***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Soldato
I must be odd, i DE shave or electric shave depending how bothered i can be.

I used to buy polsilver iridiums and iridium supers by the thousand and found them the best blades but they stopped making them now.

Still have a lifetime supply left i expect. They are not sharper or longer lasting than other blades but i seem to get less nicks with them and never had a real cut using them.

Use multiple soaps and some creams, honestly i can use cheap or expensive ones and just pick whatever.

The brush is edwin jagger best badger but i also have a Simpson chubby 2 in best badger that i never use even though it is far higher quality than the edwin one.
The smaller size of the edwin is better for me.

Also have two adjustable Murker razors, a progress and futur. Mostly use them on setting 3.5 or near there.

Used to use gillette multiblade razors as a teen and early 20`s and have nothing against them.
I just find them expensive mostly

Associate
I’ve just started in the world of DE shaving. To start I bought a Wilkinson Sword Classic Double Edge Premium razor. On Shaving Executive as a starter they recommend a Merkur or Muhle. Would I notice much difference compared to the Wilkinson? I thought the blade was the key thing here.

Soldato
I’ve just started in the world of DE shaving. To start I bought a Wilkinson Sword Classic Double Edge Premium razor. On Shaving Executive as a starter they recommend a Merkur or Muhle. Would I notice much difference compared to the Wilkinson? I thought the blade was the key thing here.
The razor is ok, I started with a Muhle R89 and fancied something different so bought one of these Wilkinson Sword razors and found I preferred my Muhle so gave it to my brother who uses it all the time and actually likes it.

Just found a site called Connaught Shaving on there they are £10.80. Is it a reputable site?
I've ordered from Connaught in the past and found them fine to purchase from

Soldato
I tried Harry's recently. I've got a beard, but I shave my neck. I have pretty sensitive skin, so I've struggled to find any razors that really suit me until recently. Unfortunately, it wasn't Harry's. I've been using some Gillette Fusion Proglide that I got free, then switched over to Harry's, and man those blades are nasty. The shave was horrible and I immediately cancelled the subscription. They did send some nice lotions which I'll use, but I've binned the razor.

I'm back now to the Gillettes, which are excellent. I hadn't realised what I was missing out on all these years. I have used safety razors a lot, but I still found them quite uncomfortable.

One other major change is that I found shaving oil again (horrifically long Amazon link). I used it years ago but it was a bit difficult to find. This has honestly made the world of difference, and it might be that I could go back to a safety razor.

Anyway, just delighted that my neck doesn't hurt this morning and is very cleanly shaven!

Soldato
That shaving oil is available in Wilkos and Tesco around here, I'm currently using some Art of Shaving stuff I picked up in Vegas, don't use it every shave though but the best stuff I've used is the Clarins stuff, has a small hole so you don't end up with half a pint of the shave oil in your hand

Soldato
I tried Harry's recently. I've got a beard, but I shave my neck. I have pretty sensitive skin, so I've struggled to find any razors that really suit me until recently. Unfortunately, it wasn't Harry's. I've been using some Gillette Fusion Proglide that I got free, then switched over to Harry's, and man those blades are nasty. The shave was horrible and I immediately cancelled the subscription. They did send some nice lotions which I'll use, but I've binned the razor.

I'm back now to the Gillettes, which are excellent. I hadn't realised what I was missing out on all these years. I have used safety razors a lot, but I still found them quite uncomfortable.

One other major change is that I found shaving oil again (horrifically long Amazon link). I used it years ago but it was a bit difficult to find. This has honestly made the world of difference, and it might be that I could go back to a safety razor.

Anyway, just delighted that my neck doesn't hurt this morning and is very cleanly shaven!
Harrys is without doubt the absolute worst shaving I have ever had from any kind of "wet" shave, the only thing worse was in my learnign phase for DE shaving and applying to much pressure. Harrys for the advertising they do and how long they have been going makes me wonder jsut who is suffering with them all the time?

Soldato
Harrys is without doubt the absolute worst shaving I have ever had from any kind of "wet" shave, the only thing worse was in my learnign phase for DE shaving and applying to much pressure. Harrys for the advertising they do and how long they have been going makes me wonder jsut who is suffering with them all the time?

I'm really glad it wasn't just me that felt like that! I thought I was buying the best razor every and thought maybe I was the problem, but you've reassured me that I'm not unique :) I have no idea who would continue to use that crap, although the non-razor products are great.

Soldato
I'm really glad it wasn't just me that felt like that! I thought I was buying the best razor every and thought maybe I was the problem, but you've reassured me that I'm not unique :) I have no idea who would continue to use that crap, although the non-razor products are great.
If you even look at how the blade connects to the handle, you see the hinge is at the bottoms of the blade head, meaning all the pressure goes onto the bottom blade only, making it do all the work lifting the blades above it away from the face, its a botched handle and cartridge design.

Soldato
Has anyone here had any experience with one of those at home IPL Hair Removal devices (Laser hair removal) you can buy online?
And if so which device did you use? Was it any good!

I hate having to shave under my chin/throat practically every day i hate the stubble feeling under there, and every time leaves a sore rash as Disposable razors these days tend to be hit and miss with QC.

I know this is a "Shaving" thread but really didn't think my question needed its own thread as its still hair related. :D

Associate
Has anyone here had any experience with one of those at home IPL Hair Removal devices (Laser hair removal) you can buy online?

I hate having to shave under my chin/throat practically every day i hate the stubble feeling under there, and every time leaves a sore rash as Disposable razors these days tend to be hit and miss with QC.

I know this is a "Shaving" thread but really didn't think my question needed its own thread as its still hair related. :D

No experience with laser hair removal tools - you'd probably be better speaking with a qualified beautician / dermatologist.

However, with sensitive neck shaving - a common issue for most men. How are you shaving? What are you shaving with? How are you prepping your face for the shave?

My usual ritual is a HOT shower or blasts to face with the shower on as hot as I can stand it to get the pours open and hairs softened properly - or if just needing a quick tidy up a flannel soaked in as hot a water as you can stand pressed on the face and neck to achieve the same outcome. Whilst your wetting your face, feel with your fingers how your stubble grows and in which direction to 'map out your face'. This is an important technique. On the neck you should NEVER shave against the grain only with (in the same direction of growth) or across the grain (sideways across the growth).

Then, a fresh - can't stress enough fresh, blade into either my DE Safety Razor (Edwin Jagger EJ89) or my usual go to is the cut throat (Wahl 5* Pro shavette style straight razor). Disposables are awful multiple blade POS most of your neck irritation will be coming from that - no doubt. Don't be scared by a cut throat, some of my nicest shaves are achieved with this and with zero irritation. It's all in the technique.

Lather up with a good quality shave cream - I can't recommend Rituals Samurai enough - it's pricey but worth it. Then enjoy your shave and finish with a warm rinse to clean the face and a splash of cold water to close the pours. Then apply a balm or aftershave cream and a spritz of my choice of perfume.

Soldato

I always got a rash from shaving my neck but since moving to DE shaving (10+ years ago) and using an alum block (rinse under cold water and rub on face after shaving) I never get a rash, the main issue is with these multi blade razors the 1st couple of blades cut and then the rest just cause irritation as they're rubbing directly on the skin with no cream\foam, shave oil helps massively in this instance as it stays on more after each stroke.

Soldato
What would be the best 'tool' for shaving the sides of my head and keeping the lines of my 'hawk straight and true? Also needs to be small and compact as doing the back is a right pain. Currently using a Remington Barba but I think it's on it's last legs.

Soldato
Well, the time has come to order a new razor. Unfortunately the chrome plating has started to peel on my very old 34C HD (on the underside, where the blade sits) ordered the same again it’s that good.

Associate
Looking for some, probably basic, advice please.

I'm looking to pick up a DE razor. Fed up of using cartridges, I've fairly sensitive skin and they cause some mild irritation.

Other than a DE razor, what else do I need to pick up? I was looking at a shaving stick, brush and probably an alum block for post shaving. I'll pick up a sample pack of blades to test.

This might sound stupid but is it recommended to get a stand for the razor/brush to stand and drain on or are they purely decorative?

Lastly is the traditional shaving company a good place to buy from?

Soldato
Looking for some, probably basic, advice please.

I'm looking to pick up a DE razor. Fed up of using cartridges, I've fairly sensitive skin and they cause some mild irritation.

Other than a DE razor, what else do I need to pick up? I was looking at a shaving stick, brush and probably an alum block for post shaving. I'll pick up a sample pack of blades to test.

This might sound stupid but is it recommended to get a stand for the razor/brush to stand and drain on or are they purely decorative?

Lastly is the traditional shaving company a good place to buy from?
A stand isn’t necessary but is nice to have. For me the sweet spot in blades are Astra platinum, feather are great but not great to begin with, personally I’d avoid derby blades like the plague.
Merkur 34c hd is my go to despite trying a few I always go back to that one.
Alum is nice to have but again for me not really essential, I do use it sometimes though.
Best soaps for me are TOBS, Trumpers and Proraso but most creams are ok, easier to lather imho also. You can buy a lathering bowl but I’ve been using a cheap steel camping cereal bowl for years….every penny is a prisoner lol.
Watch some vids on the best technique, it’s a bit different to cartridge.

Back
Top Bottom