Team OcUK BOINC Crunchathon weekend *** DISCUSSION ***

Man of Honour
OK, as suggested in another thread, I think this will be a good idea to get some action in here, so here goes. This thread is for discussion only - any entries in this thread will be ignored. If you wish to enter this competition, a separate thread is [thread=17403632]here[/thread].

The Rules
  • The 'crunchathon' will take place from teamocuk.com stats collection time on April 28th, to stats collection time on May 3rd.
  • Should no stats be available on the stated dates, the deadlines will be moved backwards, and forwards, respectively, until suitable stats are available.
  • The following projects are included: SETI@home, climateprediction.net, Einstein@home, and Predictor@home. LHC@home will be added if workunit supply issues have been resolved.
  • A winner will be selected from each project, and an overall winner will be selected.
  • If stats have to be collected on different days, the overall results will be pro-rated to calculate the winner. This will be done after the end of the competition.
  • Should a project be 'down' for more than 50% of the weekend, or should there be significant difficulties on obtaining work or returning results, that project will be withdrawn.
  • Should there be a tie, joint winners will be declared.
  • Participants must request entry by posting in the ENTRIES thread, including the project-assigned ID numbers of the host(s) they wish to enter.
  • Each participant may enter up to two (2) hosts in each of up to three (3) projects.
  • Once entered, each participant may amend their entry up to the entry deadline, by editing their original entry post to add or remove hosts. Should any confusion arise, the organiser reserves his right to use best judgement.
  • The entry deadline is 11.59PM on Tuesday, 26th April.
  • This competition is subject to implementation of appropriate stats on teamocuk.com. Should implementation not be possible within the timescale, the competition may be postponed or cancelled as necessary. It is my intent that this will not happen.
  • All participants must be members of the OcUK team. Participants who choose not to list their hosts in the project stats may need to verify their identity.
  • In the interests of fair play, artificially raising a host's credit, by whatever means, is forbidden. This includes excessive withholding of results before the competition, and merging hosts during it.
  • Organiser's decision is final and binding.

Soldato
Participants must request entry by posting in the ENTRIES thread, including the project-assigned ID numbers of the host(s) they wish to enter.

I would guess that your Boinc username(s) along with host IDs and which projects they are going to be doing would be a good start, once someone starts i'm sure everyone else will follow

incidentally i'm definately up for this, probably just 2 machines and Einstein since i've done some work on there before - it should be good fun :)

Associate
rich99million said:
incidentally i'm definately up for this, probably just 2 machines and Einstein since i've done some work on there before - it should be good fun :)

Yup will be good fun beating you richie lol ....j/k but count me in for 2 in Einstein..and I'll look at moving some back to other projects or into something new as well...I've just got work out which hosts are favorites then i'll put details in the entry thread
:)

Man of Honour
OP
As for the entry format, something like this will do:

Einstein: 12345, 67890
SETI@home: 19283, 56473

BOINC username is optional but recommended as it will help pick up any mistakes.

Soldato
rich99million, RogueTLDW: An einstein fight eh? I'll see you two there :) I might have to do some strategic rearranging of the cpus in some of my boxen though... :)

Associate
as i see on the many of replies, in the next times what will you think when you will take also outstanding Members from other Teams here to the Fun...

only my two Cents, as the Overclockers Forum is something like an an international Forum for all BOINC Users i think...

Greetings from Germany

and yes the new pope was not my Idea..

Sir Ulli

Associate
Jagen said:
rich99million, RogueTLDW: An einstein fight eh? I'll see you two there :) I might have to do some strategic rearranging of the cpus in some of my boxen though... :)

Jagen - looks like we will all be doing some re-arranging ...be careful with those CPU's ...wouldnt want an accident to keep you away :)

richie - bring it on girlies ? ... you better make those two best machines work hard now !

knowing my luck i'll use 2 work PC's and there be an outage while the comp is on lol

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I'm sorely tempted to suspend Folding to have a go at this.

I have two machines (crappy old laptop included,) so I might not do too badly.

Only thing is, I'd have to move them back onto SETI about now to have any chance of credits flowing in by the time the crunchathon starts.

Plus points are that It would probably get me my 50k SETI tiffy and should sneak me back into the TeamOcUK top 100 (at least for a little while.)

Minus points are that I like Folding (I also like SETI though) and I am close to getting into the TeamOcUK top 50.

Why are there so many difficult choices in life?

Can anyone give me some impartial :p advice?

Stan :)

Man of Honour
OP
Sir Ulli said:
as i see on the many of replies, in the next times what will you think when you will take also outstanding Members from other Teams here to the Fun...
We'll see how this one goes. It's easier to sort out any problems if there is only one team involved.

Soldato
Bigstan said:
Can anyone give me some impartial :p advice?

1) Buy another cruncher.

2) Stick BOINC on new cruncher.

3) Transfer Folding onto Laptop.

4) Bob's your uncle - you have two machines churning out SETI WUs without sacrificing Folding.

The impartial part? Not saying whether you go AMD or Intel :D

Hmm, a crunchathon... interesting. Must see whether or not I'm away that weekend - I have a feeling I am, meaning I won't have full control of the two crunchers at home, meaning that one could be not on for a large proportion of the weekend, resulting in possibly unrecoverable lost ground :(

EDIT: Yes, I'm away that weekend and won't be coming back until the 2nd, so no chance :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Bigstan said:
Only thing is, I'd have to move them back onto SETI about now to have any chance of credits flowing in by the time the crunchathon starts.
Damn i hadn't thought of that - totally forgot about BOINC's silly validation process, hmmm that makes it a whole different prospect :(

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
TheTross said:
1) Buy another cruncher.

2) Stick BOINC on new cruncher.

3) Transfer Folding onto Laptop.

4) Bob's your uncle - you have two machines churning out SETI WUs without sacrificing Folding.

The impartial part? Not saying whether you go AMD or Intel :D

Hmm, a crunchathon... interesting. Must see whether or not I'm away that weekend - I have a feeling I am, meaning I won't have full control of the two crunchers at home, meaning that one could be not on for a large proportion of the weekend, resulting in possibly unrecoverable lost ground :(

EDIT: Yes, I'm away that weekend and won't be coming back until the 2nd, so no chance :(

Only problem is, i have no funds to purchase another cruncher :( .

I have enough bits to build one; unfortunately half the bits are here and the other half are in Shetland and I can't get them all together 'til the end of May at the earliest.

I have already decided to enter so I will be posting my entry details in the entry thread soon (sorry Folding buddies but I will be back after the crunchathon.)

P.S. When I do, eventually get the other cruncher built, I will probably be running Folding on the two lesser crunchers (lappy and new machine) and Folding on my main PC.

Soldato
Bigstan said:
I have already decided to enter so I will be posting my entry details in the entry thread soon (sorry Folding buddies but I will be back after the crunchathon.)
well i'm in there too so i'll forgive you... just this once :p

i've started my two best machines on it already, will iron out any problems this week :)

folding will benefit in the long run anyway as to make up for the loss of the two machines i will be getting another folder up and running, just need to get the bits all inside the same case :p

Man of Honour
OP
Added an extra rule, mainly to avoid any arguments later:

In the interests of fair play, artificially raising a host's credit, by whatever means, is forbidden. This includes excessive withholding of results before the competition, and merging hosts during it.

Soldato
I will join in the fun , if I am reading things right I can enter a total of six machines 2 for each of the three projects ?. In which case I will make entries for Seti, Einstein and Predictor , now I just need to decide which to use for which projects. Or am I reading it incorrectly and its a maximium of two hosts in total ?

I will chose the machines tomorrow and set them to only run one project for the duration.

With reguard to your latest rule , should we all have a gentlemans agreement to manually update the entered hosts (ie send any completed results) a set number of hours before the kick off ?

Should we have different classes for single and multi processor machines ?
(I would class a hyperthreader as a single processor).

Shady

Man of Honour
OP
You read it right - six machines.

I'm not too worried about flushing caches beforehand, as it'll tend to even itself out anyway (especially as you don't know the exact start or end times - although educated guesses can be used).

The main exception to that is CPDN, where insane stashing is possible.

I'm also not going to worry about multiprocessors this time, although if someone comes up with a 4-way Opteron or something, then I may have to rethink that. :)

Man of Honour
Berserker said:
I'm also not going to worry about multiprocessors this time, although if someone comes up with a 4-way Opteron or something, then I may have to rethink that. :)

Damn! ;)

Hmm.. but I could even it out by entering two machines in 3 projects right?

i.e.

Project1 Machine1, Machine2
Project2 Machine1, Machine2
Project3 Machine1, Machine2

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom