• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3050 - starting at $249 (msrp)

Soldato
Believe me it wont last long, my two have already gone from Gaming laptops with GTX 960's and 1050ti when they were 4/5yrs, to 2060/2060 Super to 3060ti and one is 9 and one is 12.;) My youngest has the 2060 Super from my 12 year old and already mentioned a few times he wants a 3xxx series.
As it happens mine are 9 and 12 too. Even told them I was planning to sell my GTX 970 and RTX 2060 rather than pass on to them. Both just went 'yeah, fine.'

I did tell them the graphics card market was bonkers and we could look at upgrades when things are more sensible.

Long may this continue.:cool:

Associate
Mines all installed and im impressed, downloaded the Thundermaster software and played around with the RGB and set it to change with the cards temps, nice little feature.

I am really happy to hear! It's so nice to know some got a card, at a good price, and actually used it :)

If / when I source one, the lower power needs, heat generated, tempts me to go for a smaller form factor build.

Soldato
Does anyone know if PCIe 4.0 x8 is compatible with a PCIe 3.0 x16 riser cable?

Will a GEN3 riser run in GEN4 x8 without errors?
It will run at gen 3 speeds, that will probably be fine though.

it’s only an issue on the 6500xt as that has a x4 interface instead of x8 (half the bandwidth).

Associate
Does anyone know if PCIe 4.0 x8 is compatible with a PCIe 3.0 x16 riser cable?

Will a GEN3 riser run in GEN4 x8 without errors?
I think you may have to set something in the bios. I recall seeing in a review for a case that came with a PCIe 3.0 riser, the reviewer saying they updated the bios and the PCIe settings in bios reset back to 4.0 (for mb PCIe slot), therefore the GPU was not recognised. He had to directly plugin the GPU, boot into the bios, set the setting back to 3.0, then put the riser back in.

Associate
Gamers, because the equivalent performing 1660 super that is good at mining is still £400.

Therefore I guess many think even at £300 or so it's better than that.

that’s how I read it too. Also, two years back we had the 1660, 1650, 1660ti. A lot more options on the budget end.

Soldato
that’s how I read it too. Also, two years back we had the 1660, 1650, 1660ti. A lot more options on the budget end.
TBH - there should have been an RTX 2050. Lacking RTX and DLSS, it's like those cards were a generation behind.

My RTX 3050 is in and working, replacing the RTX 2060 I'd overspent on (by my standards). Only got as far as coming on the forum so far though. May need to fire up a game or two to check everything is in order.

Soldato
Not great sadly... well, not for my wallet at least, my son on the other hand is about to get a whole PC upgrade because the card doesn't work with his 10 year old motherboard :p

Have you tried updating the motherboard BIOS to the latest available ? Also check if CSM or UEFI is set in the BIOS too as most of these new cards require a UEFI capable motherboard. That is if you can get the machine to even POST and allows you to get in the BIOS. I would update the motherboard BIOS on the old card that worked first then stick the new one in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom