The TKC how-to and info and stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Hello hello OcUK forum member, or random associate of one, or random remains of one left from hiding in the dungens too long, or indeed someone who's been dragged here by a friend or persuaded by the wonderful linky in my siggy.

What is TKC?
It's a keycounting software thingy! Basically it counts all your key presses and mouse clicks and wheel scrolls and submits them to a central server, where you're ranked against other people, and can join teams - much like Seti, BOINC et al.

Yes, it is completeley pointless. But it won't nick electricity, you don't need to leave your computers on, and the only risk is that you'll get RSI from frantic keypressing as you desperately try to zoom up the ranks.

Where can I get it?
You should probably get it from their website but I've been nice and put it on my server, along with the info in this thread. Cute, eh? Get it here.

I can't sign up; how do I use it; say wah?
You can run KeyCount.exe without worrying about signing up on the website. Just put in any user/pass and let it run - don't forget to add it to startup! However, for your statistics to be submitted you must sign up and join the team! Now, although you can change the username and password settings in the TKC software at any time without it affecting the keycount total it's holding, I would stay on the safe side and sign up with the same username/password you put into the software when you started using it. If the username is taken, just pick a new one to sign up to and change the username in the TKC software (it's just a box you type in). From my testing it has no effect - it's not that advanced (not yet, anyway).

To join OcUK, firstly sign up on the website: http://keycount.piqsoftware.com/myaccount/register.php

Then when you've signed up, join OcUK by using this link (you must be logged into the site first):

http://keycount.piqsoftware.com/teams/join.php?team=OcUK

That's all there is to it!

At the moment OcUK are in 108th position on page 6 of the rankings, let's get into the top 100!

Are there any rules for this?
YES! Emoticons of all forms are absolutely forbidden! From now on, if you wish to do a smiley face, instead of ": )" you must type "cute happy smilely face". Follow similar rules for the other smileys. This will increase keycount a lot!

Also, TLAs and so on are forbidden! Instead of "roflmao" you must type at the very least "rofl", but preferably "rotating around in a horizontal position on the part of the room which due to the rotation of the Earth is known as the ground or, in common parlance, the floor; while all the time laughing my glutius maximus to many many pieces." With these tactics chaps, we'll be ahead of Seti.Germany (currently in 8th place) in no time whatsoever! Tally-ho you slackers! :D

Anything else I should know?
A slightly tricky bit of their rules - if you've more than 1 PC, and they're in use at the same time, set up different accounts, because their anti-cheating (read: forum members looking round for people who seem to be doing far too many kliks!) systems will kick in and do nasty stuff:eek:

Also, their server is at the moment making BOINC look perfect, so don't worry, just save up for a huge dump when they come back to life. No frustration, and you can suddenly surprise your enemies :D

Are there any funky stats and stuff and nice links for me to look at cool thanks?

Not as many as Seti/BOINC sadly, and no TeamOcUK stats because TKC don't create anything useful like that for the wonderful Berserker to analyse, but we do have some links:

OcUK team stats: http://keycount.piqsoftware.com/teams/details.php?team=OcUK

Teams listing: http://keycount.piqsoftware.com/teams/list.php?sort=&r=&page=5

Thankyou for reading, and thankyou in advance for your kliks! (That's my funky trademarked world-famous neo-modernist word for "keyboard clicks" :p)

TheBeansprout

Last edited:

MGP

MGP

Soldato
An excellent piece of work. Happy Smiley (taking your advice for excessive creation of far too many keypresses or kliks [TM TheBeansprout])!

Just one little observation or clarification:

You indicate you can just start the Keycount software using the download and entering any old user name and password. However, for the scores to be recognised and submitted to the website users must sign up to it. They will need to use the same username and password on the website previously entered into the client software.

If the username desired is unavailable on the website so another is chosen is there any easy way of changing the setting in the client software running on your computer?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by MGP
An excellent piece of work. Happy Smiley (taking your advice for excessive creation of far too many keypresses or kliks [TM TheBeansprout])!

Just one little observation or clarification:

You indicate you can just start the Keycount software using the download and entering any old user name and password. However, for the scores to be recognised and submitted to the website users must sign up to it. They will need to use the same username and password on the website previously entered into the client softwarey.

If the username desired is unavailable on the website so another is chosen is there any easy way of changing the setting in the client software running on your computer?

Many thanks - royalties for usage of "kliks" are 10 keystrokes everytime you use it, thanks!

I'm not sure if you can change the user/pass in the client software and still keep the clicking total so far. I'm off to test.

Edit: Yes, it appears that changing the username/pass in the client has absolutely no effect on the keycount total. So you can put in any old values, then later sign up, then change the values in the TKC software, and hit submit and it'll work. But I'd stay on the safe side I think. I'll updatey the posty.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
92nd now :huge big smiley grin:

Gilly, and others who find the team stats aren't updating when they submit - it's most likely because you're not running v1.61 - apparently the team stats will lag behind if you don't use 1.61.

I'lll post on their forums in a few days if the stats haven't correctly updated :smiley happy face:

Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by Gilly
My stats are updating fine :confused:

They're not updating on the team listing though.

Well, my keystrokes will be generating "kliks" for this mighty fine team from now on as my account has been generated and the program is sitting in my program tray as of this very moment :big happy face:

Wel-kam to the nuthouse :huge happy grin:

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Originally posted by Mad old tory
You deliberately typed out that quote to get more keystrokes didnt you? :D sly hehe.

er you got that slightly wrong ":D" should be typed as ":big grin smiley: so as to really maximise your kliks [TM The Beansprout]

OK got sore fingers now so butting out for a bit :bye bye smiley:

Soldato
Originally posted by MGP
er you got that slightly wrong ":D" should be typed as ":big grin smiley: so as to really maximise your kliks [TM The Beansprout]

OK got sore fingers now so butting out for a bit :bye bye smiley:

Duly noted :ordinary bog standard yellow smiley:.

Sent off my first lot of kliks [TM The BeanSprout] and am finding this throughly addictive :slightly worried smiley: : laughing head off smiley :

Associate
ive just signed up! hopefully i should be able to help u guys out! :D does it save all your information when u shutdown ** pc ? or should i sned all my data before i shutdown ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom