Cheap paint for a rented flat?

Soldato
Hey all,

I'm wanting to give my flat which I rent a lick of paint as I plan to be there for the foreseeable future and and i'm of the magnolia hell on every wall, it also probably hasn't been decorated in 10 years.

I know most people say that you should get a quality paint as the finish and coverage is better, but obviously this isn't my property.

If I grabbed the cheapest matt brilliant white that screwfix do, will I regret it during the job and will the finish be horrendous?

Cheers

Don
Hey all,

I'm wanting to give my flat which I rent a lick of paint as I plan to be there for the foreseeable future and and i'm of the magnolia hell on every wall, it also probably hasn't been decorated in 10 years.

I know most people say that you should get a quality paint as the finish and coverage is better, but obviously this isn't my property.

If I grabbed the cheapest matt brilliant white that screwfix do, will I regret it during the job and will the finish be horrendous?

Cheers

If you buy the cheapest brilliant white matt, it will look good for about 2 weeks then be covered in dark smudges. When you try to wash off the smudges, the paint will just come off of the wall on your wash cloth.

Caporegime
I doubt you even notice any difference apart from the amount of coats you need to apply

some of the expensive brands are actually crap anyway......
like Dulux Magic White if they still make it....

dried like horrible the worst finish I've ever seen..... it's like a powder finish on my walls when it dried..... I can literally rub the wall and paint dust stuff falls off...

the undercoat I did with wilkos own brand looked way better

Associate
Use a 'trade paint' like Leyland as they actually put more pigment in trade paints, so it takes less coats. I have a friend who has a paint recycling company (they make industrial paint by mixing off-batches of other companies paint) and they have to analyse it in their lab before blending with other paints. Trade paints always have a higher pigment content (its just that they come in less colours). Dulux actually have some of the lowest pigment content (meaning you have to use more to get even coverage).

Soldato
Valspar premium is really nice to use. The normal valspar is absolutely crap, been there got the t shirt. Not sure how it fares as value for money though.

Every dulux paint I’ve tried I’ve been disappointed.
Farrow and ball estate emulsion is nice and gives the best Matt finish of the paints I’ve tried but a) it’s really bloody expensive b) it’s the complete opposite of durable. So I can’t really recommend it, unless money is no object and you’re gonna paint a wall that you can guarantee no one will touch.

So yeah I’d recommend valspar premium as a nice middle ground.

Soldato
Just plain white everywhere will be horrific! But as above trade paint like the Leyland stuff is great, use it for base coats and the like and only needs two coats on the darkest of walls. Used it in the garage on bare breeze blocks and only needed 2 coats too.

Soldato
Cheap white paint is like painting wall with milk. It's a false economy.

I'll second Wilko's own brand stuff. For cheap paint, it's not bad.
I agree with this, I decided to use some Dulux white I have for ceilings to paint the spare room. It must've taken 5 or 6 coats to get decent coverage and hide the paint underneath, never again!

In my defence I was just using it because it was there but in the future I'll buy more suitable paint.

Soldato
For cheap paints by far the best I've used is Leyland trade. Can buy it in huge tubs, has great opacity and goes on nicely. I keep a tub of it in the garage to use as a base coat if I'm covering a darker colour.

Back
Top Bottom