God of War

V F

V F

Soldato
Thanks, that does help, I had thought this was something to advance the story. I shall explore elsewhere for now.

You get some very nice enchantments from them though and there is something special to use for killing them all. Though, this mainly benefits New Game Plus.

Associate
Thanks, that does help, I had thought this was something to advance the story. I shall explore elsewhere for now.
You need to be a certain level with decent armour before taking on the valks otherwise you just get rinsed. Something I learned the hard way on my PS4 play through :D. They all have different attack patterns so you just have to die a few times to learn them. Though some are remarkably easier than others. Except the the Queen...she took me about 30 tries...on Normal!

Soldato
Tempted by this though it is not really my sort of game. What is combat like as I tend to have trouble when it is required that a sequence of key presses are required to dodge etc?
Played the Witcher and must say enjoyed it even though combat could be a bit tiresome at times.
I suppose I could by it on Steam and play for an hour or so and refund if I do not get on with it?

Associate
Is anyone playing this on a 9700k + rtx2070 at 1440p?
What setting are you playing on?
To avoid crashes (Getting an error message: GPU stops responding. This error is often due to a driver issue or instability from overclocking), have to play mainly on original settings?
Drivers are upto date and have no overclock in place?

Soldato
For those of you who have completed the game already / before, can you tell me is there a point of no return or final area in terms of concluding the story? The reason that I ask, is that without the incentive of the story to progress, I am likely to lose interest and not bother doing the new game+ stuff. I'd therefore like to do all the areas and find all the loot before actually completing the story...

Associate
Is anyone playing this on a 9700k + rtx2070 at 1440p?
What setting are you playing on?
To avoid crashes (Getting an error message: GPU stops responding. This error is often due to a driver issue or instability from overclocking), have to play mainly on original settings?
Drivers are upto date and have no overclock in place?

Not exactly but I'm using a 2700x with a 2070 at 1440p. I have Textures and Anisotropic Filtering set to Ultra with the rest on High. It runs above 60 at native and with DLSS set to quality it ofc runs far better but has an odd sharpening effect that I don't like, so I keep it set to native.

Associate
Tempted by this though it is not really my sort of game. What is combat like as I tend to have trouble when it is required that a sequence of key presses are required to dodge etc?
Played the Witcher and must say enjoyed it even though combat could be a bit tiresome at times.
I suppose I could by it on Steam and play for an hour or so and refund if I do not get on with it?

At it's basic level it's very similar, light attacks, heavy attacks, tap the dodge button to sidestep, double tap/mash for an evasive roll. Hold gaurd to bring out a shield, tap at the right moments to parry (the window is very generous as well).

You do start to unlock different attacks and abilities but they have simple controls such as simply holding an attack button for a different action, or just pressing/holding two different buttons at once (shoulder buttons or triggers on controller) to cast a spell, throw your axe etc.

It's very responsive, has a good weighty feel and so far has been pretty steady for unlocks. I've not felt overwhelmed with controls/combat options at any point and it's been pretty easy to figure out the best way around each type of enemy after a few encounters.

Soldato
At it's basic level it's very similar, light attacks, heavy attacks, tap the dodge button to sidestep, double tap/mash for an evasive roll. Hold gaurd to bring out a shield, tap at the right moments to parry (the window is very generous as well).

You do start to unlock different attacks and abilities but they have simple controls such as simply holding an attack button for a different action, or just pressing/holding two different buttons at once (shoulder buttons or triggers on controller) to cast a spell, throw your axe etc.

It's very responsive, has a good weighty feel and so far has been pretty steady for unlocks. I've not felt overwhelmed with controls/combat options at any point and it's been pretty easy to figure out the best way around each type of enemy after a few encounters.
Thanks. :D

Associate
I'm 14 hours in now and hugely disappointed with this game. No way is it "The greatest game ever made" as many say. No story, few characters, invisible walls, just hack and slash, and infuriating puzzles. Good graphics don't necessarily make for a good game

Witcher 3, shadow of the tomb raider and horizon zero dawn are far better

Man of Honour
I'm 14 hours in now and hugely disappointed with this game. No way is it "The greatest game ever made" as many say. No story, few characters, invisible walls, just hack and slash, and infuriating puzzles. Good graphics don't necessarily make for a good game

I dont get it. I just dont understand how you can say it has no story. Its got a mass of story and lore. I also dont see what you find infuriating about the puzzles, if anything the puzzles are too easy, not at all infuriating. What is it you are finding infuriating about them?

Its not the greatest game ever but its a darned good one imo. Way better than Horizon which I never completed and got bored of each time I've tried it, better than Shadow of the Tomb Raider too imo then again I actually think that Rise of the Tomb Raider is better than Shadow, so I dont view SoTR as even the best one of its trilogy. I also prefer God of War over Witcher 3 which I actually think is overated. I mean here I am, this uber Witcher, yet I struggle to climb over small fences and the combat in Witcher is janky as hell, even many of the lauded quests in Witcher 3 are just fetch quests.

GoW isnt the best ever game but imo its a corker of one. I guess you must like something about it because nobody puts 14 hours of their life into something they dont like.

Associate
I'm a few hours in. The production value and scale of the set pieces is quite staggering. The combat is quite deep too I find. I just wish he'd give the ''Boy!'' a hug!

Permabanned
Only technical complaint so far is the audio, the voices are muffled and at times I can barely make out what the characters are saying....slightly annoying.

Agreed, the puzzles are easy and just stops the flow of the game, if anything there's not enough good combat, most the enemies can be beat by spamming the attack and dodge button. I've upped the difficulty to make it more interesting,

Also the whole upgrade and inventory UI is a cluttered mess.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom