Team OcUK BOINC Crunchathon weekend *** DISCUSSION ***

Soldato
Berserker said:
I'm also not going to worry about multiprocessors this time, although if someone comes up with a 4-way Opteron or something, then I may have to rethink that. :)
Its not quite a 4 way opteron, but both machines i'm putting up are dual HT xeon boxes, so i'll be dumping 8 einstein WUs every 11 or so hours, they still going to be legit for this comp?

Man of Honour
OP
OK, it looks like people are trying to find me out on the multiprocessors, so I'll have to separate them. I'll amend the rules later today when I've worked out the best way of handling things. ;)

Associate
Berserker said:
OK, it looks like people are trying to find me out on the multiprocessors, so I'll have to separate them. I'll amend the rules later today when I've worked out the best way of handling things. ;)

Maybe some sort of averaging out based on the boinc reported ops/sec, or a maximum that counts as one machine ?

Caporegime
As a point to note, it would seem (from looking at BOINCStats and TeamOcUK, and the CPDN site itself) that the CPDN stats are screwed.

Caporegime
Berserker said:
Mine, or theirs? :confused:

The issue would appear to be at the CPDN end.

The CPDN site itself seems to have stopped showing trickles from sometime on Monday morning, as well as not showing an increased total credit.
Both BOINCstats and yourself show that there's been no new credit since then (indeed, yours says there's been no update to the stats since the 18th).

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
rich99million said:
Damn i hadn't thought of that - totally forgot about BOINC's silly validation process, hmmm that makes it a whole different prospect :(

Validation dosen't seem to be a problem just now. I only re-started BOINC at about 01.00 this morning and I have already gained 206 cobblestones on my previous total (9 out of 14 results validated so far).

Assuming the validators don't break, everything should be hunky dory by the time the comp starts :cool:

Stan :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
not 100% sure its possible to tell, but the 4.2x clients benchmark much lower than the earlier ones - by approx 20% or so - 4.25 should be minimum - though I guess self compiled clients are ok if thats possible to tell as well.

Man of Honour
OP
OK - How's this for dealing with multiprocessors...

Hosts with two or more processors are permitted, but will have a handicap applied to their outputs. This will be applied by multiplying the reported credit by a handicap factor once for each reported CPU. The handicap will be: 0.89 for Xeon systems showing more than 2 CPUs with speed of 2.0GHz or more, 1.00 for Pentium 4 systems showing up to 2 CPUs, 0.71 for Opteron-based systems, and 0.85 in all other cases.

Just to show how this works, let's take a Dual Opteron, Dual Athlon MP, and Dual Xeon HT, all with 1,000 credit:

Opteron: 1000 * 0.71 * 0.71 = 504.1
Xeon: 1000 * 0.89 * 0.89 * 0.89 * 0.89 = 627.4
Athlon MP: 1000 * 0.85 * 0.85 = 722.5
Single CPU: 1000 (no handicap)

The weightings may still need a bit more tweaking, so I'm open to suggestions on those. The Xeon weightings are intended for the Nocoma core. I can't tell the difference between, for example, Nocoma and Prestonia, so older Xeons will be at a disadvantage.

The other alternative is to keep the multiprocessors completely separate.

Associate
Guys - unfortunately I'm going to be out of work as of next friday - contract ends and found out today I'm not getting an extension this time round, been there two years so it had to end sooner or later .. wont be long before I'm back on track but it does mean I may have to De-Boinc what PC's I do have running there - even if thats the case I will be leaving at least two of them up for the crunchathon though i'm not sure if they will last long before they get spotted etc.

Soldato
unlucky mister rogue sir - i do hope those two will be running einstein so i can pound you into submission

muwahahahahahahha - errr sorry it's late and i'm sleepy :p

oh sorry to hear about the job - hope you get something else sorted soon :)

MGP

MGP

Soldato
RogueTLDW said:
Guys - unfortunately I'm going to be out of work as of next friday - contract ends and found out today I'm not getting an extension this time round, been there two years so it had to end sooner or later .. wont be long before I'm back on track but it does mean I may have to De-Boinc what PC's I do have running there - even if thats the case I will be leaving at least two of them up for the crunchathon though i'm not sure if they will last long before they get spotted etc.

That's very bad news :( Hope you get another job soon. On the other hand, maybe I finally get the chance to catch you up :p

As for this compo, unfortunately I'm not going to be around enough to massage my PCs, as I'll be buried in exams. Maybe next time.

Man of Honour
OP
OK - update on the stats. I'm going to start a reload of SETI@home stats sometime tomorrow. Hopefully that'll be done inside 24 hours, but time will tell. Other projects take a few hours each.

Then I just need to do the stats page. Hopefully Tuesday/Wednesday for that.

So, here's hoping I can get it all done in time. :eek:

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Berserker said:
OK - update on the stats. I'm going to start a reload of SETI@home stats sometime tomorrow. Hopefully that'll be done inside 24 hours, but time will tell. Other projects take a few hours each.

Then I just need to do the stats page. Hopefully Tuesday/Wednesday for that.

So, here's hoping I can get it all done in time. :eek:

Loads of Pro-Plus washed down with Red Bull and you'll be fine :D

I'm sure we all appreciate your sterling efforts in organizing and running this competition (as well as the TeamOcUK stats site) and if we ever happen to wind up at the same OcUK meet, I will buy you a pint (or two).

Stan :)

Man of Honour
OP
At the moment, I'm trying to prevent the Team OcUK website from dieing for upwards of an hour during SETI@home updates (yes, it does - page load times of 20 minutes plus have been experienced personally).

As for meets, just don't think I'd cope on the BBQ/camping weekend, otherwise I'd be there in a flash. MB-organised events for the w1n. :(

Back
Top Bottom