Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 26th August 2005

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
I went away for the weekend yet got away with leaving all but one cruncher on without any getting switched off :D

Soldato
OP
Haly said:
I went away for the weekend yet got away with leaving all but one cruncher on without any getting switched off :D
errr in that case - the machine that wasn't on isn't the one that has the modem connection is it?

linky - no sign of work for the last couple of days :o

hope they had enough work to keep them busy :)

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
rich99million said:
errr in that case - the machine that wasn't on isn't the one that has the modem connection is it?

linky - no sign of work for the last couple of days :o

hope they had enough work to keep them busy :)
Nope :confused: That's all sorted by the router.
Hopefully they've all got 600 pointers then as those 3 will all take a while to crunch.
I know one of them has got a 600 pointer but can't check the other two.

Associate
Kyzia said:
Lol... yeah, that could possibly work if it wasn't for the fact that the person I suspect of doing it is my boss and a fellow cruncher (though he won't crunch for team 10 no matter how much I try to persuade him)

So he knows the reason I want it left on over weekends etc. Me-thinks I need some creative revenge tactics...

You could always disconnect the power LED, set it to turn on when no one will be there (with some program or task scheduler it think can do that) and then set it to stand by or hybernate.

Associate
rich99million said:
:(

next time you'll flash it from windows - though i remember the day when that seemed crazy compared to the relatively safe option of a boot disk :o
can you RMA the board?

I used the AsusUpdate tool thingy, I've had the board (Asus A8N SLI) for over6 months now, plus the north bridge fan had been taken off for W/C, it was too loud anyway :o

Looks like I might have to get another board, but I'm gonna chack that this CPU is ok first.

Soldato
OP
Haly said:
Nope :confused: That's all sorted by the router.
Hopefully they've all got 600 pointers then as those 3 will all take a while to crunch.
I know one of them has got a 600 pointer but can't check the other two.
phew - well i hope so :)

watch out for the dreaded gromacs error that has been beating me severely over the weekend, they've released a new core now that will solve the problem so hopefully you'll have escaped :)

NeedleGunner - doh! Hope it's not too expensive :(

Last edited:
Associate
NeedleGunner, just a thought, it might just be that youve corrupted the bios chip and a replacement would sort it out. Its happened to me on more than a few occasions. Ive got 2 mobos that need a replacement chip at the mo but theyll have to wait till I get back.
I try to have aleast 2 of every mobo, if something happens to a board I just try it with a chip from another board and if that works I know its only going to cost **** £15 to sort it.
If you think it might be the bios chip try here:
www.motherboard-biosflash.co.uk

Tom :)

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
rich99million said:
phew - well i hope so :)

watch out for the dreaded gromacs error that has been beating me severely over the weekend, they've released a new core now that will solve the problem so hopefully you'll have escaped :)
How can I check that? :o I'm a bit thick at the best of times and I've not slept much in a week :o

Soldato
OP
Haly said:
How can I check that? :o I'm a bit thick at the best of times and I've not slept much in a week :o
Just check back through the log file (FAHlog.txt) or using EMIII and see if the all WUs have finished happily (ie. they get to frame 100 and say finished) if you see the following then you've got a problem:

Code:
[03:15:57] Completed 207500 out of 250000 steps  (83) 
[03:20:59] Timered checkpoint triggered. 
[03:26:01] Timered checkpoint triggered. 
[03:31:03] Timered checkpoint triggered. 
[03:36:03] Timered checkpoint triggered. 
[03:41:03] Timered checkpoint triggered. 
[03:46:03] Timered checkpoint triggered. 
[03:51:03] Timered checkpoint triggered. 
[03:54:03] Writing local files 
[03:54:04] Completed 210000 out of 250000 steps  (84) 
[03:59:06] Timered checkpoint triggered. 
[04:04:06] Timered checkpoint triggered. 
[04:09:07] Timered checkpoint triggered. 
[04:14:07] Timered checkpoint triggered. 
[04:19:08] Timered checkpoint triggered. 
[04:24:09] Timered checkpoint triggered. 
[HIGHLIGHT][04:29:09] - Couldn't open work/wudata_08.chk 
[04:29:09] Timered checkpoint triggered. 
[04:32:10] Writing local files 
[04:32:10] Gromacs error. 
[04:32:10] 
[04:32:10] Folding@home Core Shutdown: UNKNOWN_ERROR 
[04:32:13] CoreStatus = 79 (121) 
[04:32:13] Client-core communications error: ERROR 0x79[/HIGHLIGHT]
[04:32:13] Deleting current work unit & continuing... 
[04:32:33] Trying to send all finished work units 
[04:32:33] + No unsent completed units remaining.

I wouldn't worry too much - like you said they could just have 600-pointers and are ready to drop soon.

If you do find that you've had errors and the client is still using the v1.84 core (it will tell you what core at the start of each WU - see below) then stop the client, delete FahCore_78 from the folding@home directory, then restart the client and it should get the newer core

Code:
[14:24:23] 
[14:24:23] *------------------------------*
[HIGHLIGHT][14:24:23] Folding@Home Gromacs Core
[14:24:23] Version 1.84 (July 27, 2005)[/HIGHLIGHT]
[14:24:23] 
[14:24:23] Preparing to commence simulation
[14:24:23] - Assembly optimizations manually forced on.
[14:24:23] - Not checking prior termination.
[14:24:29] - Expanded 2966965 -> 16166417 (decompressed 544.8 percent)
[14:24:29] 
[14:24:29] Project: 1140 (Run 31, Clone 73, Gen 15)

probably best to leave it until you're more awake - party animal :p :D

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Ahh looks like 2 out of 4 are fine then :) I'll check the other two in the morning.
rich99million said:
probably best to leave it until you're more awake - party animal :p :D
I wish :o:(

Soldato
Good grief, I'm a Black slacking sheep this week and deservedly so! However, the firewall malarky has been fixed and I've even managed to borg on of the work pcs (only a 1ghz celery). Now, if I can work out why my wireless network back in the uk's borked I'll be able to get the Barton cooking too.

FAO BigStan - stop breathing down my neck dude or I'll order an airstrike on you! ;) You might be catching up atm but when all 3 rigs are working properly I'll be showing you a clean pair of heels again! :p

Associate
sculptor said:
NeedleGunner, just a thought, it might just be that youve corrupted the bios chip and a replacement would sort it out. Its happened to me on more than a few occasions. Ive got 2 mobos that need a replacement chip at the mo but theyll have to wait till I get back.
I try to have aleast 2 of every mobo, if something happens to a board I just try it with a chip from another board and if that works I know its only going to cost **** £15 to sort it.
If you think it might be the bios chip try here:
www.motherboard-biosflash.co.uk

Tom :)

Nice one mate, you could just be a life saver :D Can't really afford a new mobo at the moment, so for what it will cost for new bios chip is ok.

Thanks sculptor :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Trick said:
FAO BigStan - stop breathing down my neck dude or I'll order an airstrike on you! ;) You might be catching up atm but when all 3 rigs are working properly I'll be showing you a clean pair of heels again! :p

:D

I think you may find me a little more difficult to shake off than you think.

I am waiting for the rest of the bits for my other P4 system to arrive from Shetland (where they have been gathering dust for the last 9 months :o ).

Once I get it up and running, it should boost my ppd to over 600 (assuming it gets QMDs like the other one) - it will be a welcome addition to the farm, whatever it's output.

Stan :)

Soldato
Naff modemness and still two stomps :p

Permission to wear this sig in place of the slacker one? ;)

And jeez, these small Gromacs woos are annoying. 32 hours spent so far on a 251-pointer, and still 8 more to go.

Soldato
rich99million said:
reminds me that i really must play with the HowTo a bit so that the first post explains what the project does before getting into the setup

Weird as I was reading it earlier after getting the address for the sig, and thinking the very same thing! A paragraph about what it does and why it's wonderful would be great :)

Associate
rich99million said:
in that case just reconfigure it to team 10 :p
even better get your username in there aswell :D

you think he'd take the joke?

Hmm... as it turns out I'd misjudged him (this time) the fault for the slackiness lies with some workmen who were working in an office down the corridor.

They had the room sealed off to remove some asbestos from the room and decided in their wisdom to completely remove an entire switch box from the wall which resulted in the entire block losing network/internet connectivity over the bank holiday weekend. I think they also decided for good measure to shut off the power to the block (goodness knows why) just to finish the job properly. So I therefore nominate the asbestos removing workmen for the slacker's award this week.

I might still do that reconfiguring though... boss probably wouldn't notice for quite a while :D :cool:

Back
Top Bottom