• 250ml

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • 330ml

Votes: 101 80.2%
  • Pancake

Votes: 17 13.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I only drink beer from cans, soft drinks are really bad for you.

I actually prefer smaller beer cans, it stays colder and doesn't go flat (you know what I mean) like those little french stubbies you can get through 20 of those.

Commissario
Honestly why are 330ml cans the standard and who decided this would be the case? I have just realised that I always buy Applemetiser in 250ml cans which are a WAY better size, that quantity of drink is just the right amount: 330s are too much, I always end up drinking about 2/3 of it anyway and throwing the rest away - 250 is the optimum, gold-graded, zenith-level drinks-quantity plateau. Switching permanently to 250s would mean less wastage of both drink and alumumum and fewer fat people in this country. What does anyone else think?
Probably has it's roots in some other standard measure, my guess is probably an beer measurement somewhere that was adopted because the canning process was developed for that and it was easier/cheaper to use the same machinery for other drinks, or the standard size of a soft drink sold in a glass in the US or something similar.

Soldato
Well curse you OP: I had to google the answer and came up with this link: https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-2807,00.html

DRINKS cans are now made in dozens of sizes worldwide, depending on local needs, from 150ml up to 750ml. Before the second world war, beer in the US was filled in steel cans which used what had been a traditional size for canning peas. This held 12 fluid ounces of drink and the volume and diameter of the can was retained when the modern style of so-called "two-piece" (with a lid and a body) drinks can was introduced in the late fifties. A volume of 12oz is 355ml, and this is still the standard in the US: in Europe it was converted to the round figure of about one-third of a litre, or 330ml. Demand in Europe for bigger volumes in beer cans lead to the third larger size of 440ml and later the 500ml. Smaller sizes such as 150ml, 200 and 250ml are employed for children's drinks and mixers where bigger volumes are not required. Regional traditions influence can sizes. In Venezuela, 8oz and 10oz beer and soft-drinks cans prevailed until recently because they fitted in the local cooled vending machines.

Soldato
Probably has it's roots in some other standard measure, my guess is probably an beer measurement somewhere that was adopted because the canning process was developed for that and it was easier/cheaper to use the same machinery for other drinks, or the standard size of a soft drink sold in a glass in the US or something similar.
My wife used to cut her chicken in half before putting it in the oven; I asked why. She said she didn't know, but her mother used to do the same. We asked her mum the next time we saw her, and she said she didn't know - and we should ask grandma. Fast forward a few months and we were at grandmas house, and she laughed out loud, and said it was because her oven wasn't very big.

Soldato

In the US the beer and soft drinks are something like 355ml not 330ml.

Sorry, didn't realise this was already mentioned above.

Commissario
My wife used to cut her chicken in half before putting it in the oven; I asked why. She said she didn't know, but her mother used to do the same. We asked her mum the next time we saw her, and she said she didn't know - and we should ask grandma. Fast forward a few months and we were at grandmas house, and she laughed out loud, and said it was because her oven wasn't very big.
That reminds me of a story, I don't know how true about an efficiency study for artillery. The efficiency guy turns up, observes them in action where they load the gun, then wait until someone moved to a specific point before firing and do this every time wasting several seconds on every repetition, and when he queried the reason for that move and delay no one there knew why, just that they'd been trained to do it that way (as had the trainer), eventually they talk to a much older guy who'd been in the regiment for decades since before mechanisation who tells them "when we had horse drawn artillery, you had to hold the reigns of the horses to reduce the chance of them running off when you fired".

Back
Top Bottom