Plug socket in water

Associate
Hi all

Last night there was a leak in my utility room from the dishwasher. My kitchen was done about a month ago so naturally I was straight onto the joiner. My biggest concern is that the plug socket for the washing machine and dishwasher are just sitting on the floor under the kitchen units and were in a puddle of water. My joiner is insisting this is "common" and that "all electricians do it". I am not convinced this is correct or even legal. Is there anyone here who can say for certain?

Thanks in advance

Soldato
Fairly sure they should be fixed to something solid to be considered correct. Wires should also be clipped.

If they are just floating, there is nothing stopping the live wires being pulled out the terminals.

Soldato
When I had my last kitchen done the plug sockets were attached to the wall behind the units (surface mounted) and with cables clipped at the same height (I'd say a few inches above the floor). A hole or service door was put in the back of the unit so I could access them if needed.

Wouldn't accept plugs being left on the floor for the exact situation you've had.

Associate
I'd be pretty worried about what other things the electrician has done.
Two places where you could expect a leak from and the sockets just loose on the floor.. Madness :confused::confused:

Soldato
large-655652-8881d43d-7922-4a1e-ab0a-565e3a95b323.jpeg

That is how it should be done. From my understanding that double plug face is just left loose on the floor under the unit.

Soldato
I'm guessing they're plugged into a 4 gang socket extension under the units. I've got one under mine as I wanted to add lights to the skirting and didn't fancy ripping the whole lot out to rewire behind the units. It's not near any source of water, so can't see the harm. But the main wiring is like above (although, in a dry cupboard, not directly under the sink.

Soldato
Thanks all. Didn't think it was ok in the slightest. Will kick up a huge fuss.
There was a train of thought a while back that putting plugs on fly leads/extensions meant you can get to them by popping the plinth off. So it isn't total garbage what he's saying.

Soldato
I'm guessing they're plugged into a 4 gang socket extension under the units. I've got one under mine as I wanted to add lights to the skirting and didn't fancy ripping the whole lot out to rewire behind the units. It's not near any source of water, so can't see the harm. But the main wiring is like above (although, in a dry cupboard, not directly under the sink.

Because if you get a water leak or a water flood you will have live electrics sitting in water. Yes leaks happen all the time. Shoddy practice.

Soldato

That is how it should be done. From my understanding that double plug face is just left loose on the floor under the unit.

Technically no that isn’t how it is supposed to be done.
Electrical accessories should not be fixed to kitchen units.
It should be on the wall, behind the unit, with a hole cut for access.
Also your plastic box has a hole in it and the twin & earth cable that supplies it has no mechanical protection.
Technically the outer sheath can be considered but it’s still ‘rough’
Yes I know most kitchens are like this but it’s incorrect.

Soldato

Ours is like this too, in fact the socket is closer to the waste pipe. All installed by the electrician when the houses were built so everything signed off.

Back
Top Bottom