***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Soldato
So I finally tried out the Wilkinson Sword DE razor tonight and erm yeah, I'm really disappointed. The 3 blade throw aways give a closer more comfortable shave, what gives?

My face is sore and it didn't cut anywhere near as close as the Wilkinson Sword Hydro 3s I was using before it. Am I doing it wrong!?

Associate
What gives? Do tell us more.

How did you prepare your face?
Did you use a brush and properly lather up with a traditional soap or cream?
Did you use any after shave product?
Have you looked at any of the online training videos?
The razor you have would be rated average. I'm not talking about quality. I mean it's not too mild and not too aggressive.
Do note that the choice of blade is very personal - what works for one could be rubbish for someone else.

The tutorials here are very well respected.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sharplologist

Look at your technique and buy a sampler pack of blades to try.

https://www.connaughtshaving.com/samplepack.html

And keep chatting here or on any on the shaving forums.

(There is a strong possibility you pressed too hard. Light touch is needed - let the weight of the razor do the work.)

Last edited:
Soldato
What gives? Do tell us more.

How did you prepare your face?
Did you use a brush and properly lather up with a traditional soap or cream?
Did you use any after shave product?
Have you looked at any of the online training videos?
The razor you have would be rated average. I'm not talking about quality. I mean it's not too mild and not too aggressive.
Do note that the choice of blade is very personal - what works for one could be rubbish for someone else.

The tutorials here are very well respected.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sharplologist

Look at your technique and buy a sampler pack of blades to try.

https://www.connaughtshaving.com/samplepack.html

And keep chatting here or on any on the shaving forums.

(There is a strong possibility you pressed too hard. Light touch is needed - let the weight of the razor do the work.)

I just put nivea shaving gel on with my hands I don't really enjoy shaving or want to treat it as some kind of ritual I imagine the people who do this are the same people who take an hour to take a dump where as me personally these things are an inconvenience and I want them done and out the way as fast as possible so I don't think a DE razor was a good idea for me but I'll stick with it until the blades are used and see if I can improve my method

I picked up some stuff from that youtuber you linked to so thanks for that, I probably did press to hard but pressing lightly does nothing I really don't understand where I'm going wrong with it

Soldato
I just put nivea shaving gel on with my hands I don't really enjoy shaving or want to treat it as some kind of ritual I imagine the people who do this are the same people who take an hour to take a dump where as me personally these things are an inconvenience and I want them done and out the way as fast as possible so I don't think a DE razor was a good idea for me but I'll stick with it until the blades are used and see if I can improve my method

I picked up some stuff from that youtuber you linked to so thanks for that, I probably did press to hard but pressing lightly does nothing I really don't understand where I'm going wrong with it
Interesting angle - I definitely would agree that it will take a while to learn the new method - that's likely true of most changes of tool in life.

I picked up DE shaving about 3 years ago and initially enjoyed the ritual element. I still do, but I'm also conscious that it costs me time and becomes diminishing returns. So last week I was in a hurry and decided to see if I could get a good enough shave just whipping round for a single pass and touch-up. I actually didn't fill the sink, left the hot tap running (this would be really wasteful if I took my time).

It worked well! The first shave was a bit rough and sore, but the second was fine. I'm now going to see if I can improve my no-nonsense fast shave time to save water.

YMMV but I'd say stick with the DE until you get familiar with it - yes there's a bit of a learning curve. Disposable multi blade razors make things really convenient and foolproof but I just couldn't go back to the level of waste. My last stick of shave soap lasted well over a year, and besides blades there's so little other stuff needed.

Soldato
@LuckyBenski

I can only do one pass and with the grain, against the grain is a big no for me, ingrown hairs galore but with the grain zero ingrown hairs

More than one pass and my face looks like I've poured boiling water on it

I would 100% feel guilty about using plastic which is one of the reasons I want this to work out but I need convenience so I'll keep trying for now and if it doesn't happen I think I'll end up going electric

Associate
I agree with lucky. DE shaving does not have to be a time consuming ritual, and it isn't for me. I gave up on modern multiblades when I was in my 50s because my increasing white beard was getting much tougher. The cartridge razors would not do the job and cost a lot. I use Feather blades - the sharpest on the planet and I can get a very close one pass shave though I mostly do two - that costs me and extra 30 seconds!

Is Nivea shaving gel an oil based product? Most gels are lubricants rather than soaps. A soap or cream holds water against the beard - a gel introduces a lubricating oil against the skin and keeps the water away. My son uses multiblades but a trad lather - that can work well - gel with a DE? I'm not sure if that is ideal.

I would try the Palmolive Classic Shave Cream for about £2

https://lloydspharmacy.com/products...AxXDIWXwnIa8hZQPcHAc6E_36qSXOq5BoC9KYQAvD_BwE

And best to work up a lather with a brush. Supermarkets and Pharmacies still sell basic brushes and quite cheaply.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wilkinson-...04&hvtargid=pla-652295077838&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

With a cream you can work the lather on your fave, in you hand or in any suitable cup, mug or bowl.

Or you can get a shave stick

https://www.boots.com/boots-origina...cRT63zajPoyoyfER9_hoChbkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

£1.75 and it will last months. You can wet your face and rub the stick on it then lather up with a brush, or you can work the lather in your hand or a bowl.

And do see what other blades you can find in store - any with 7'oclock or Gillette on the label are worth a try, so also Boot own Brand. As I said the blade can make a very big difference.

Yes, as you learn new skills it will take a little more time, but once you have found what works it needs take no longer that what you have been doing with a gel and cartridge razor.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Ive been DE shaving for over 10 years now, even 1 pass gets me a better shave, i use a proraso cream, whip it on with a brush and go with 1 pass with a merkur slant and a Gillette 7 o clock blade. Far better than the 3 odd blades I used to use before. Far less skin irritation aswell.

ive never really done the pamper shaves that some do.

Associate
Same for me Tinders, except I use a Slant with a Feather blade and Taylor's cream. Always a no fuss quick job. Can't be doin' with any messin'.

I do use an Alum block after a cold water splash to close the pores.

Soldato
It's getting to that time of year when I shall be asked what I want for Christmas, so would anyone like to spec me a great shaving brush please? I've always used cheap synthetic ones, which do the job but tend to lose a lot of bristles. Not sure about synthetic or badger.

Associate
The latest generation of quality synthetic brushes are excellent.

Consider

https://www.edwinjagger.co.uk/edwin-jagger-ivory-shaving-brush-synthetic-silvertip.html

I prefer an ivory handle rather than anything dark or fancy as it hides the inevitable build up of soap between deep cleans.

Note the advice to use a brush stand. This is so it dries with the "bristles" pointing down - all the water and residual sediment drains out of the brush and not into it.

The size of the brish is a matter of personal choice. I prefer "Large" in the Jagger range.

There are other quality synthetics:

https://www.muehle-shaving.co.uk/cl...=sort_order_asc&page=1&filters[]=4-Faux+Ivory

Look at their Best Seller:

https://www.muehle-shaving.co.uk/cl...dium-faux-ivory-synthetic-fibre-shaving-brush

Soldato
Thanks for that, I use a brush stand already so that's covered. Good to know that synthetics have come on a bit, I do feel a little uncomfortable with the thought of using badger.

Associate
I have a Jagger Badger and a Jagger synthetic in the same large size. I prefer the synthetic. It is a little firmer than the Badger, but not as firm as the Boar brushes I have used.

the lather with the synthetic is excellent.

Associate
I wouldn't use a gel at all, but a proper lather worked up in a bowl with a brush and either soap or shaving cream.

Shower to warm, hydrate and soften your beard.
Optionally use a pre-shave cream (a supermarket own brand hair conditioner would do the job.)
Lather with a good brush and bowl using a shaving soap or shaving cream.
After shaving splash with the coldest water you can bear.
Optionally close pores by rubbing with an alum block.
Apply a post shave cream (E45 lotion would do). Avoid spirit based after shaves.

Multi Blade cartridge razors can themselves cause irritation especially if you have curly hair. Ingrowing hairs can become a problem and they say Afro hair with its tight curls is the most difficult for this. A single blade razor used correctly should be easier on the face.

Gels are oil based lubricants. Soaps and creams hold water close to the skin to keep the beard soft.

Google will reveal lots of advice.

Associate
The sleeve of 100 Voskhod blades I bought a few years ago is finally running low so seeing as it's still my favourite blade, it's time I stock up on some more.

Ordered 150 blades (a sleeve and a half) for under £12 delivered, from Russia (where they're made). If I use no other blades, at a blade a week that's three years worth of comfortable, BBS shaves. Marvellous. :cool:

Where did you get your Voskhod blades? Executive shaving want £27 plus delivery.

Back
Top Bottom