% of 2020 gaming revenue was not on the PC.

Soldato
Associate
So if the 6500xt was benched on a gen 4 mobo, with gen 4 capable cpu, ie, B550/B560 mobo and 5600x/intel 11400, the overall score, I reckon would be a fair closer

Not sure tbh, I would have thought that everything is loaded in VRAM for Heaven and seeing as 8GB card's show as 4GB i'm presuming that's the max amount it needs.

Associate
For all the hate, this is a 1080p card for medium settings, at a reasonable price.

It's about making it passable for the majority, which is 1080p gamers. Without making it too attractive to miners.

So if anyone thinks they are picking up a bargain 3050, 10 seconds after launch, should think again.

Soldato
For all the hate, this is a 1080p card for medium settings, at a reasonable price.

It's about making it passable for the majority, which is 1080p gamers. Without making it too attractive to miners.

So if anyone thinks they are picking up a bargain 3050, 10 seconds after launch, should think again.
The trouble is with the 6500XT having such a poor showing everyone now will want the 3050.

Back
Top Bottom