Project: Measure twice cut once! (56k no!)

Soldato
OP
yeah that was a thought, I did tilt it around with just the pump on the other day but I suppose a shake won't do it any harm. You reckon trapped air might be causing the temp probs?

Soldato
OP
m3csl2004 said:
deltas would be better.... :D

everyone goes on about panaflows dont they???

and, btw, how much has it all cost you in total then???

good god! 59dba! my ears will be bleeding!

And yes, panaflo also seem to be good but the noiseblockers look better..

cost? erm..

I reckon..

250 cpu
200 gfx
80 case
80 mobo
200 wcooling

the rest of it I had sat around anyway so it doesn't count :o

£810ish, no intention of keeping both PCs so one will go sooner or later.

Associate
If your rad is hot, then I doubt it is air in it. Try the bleed screw on the top if it is a thermochill (not sure)

I'd go for different fan config tbh.

In order of efficiency
Pull-pull (2 fans)
push-pull (2 fans)
pull (1 fan)
push (1 fan)

Your fan complete with grill on case will struggle to get enough pressure to force through rad. (no idea of rpm/cfm of the supplied fan)

As a first step you could try it on the outside and pulling through the rad. (no extra cost) and see what diff it makes.

Soldato
OP
***F1ZZY*** said:
If your rad is hot, then I doubt it is air in it. Try the bleed screw on the top if it is a thermochill (not sure)

I'd go for different fan config tbh.

In order of efficiency
Pull-pull (2 fans)
push-pull (2 fans)
pull (1 fan)
push (1 fan)

Your fan complete with grill on case will struggle to get enough pressure to force through rad. (no idea of rpm/cfm of the supplied fan)

As a first step you could try it on the outside and pulling through the rad. (no extra cost) and see what diff it makes.

pull pull? 2 fans in series you mean?

it has played on my mind that 1 rubbish fan pushing into a black ice extreme is a bad combination.. especially when that is the exhaust too so it's already got hot ambient air to contend with.

Might put a blowhole on the side to get rid of the mem/nb hot air before it hits the rad.

Associate
pull pull is reckoned to be the best for airflow through a rad. ie 2 fans back to back on the outside sucking air from in the case (preferably with a shroud of standoff ~1in from rad fins)

Another thought - depends on system temps - try having the fan in the existing location but flipped around so that it sucks cold air through the rad and into the case.

This will raise the system temp but will lower the temp for cpu and gfx - you'd need to find the balance here plus maybe a top blowhole to exhaust hot air would help.

Because you only have a relatively small rad and powerful cpu/gfx, to give the rad best chance, give it cold (outside of case air) to give max delta T of water to air.

Associate
m3csl2004 said:
deltas would be better.... :D

everyone goes on about panaflows dont they???

and, btw, how much has it all cost you in total then???
I can recommend the panaflo's. Got a couple 7 volt modded on my heater core, really quiet (have to stick ear next to them to hear anything) and they have dropped my temps by about 6-7 degrees

Soldato
OP
Going to Cali said:
That's beautiful, nicely done mate. Can I ask where you got your desk from? My email is in trust or can you link since ocuk don't do furniture?

yep, the desk is here I had to chop it a bit to make it fit that alcove perfectly but once you get the modding bug ;) it's just what I wanted, plain, thick, solid wood with none of this nonsense of printer shelves and cd storage.

monkeypants said:
Wow you actually got it finished :D

Looks ace and I can't wait to do mine.

PS. First dibs on your old watercooling! I'd email, but it's borked at the moment. :rolleyes:

thanks, and if you want dibs you'll be buying the lot because this baby isn't being split, at the very most it'll all go into a shuttle and stay on the desk.

And finally, on the fans.. just realised I've got 2 akasa ambers in my current pc that achieve virtually nothing so I'm going to nick them and stick them in push pull coming INTO the case, the psu can act as exhaust for the time being.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
yay yay yay!

done the 2 x 120mm akasa amber mod with them on push pull INTO the case, it could be quieter but I think speedfan will sort that but the news!

Idle 35-38, full load (currently doing 2 8mb superpis) not even 50...

sweeeeeeeeeeeet.

matt is happy.. unbelievable that this has knocked over 15 degrees off the load temp!!!!

Another pleasant side effect is the blue led fan I was using is now in the front of my lian li where one of these akasas was and is giving it a mean blue glow through the front panel :D

I must love this.. I bought a psp today and haven't touched it :rolleyes:

Associate
Nice work Matt. I thought that the new fan config could knock ~10degrees off but 15, you must be chuffed.

Watch for dust though, those rads clog quickly and aint the easiest to clean as dust can penetrate quite far into the fins.

For perfection, I'd maybe try pull-pull with both fans inside the case (look nicer too) with an ali fan grill/filter on the outside of the rad so that it can be cleaned easy.

I just got a PSP too from malaysia (I travel a lot) only cost 100 quid or so. Got it with 3 games for ~180 :D - Looking forward to getting some hacks and watchinmovies on it etc - plus cant wait for mini HDD to come out for it. mmmmmm mobile media

You defo got the most p!mped and aspiring case :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
pull pull isn't a bad idea. Space is a bit of an issue but it always has been with this.

The only issue now is the fact that is warms up inside (as I expected having 2 fans in and nothing out.

I overclocked it to 3.3ghz and left it idling overnight, came down this morning and it was at 45ish on the cpu but the mobo was over 50 which I'm not happy with.

I'm guessing an exit blowhole is going to be the only option but I'd really rather not.

The other options is push pull the other way through the rad but that'll be back to the hot air cooling the rad problem... :confused:

Suggestions?

And next project?? fancy something in a shuttle but I'm so impressed with this cpu I might swap the mobo on my main pc to an sli pentium 830d dual 7800gtx setup.

Associate
Try push pull the other way and see.

Assume case temp of 30degC and room of 25degC - you would have 5 degrees less delta T on rad (water to air) I'd guess you'd probably half the 15 degree improvement you have just seen.

You could be lucky tho and not get much difference - as now you would actually be having more air passing over the rad than the single fan (2 fans in series give good pressure) The combination of the psu and the 120's should be turning out much more CFM through the case than before. ie lower case temps = lower air temp into rad plus the 2 fans mmmmmmmm

All speculation though - as I mentioned in a few posts back it will be about finding the right balance of case temp vs water (cpu/gfx) temps.

Try it and see......... :D

Soldato
OP
I thought I could remove the floppy drive cover to have a bigger air inlet too?

Positive movement of air from front to back again although the drive is obviously above the mem and nb so I suppose there is the danger of the air just shooting through and missing the hot components?

PS. it's a pain in the ass getting the case off! it doesn't slide so it needs to be bent and cajoled into position.. not doing this too often, I'll have no fingers left!

Back
Top Bottom