Major problems with Firefly Enthusiast pre-build

Associate
Hey - the booklet which arrived with my PC advised me to call a number between 09:00 and 17:00 on Saturday if something was wrong, but it appears in reality the lines are not open until Monday. Hoping to get some help here in the meantime as I try to enjoy my new PC while self-isolating from Covid this weekend.

I received this build yesterday: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...re-i7-11700kf-geforce-rtx-3070-fs-1dz-og.html

I went with a 2tb Samsung SSD, 32gb Ballistix RAM and a TP Link 1300 USB WiFi adaptor. I also bought a Samsung Odyssey G7 27" monitor, which I'm using alongside an older 22" Benq GL2450. Let me know if any more detailed info on components is needed and I'll see if I can find it out.

I'm having severe problems with the computer. I decided to test out the graphics and downloaded Witcher 3 - 7 years old at this point so a modern system with this power should eat it for breakfast. It ran fine for about 15 minutes, then I got a BSOD. Caught me completely by surprise, so I didn't note down the error on screen, but the severe error I found in the event viewer said the following:

BugcheckCode 26
BugcheckParameter1 0x61941
BugcheckParameter2 0x408aa41
BugcheckParameter3 0x1d
BugcheckParameter4 0xffffe20bf93ff3c0
SleepInProgress 0
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
BootAppStatus 0
Checkpoint 0
ConnectedStandbyInProgress false
SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0
CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0
BugcheckInfoFromEFI false
CheckpointStatus 0
CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2 0
LongPowerButtonPressDetected false

Since then, that game has continued to CTD on a regular basis, but without the BSOD.

I also downloaded Minecraft (or rather I was sent a download for the launcher by a friend, as for some reason I got an access denied error for the website). At first, it ran well, but when I returned later having given up with Witcher, it was crashing within 10 seconds.

Happily Minecraft gives error logs, which said EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005). There's a lot more info than that if someone needs it.

This morning I haven't been able to get it to crash again yet, but my fps has dropped from around 111 to about 40.

The only other game I've downloaded is Sayonara Wild Hearts, which seemed to run without any problems. However it's far less demanding on the system than the other two. From what I can tell from Coretemp, the system is not overheating - no cores went above 50C playing Witcher 3 on max settings.

Other issues I've had:
  • The clock was inexplicably set to 01/07/2022. I'm not sure if it jumped forward, or was set wrong to begin with, but since I didn't notice it until it started causing a tonne of errors with Steam and Chrome, I'm leaning towards the former.
  • Event viewer is showing a tonne of errors and warnings. These are WLAN-autoconfig errors, errors and warnings for DistributedCOM ('the server did not register with DCOM within required timeout') and a mass of over a hundred warnings about various programmes 'stopping the removal or ejection for devices PCI[massoftext]', all of which occurred at precisely the same time.
  • This morning, Windows suddenly decided it hadn't been activated yet. I put in the product key and it said it couldn't add it, but I think it did anyway (task failed successfully?). Is it normal for Windows to not be activated on a pre-built PC?
  • There's a problem with the displays. When I play Witcher 3, the main display cuts out and cuts in again, and in the process moves everything from the secondary monitor to the primary one. This effectively means I cannot use the secondary monitor while playing something else in fullscreen mode on the main one, which is the primary reason I have two monitors in the first place.
I'm not the most skilled person with computers or troubleshooting and I'm quickly running out of ideas. I've updated drivers for the monitor, the WiFi adapter and the SSD, downloaded Nvidia's control panel and GeForce experience which tell me my graphics card driver is up to date and ran a memory diagnostic which found nothing. I disabled Malwarebytes and it didn't stop the issues.

I must say I'm rather disappointed to have this many and this severe problems out of the box for a very expensive pre-built PC, particularly as I'm going to need to wait until Monday at the earliest to get hold of OCUK customer service.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

Soldato
Turn off xmp in the bios, try with one stick of ram then the other.. Ensure there is no over clock applied

Flash the latest bios if it's not already done.. Remove and reseat everything Inc the ram.. Remove any USB devices other than kb/mouse.. Remove any cards other than gfx (if there are any)

Check there are no updates to windiws or drivers avaliable

Associate
OP
Turn off xmp in the bios, try with one stick of ram then the other.. Ensure there is no over clock applied

Flash the latest bios if it's not already done.. Remove and reseat everything Inc the ram.. Remove any USB devices other than kb/mouse.. Remove any cards other than gfx (if there are any)

Check there are no updates to windiws or drivers avaliable

Looks like there might be a Windows update available, so I'm trying that now.

Could you talk me through the BIOS stuff you mention? I'm not sure what I'm doing there. If I need to do something with the computer boot up screen there's a slight issue, in that the PC boots faster than the monitor does and it doesn't display anything until I need to put in my password

Man of Honour
@BadNeighbour you paid good money for a pre-built pc, i'd suggest sending it back to ocuk to get it rectified.
i definitely wouldn't be playing with any bios flashing if you don't know what you're doing, as if done wrongly, could brick the motherboard and the blame would rightly fall on you :)

tl;dr = send it back, don't touch it

Associate
OP
@BadNeighbour you paid good money for a pre-built pc, i'd suggest sending it back to ocuk to get it rectified.
i definitely wouldn't be playing with any bios flashing if you don't know what you're doing, as if done wrongly, could brick the motherboard and the blame would rightly fall on you :)

tl;dr = send it back, don't touch it

Yeah if there's any danger of me doing more damage I'll stay away from BIOS stuff lol, thanks for the advice.

I'll try some of the less dangerous suggestions just in case. I thought for a sec a Windows Update had solved it, but Witcher just took a bit longer than normal to CTD

Man of Honour
All it says about the psu in the description is "700W 80Plus Bronze Rated PSU" which usually means it has a crappy Kolink in it. Please tell me they didn't fit a garbage Kolink psu in a £1900 pc? For that money I would be expecting at least a gold rated psu from a decent brand. If it is a Kolink it wouldn't surprise me to find it causing these problems as they are poor quality units that they get for very little money. Many problems have been solved by switching the psu out for one from a decent brand. Can you confirm the make of the psu for us please? I think you need to remove the right hand (non windowed) side panel to be able to see the psu in that case.

Associate
OP
All it says about the psu in the description is "700W 80Plus Bronze Rated PSU" which usually means it has a crappy Kolink in it. Please tell me they didn't fit a garbage Kolink psu in a £1900 pc? For that money I would be expecting at least a gold rated psu from a decent brand. If it is a Kolink it wouldn't surprise me to find it causing these problems as they are poor quality units that they get for very little money. Many problems have been solved by switching the psu out for one from a decent brand. Can you confirm the make of the psu for us please? I think you need to remove the right hand (non windowed) side panel to be able to see the psu in that case.

Overclockers to their credit got in touch with me since this, with a bunch of troubleshooting steps, and after taking out each RAM module individually and running on one, and finding that it ran fine both times, I've put both back in and not had a crash since. I can only assume one of the RAM sticks wasn't in properly.

As for the PSU, I've tried to look but I can't get the damn side panel off - taken off both screws and it just does not want to budge. Worried about bending it out of shape at this point.

Last edited:
Soldato
As for the PSU, I've tried to look but I can't get the damn side panel off - taken off both screws and it just does not want to budge. Worried about bending it out of shape at this point.
No need to look inside.
If you or OcUK didn't specify anything else, its crappy Kolink.

Associate
Same has happened to me, although my built hasn't been shipped yet but it already mentions 'Kolink bronze PSU 850w'. Overclockers doesn't sell any in A or new conditions. So it's most likely a B grade. Which is pretty **** because I just paid £2,2k for my entire built (although I was going to do some changes when it comes), would have at least hoped they'd send something better PSU wise- it's literally the only thing I see in my list I dislike. Going to test it when it comes and sees what happens. Looking through the threads recently seems like they are using the Kolinks for these kind of builds.

Associate
We use Kolink heavily in our systems and they've proven to be more reliable than some of the Superflower, Corsair and BeQuiet models that we have used in the past and a lot more reliable than XFX that we used briefly last year.

I'm yet to experience anything that makes me doubt their quality and, since I know the guy who designs them and I know how much he knows about PSUs, I don't expect to either.

The reason why they are so competitively priced is because we've been able to cut out a couple of the middle men that usually take their cut on the more recognised retail brands.

There are of course more premium devices available. However if you think about it, for ocuk to save a few quid vs the cost of returns, and support, it doesn't add up if they were not good. Just a few unsubstantiated comments from those who may not have even had first hand experience.

That said, I have not owned one either... so.. :D

From a cursory look online reviews seem to rate them well enough as a good budget psu.

Back
Top Bottom