Team OcUK - we need your spare CPU cycles

Associate
is it possilbe to have boinc and f@h running at the same time??
im currently doing about 5 boinc prjects, although climate predictor and protein predictor dont do anything really at the moment for some reason

nick

Associate
Great thread, Berserker.

Just want to remind anyone who's started Boinc and wants to be in the team, to join OcUK immediately, as any credits you get while off the team don't get transferred. ;)

@kicks66--I believe either boinc or f@h take precedence, and a single machine won't crunch both. But Predictor has similar aims to F@H (not identical). I don't know why it's not running well for you.

Soldato
Foiled said:
Just joined up to Folding@home, am I allowed to use the graphical user face? Or does it slow WUs down?
the GUI is fine - it only uses a little of the CPU time when you are actually viewing the pretty pictures, if you just have the icon in the system tray it does exactly the same as the console version.

If you have a dual/multi cpu system or HT you're better off starting with the consoles and setting them up as services - you can then use FahMon or EMIII (see links in the how-to in my sig) to monitor them if you want to see remaining time and EMIII even displays graphics if you want.

Welcome to the team - be sure to come and say hi in the DC forum :)

Man of Honour
Join TKC while you're at it - why not eh! - Link in Siggy to consume your mind and fascination at just how many times your keyboard get hit and your mouse clicked and scrolled :eek:

Associate
kicks66 said:
i just signed up for BURP, but it keeps saying there is no work and it is deferring communication, it hasnt even downloaded the software for it.

nick

You might consider doing another project--Climate Prediction is a good one--as a backup. You can run it on the same computer, but give it a lower resource share (1% of BURP, say). That way, your computer is always doing something useful, but prefers to do BURP when work units are available. ;)

Associate
Think I tried BOINC when it was first out. Had a few issues if I remember correctly. This thread has convinced me to get back to it and try again though. :cool:

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
pyro said:
Back in the good days it was just seti, now it's getting crowded :(

It being crowded means that there are so many worthwhile projects to choose from:
You can help find aliens; you can help predict climate changes; you can help find cures for diseases.....
There are so many useful things you can do in distributed computing it seems a shame to waste your spare CPU cycles.

So c'mon everybody, pay a visit to the DC FORUM , there's bound to be something that suits you :)

Hudzy said:
Think I tried BOINC when it was first out. Had a few issues if I remember correctly. This thread has convinced me to get back to it and try again though.

Go for it mate, you know it makes sense ;)

Stan :)

Associate
Have done. And it definately seems to have improved. Now running SETI, Protein Predictor, and Einstein. Just need to sneak this onto my Dad's PC now. :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Hudzy said:
Have done. And it definately seems to have improved. Now running SETI, Protein Predictor, and Einstein. Just need to sneak this onto my Dad's PC now. :D

Good for you - just tell your Dad it's security monitoring software - hopefully he'll never know the difference ;) (unless of course he's computer savvy).

I would do the same but my Dad's computer is hardly ever on :o

Stan :)

Associate
Hudzy said:

Most of boinc's kinks have gotten worked out--it runs pretty well overall. And Folding@Home is very stable, I hear. :)

Soldato
rameen said:
And Folding@Home is very stable, I hear. :)
yep they haven't had to update the client in a long time - all updates for the last year or so have been to add extra capabilities for examining different proteins, the servers are also extremely reliable and don't depend on eachother

Boinc does have it's funny moments but that's the beauty of signing up for more than one boinc project - you can always fall back on the others if one goes down

Associate
rich99million said:
Boinc does have it's funny moments but that's the beauty of signing up for more than one boinc project - you can always fall back on the others if one goes down

Having more than one project adds to the fun, too, as you can stomp up several tables at once. ;)

Soldato
yep lots of new people on Folding@Home, the more the merrier and if you join now you'll be able to race up the ranks rather than having to wait till you get through the slackers to have a little fun

does anyone know who is going by the name sculptor(OcUK)? whoever it is certainly got into folding in a big way :eek: :D

Back
Top Bottom