• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC Gamer: RX 6500 XT looks worse on paper than AMD's $199 GPU from six years ago

Soldato
This is the only Nvidia alternative to the RX 6500 XT. Are you guys saying that AMD released a worse deal than this???? There's no threads criticising Nvidia for continuing to make such a shocking-value-for-money 1050Ti.

Yes, it's true that the RX 6500 XT has poor performance. That's fact. However, graphics cards in the entry level segment have always had poor performance. The only thing wrong with the RX 6500 XT is the name IMHO. AMD should have called it an RX 6300 XT. The issue is that reviewers and you guys are comparing it to the RX 5500 XT which makes it look like stagnation.

In normal circumstances, this GPU would have beeen about £130 and it's worth that. Prices has doubled because of the pandemic/shortage. That's not AMD's fault. I've recently bought building materals which have honestly doubled in price since the start of the pandemic. I'm not blaming the builders merchants for scalping etc. It is what it is.

Soldato
OP
Something I will concede to AMD here is that, if they did put some out at a significantly reduced RRP, scalpers would be on to them, and they would soon find their selling value being sold on in existing market conditions. From that perspective, I would rather AMD had a bigger slice than random people profiteering.

It would be even better if they put enough volume into the market there was a chance of prices staying reasonable, but that's a big ask.

Soldato
This is the only Nvidia alternative to the RX 6500 XT. Are you guys saying that AMD released a worse deal than this???? There's no threads criticising Nvidia for continuing to make such a shocking-value-for-money 1050Ti.

Yes, it's true that the RX 6500 XT has poor performance. That's fact. However, graphics cards in the entry level segment have always had poor performance. The only thing wrong with the RX 6500 XT is the name IMHO. AMD should have called it an RX 6300 XT. The issue is that reviewers and you guys are comparing it to the RX 5500 XT which makes it look like stagnation.

In normal circumstances, this GPU would have beeen about £130 and it's worth that. Prices has doubled because of the pandemic/shortage. That's not AMD's fault. I've recently bought building materals which have honestly doubled in price since the start of the pandemic. I'm not blaming the builders merchants for scalping etc. It is what it is.

There's way too much dribbling that AMD is doing this specially.

You need to be dropped on your head to be surprised in 2022 that gpu value is worse than 5-6 years ago. Specifically if you're in tech circles which everyone here is.

This is another card in a long list of cards which is very expensive for its performance compared to better times and it is selling because its the current going rate.

Associate
There's way too much dribbling that AMD is doing this specially.

You need to be dropped on your head to be surprised in 2022 that gpu value is worse than 5-6 years ago. Specifically if you're in tech circles which everyone here is.

This is another card in a long list of cards which is very expensive for its performance compared to better times and it is selling because its the current going rate.

MJaybe stock levels are dropping slowly due to people buying prebuilts.. have faith !

Associate
The one thing that has surprised me is how slow criminals have been on this. So many soft targets holding tens of thousands worth mining rigs, just waiting to be plundered. In a way, I hope some gangs do eventually think of it as it may put scumbags off of mining.

Associate

Why are you apologising for AMD ? You're a consumer like the rest of us aren't you ?.. performance regression.. get with it man !

But yes.. even naming it the 6500 would have given them some wiggle space.. marketing disaster.. but wait.. 6550XT will £250 with +50% performance !!

Last edited:
Associate
Theres only one or two ways things will return to anything resembling how things were 2 years ago, mining crashing totally and/or people refusing to buy these products at current prices
Pie in the sky thinking! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
I think at the minimum it would to be an "and". A total mining collapse will reduce prices but only the scalped part.
So a slow return to MSRP and potentially less pre-scalped cards like this one or the 3080 Ti etc.
However, Unless "because I'm worth it" gamers stop overpaying for, especially, the higher end cards then none of the manufacturers are going to really respond as real lower prices will eat into their margins.
Lower margins, or more precisely, lower priced cards might save the PC gaming market in the long term whereas the crazy high prices might kill it.
So long term more reasonable* prices would make these companies more money in the long term. But the stock market (especially in the West) doesn't care about long term.

*But still higher than the historic norm. However much some like to deny, costs have risen and new nodes have monstrous costs hence why there are so few fabs. These fabs operate like shall countries in terms of budgets. The barriers to entry are huge and that's better the Americans throwing their weight around to determine who can and who cannot but ASML equipment etc.

The one good thing about higher prices: it should discourage a bit of landfill now that cards no longer double in performance every 18 months.

Soldato
Personally I think the 3050 is gonna be scalped to hell and back, and the miners are gonna go for them too, hope I'm wrong though
Not sure miners will be so keen considering the recent price drops to ETH have hit profitability quite hard, even a 3080 is now Only making around £1.50 a day after electric so this card is likely to be around 60p a day at the current rate which is not a great return.

Associate
It will likely take a while to rebalance, and I don't know if the current crash will continue or if it just bounces back up again like in the summer. But fingers crossed, if the various crypto prices keep dropping though the next couple weeks we might actually be seeing the start of the end of the price crazyness. My dream right now is that by spring, crypto is in the toilet and the used market is flooded with everything from RX570s to RTX 3090s at well under MSRP... We can but hope

Last edited:
Permabanned
Even if Crypto prices continue further down I don't see that lasting for long and any temporary drop in GPU prices will only increase again when crypto increases again.

And if miners were sensible and had enough profit banked from before then there's no harm in continuing to mine even with low crypto prices if they have belief that the prices will rise to where it becomes very profitable again. Some may well leave the game and call it quits for now but still think they'll be many who carry on mining regardless.

Back
Top Bottom