*** Show us your Dogs ***

Caporegime
I am reading the latest posts with astonishment. Dogs with feather duvets, dogs that won't stay out in the garden in a mild English winter long enough to poo because they're cold, dogs in the bedroom causing lost sleep! Madness, sheer madness :) The 2 pups we kept from the last litter went outside at 16 weeks and have remained there, they are now 7 months, don't have a duvet, keep quiet all night unless something's about, and I and they get a restful nights sleep :)

Yep, don't get me wrong, I love my dog to bits, but I nipped some of that stuff in the bud early on. She's a cockapoo and they are notoriously vocal and twisty!

We've got a friend with one and it's completely taking over their lives to the point where it's even interfering with bedroom antics. They can't even close the door because it will just continuously howl!

Last edited:
Commissario
I am reading the latest posts with astonishment. Dogs with feather duvets, dogs that won't stay out in the garden in a mild English winter long enough to poo because they're cold, dogs in the bedroom causing lost sleep! Madness, sheer madness :) The 2 pups we kept from the last litter went outside at 16 weeks and have remained there, they are now 7 months, don't have a duvet, keep quiet all night unless something's about, and I and they get a restful nights sleep :)
How long have you had dogs?
How long have I had a dog?

Be respectful to semi-new owners please.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Mine is 18 months and has started occasionally getting us up in the night for a poo a few hours after we've gone to bed.

She hasn't done that for about a year.

I think it might be the seasons, as it's really hard to get her to do a poo before I go up to bed at the moment.

She is a Hungarian Vizsla and has a thin coat, so doesn't like going out in the garden at night when it's cold and she's all cosy. She will often run out for wee, but won't stay out there to do a poo.
I feel we've got (reasonably) lucky with our Vizsla. Now coming up to 7 months old but he doesn't care about the weather unless it's absolutely heaving down. Out in the mist, drizzle, fog, frost, ice, whatever. Though he did have his first accident indoors last night since he was about two months old bless him. He disappeared downstairs overnight (about 4-5am I'm informed by the wife) and then eventually came back upstairs to sleep, found a little puddle down there the poor boy. He was clearly remorseful about it because he was very quiet this morning and didn't want to eat until we made a big fuss of him the silly sod! :cry:

Soldato

Ha, I take your point but the pup in question was tiny and the shivered when outside in the summer:cry:. I think she weighed something like 2kg at the time, once she's chewed it, in the bin it went and now both dogs sleep with blankets, happily run upstairs into their crates in the spare bedroom and we hear nothing else from them until I get up.

From our experience no right or wrong answers, experiment see what works for you and the dog(s). Pretty much my take on life in general to be honest.

Soldato
We've been so lucky with Barkley, house training was a doddle, not a single accident since we made the switch from pads and has been happy to spend the night in his crate the whole time.

The only challenge we have coming up is we'd like to get rid of the crate so he'll have to wander the bottom floor on his own... gut tells me he'll be fine though, the issue is more however long it takes me to stop waking up to every noise when we finally do it.

Soldato
In the process of applying to adopt a grey hound and have a virtual tour of our house tomorrow. Any greyhound owners on here? Aware of the usual stuff like muzzles and the fact they have been trained to chase small animals and the sleep startle but if anyone else has one I would be open to advice, cheers

Soldato
The in-laws have a working bred sprocker spaniel that just wants to be outside at all times, rain, cold snow etc. Just likes standing outside in it all, she can be a pain to try and get back in some times, not really fun trying to coax her back in when it's 0c.

Soldato
The in-laws have a working bred sprocker spaniel that just wants to be outside at all times, rain, cold snow etc. Just likes standing outside in it all, she can be a pain to try and get back in some times, not really fun trying to coax her back in when it's 0c.

Funny old thing, when we were looking for a dog, the in-laws (3 breeders) all said to stay clear of working bred dogs due to their relentless energy and desire to be outside, unless that's what you are after!

We got a show cocker and he's true to form, 2 x 30 mins walk a day and he's happy and will dodge the rain if he can! Some neighbours bought a working cocker and wow.. that thing is on acid most of the time.. relentless..

Associate
We've got two cockapoos and they're like chalk and cheese in terms of personality so you don't know what you're going to get until they grow up, and the way they're brought up matters a lot too. One barks a lot (daughter's dog) but mine is quiet unless she needs to let us know something is amiss, then she makes woo-woo noises that are so funny it leaves us in stitches. Mine doesn't need attention nearly so much and will take herself off and sleep anywhere, the other is a bit clingy and always needs company or she gets stressed. Mine will sleep through a firework display the other is terrified of loud noises and hides under the coffee table shivering. Mine has to jump into any water she can find out on a walk and swims well, the other doesn't and can't swim to save her life. Both are lovable in their own way but you wouldn't believe they were the same breed.

Soldato
Funny old thing, when we were looking for a dog, the in-laws (3 breeders) all said to stay clear of working bred dogs due to their relentless energy and desire to be outside, unless that's what you are after!

We got a show cocker and he's true to form, 2 x 30 mins walk a day and he's happy and will dodge the rain if he can! Some neighbours bought a working cocker and wow.. that thing is on acid most of the time.. relentless..
When looking for a dog originally they wanted something that doesn't malt and reasonably manageable excitement wise. Then they ended up with a with dog that was neither lol

Don
Our border collie doesn't like the rain too much.

Our Border doesn't give a stuff about rain, snow, sleet, hail, wind, or fog. She hates the sun though. When it's a hot day she just wants to run to the shade. You throw her ball for her and she takes it to the nearest bush and lies down.

Yep, don't get me wrong, I love my dog to bits, but I nipped some of that stuff in the bud early on. She's a cockapoo and they are notoriously vocal and twisty!

We've got a friend with one and it's completely taking over their lives to the point where it's even interfering with bedroom antics. They can't even close the door because it will just continuously howl!
I'm so glad that I'm not the only one struggling!! :cry::cry::cry:

The howling is so funny but alarming for me because Lilith was fascinated by the men grunting, from me watching the tennis the other day.

Every time they grunted, she stopped chewing her yakker chew and stared at the TV!! :rolleyes:

Things could get awkward when my "friend" comes round on the 9th February :cry:

Man of Honour
In the process of applying to adopt a grey hound and have a virtual tour of our house tomorrow. Any greyhound owners on here? Aware of the usual stuff like muzzles and the fact they have been trained to chase small animals and the sleep startle but if anyone else has one I would be open to advice, cheers
Yeah I’ve had a rescue greyhound. Fantastic dogs, bigger than you think. Will run after rabbits and there’s nothing you can do to stop them.

How big are your fences? They can clear standard height if they really want to.

Soldato
Yeah I’ve had a rescue greyhound. Fantastic dogs, bigger than you think. Will run after rabbits and there’s nothing you can do to stop them.

How big are your fences? They can clear standard height if they really want to.

Thanks, they asked to show them the garden and fences on the virtual tour of the house, they are mostly 6ft but on one side they 5.5 ft with some of that being made up by next doors trellis which is falling apart so I'm a bit worried about that but they seemed happy with it. I am growing an army of connifers all the way around but they are exactly the same height at the moment as the fence and trellis but will accelerate when it warm up

We have loads of fields etc around here but never seen any rabbits

Did you use any particular lead so he didn't rip your arm off if he tried to bolt?

Going to meet him today at 3 so really excited

Man of Honour
Did you use any particular lead so he didn't rip your arm off if he tried to bolt?
I had him in 2006 until my now ex wife took him in 2008 or so. I can't remember what lead I used if I'm honest. They are very friendly, affectionate dogs but they are trained to chase! Also they will only be kennel trained and not house trained so be prepared for accidents.

Soldato
I had him in 2006 until my now ex wife took him in 2008 or so. I can't remember what lead I used if I'm honest. They are very friendly, affectionate dogs but they are trained to chase! Also they will only be kennel trained and not house trained so be prepared for accidents.

Thanks again, he's 5 and believe he has lived in a house but don't know for how long so hopefully won't be too bad but I'm prepared for it. Not definitely got him yet I'm not sure if meeting him means it's a done deal but we'll find out today I think

Well Maddie, who will be 13 in March still loves going outside but doesn't really want to walk much as she is arthritic. So I bought her a special back pack (am prepared for ridicule and judgement :p) to pop her in so I can still at least get to go on proper walks.

She seems to love it and is all cosy and snug although I don't think Lilith will be too impressed by it but anyway!!

rPzo4GM.jpg.png

Soldato
Thanks again, he's 5 and believe he has lived in a house but don't know for how long so hopefully won't be too bad but I'm prepared for it. Not definitely got him yet I'm not sure if meeting him means it's a done deal but we'll find out today I think

I would hope they’ve asked you to come in because you’ve passed all their checks, and now it’s just to see if you get on. Otherwise that’s just cruel.

I used to live near a lady who rescued greyhounds, and every one I met was extremely timid around other dogs.

Back
Top Bottom