Project: Measure twice cut once! (56k no!)

Associate
Shooting through and missing components isn't that bad. Means colder air to rad and with the airstream in case and not hot air pumped in, should lower mobo and case temp.

Might be the balance you are after.....watch those fingers :p

Associate
Have you tried crunching on 1 core (prime, pi etc) and running games or 3mark on the other so that gfx is pumping into loop too.

Your load temps on 2 cases pi might be lower than 1 pi with 3d stuff. Just a thought.

Soldato
OP
***F1ZZY*** said:
Have you tried crunching on 1 core (prime, pi etc) and running games or 3mark on the other so that gfx is pumping into loop too.

Your load temps on 2 cases pi might be lower than 1 pi with 3d stuff. Just a thought.

bah!

don't say that!

I'll give it a try.. probably all at once again (swap fans, open case and run 3dm+superpi) haven't got the patience to try each in turn!

Associate
Sorry to keep you busy, but hope you appreciate my comments none-the-less!

/edit/ I'd be very very surprised if you could detect a difference in temps with/without floppy cover - you may detect more noise from front of case though. The case is open enough plus your hole in bottom (he he) to allow air in. I'd be tempted to leave floppy cover in place for aesthetics and accoustics /edit/

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
well I've finally done the pull pull, and it does seem happier.. idling at 38 on the cpu and 36 on the case...

going to leave it overnight and if its happy then its going to its new owner and I'm on the the next project!

Soldato
OP
Final update I guess...

I ran 3d mark 05 whilst doing an 8mb prime and the cpu went up to 60 and mobo 45 which I consider to be about as full load as I need to ensure it won't overheat.. Thats overclocked to 3.3ghz and after having run several primes so the water had gotten close to its natural heat (ie I wasn't benefiting from cool water).

I also left it on overnight and came down to find it at 41 idle cpu and 38 idle mobo, again, perfectly happy with that.

So I guess it's done.. Stick some photos in the case and watercooled gallery and thanks for all the input/help!

Daft ideas floating around at the moment are mounting a mac mini inside my current case.. Getting a G4 cube and putting a pc/mac mini inside it or just some normal stuff like a cpu/mobo upgrade on my current pc or making a shuttle.. I do like OSX though so it may well be mac based since I got rid of my ibook.

One thing this has proved is I want to have 2 pcs.. I managed to diagnose a network problem the other day only because I had a "spare" pc to test things with.

Soldato
OP
lol...

a month to put it together.. 2 hours to get it in bits again.. all cleaned up and on its way to the MM for sale :rolleyes:

paying for a move to an amd x2 4400 and 2 7800gtxs in sli :D

another project on the way!

Ali

Ali

Associate
nothing short of spectacular!

can believe you're selling it after all that effort :eek:

EDIT: got a Blue and White G3 case just begging for a project - lack of time and disposable income atm (hate having to eat etc)

Last edited:
Associate
i like eating but hate having to pay for it! :D

dude, i see you found that all the effort in the world cant make up for the fact the current dualcore intels are dud's

good luck with your sale :)

m3

Soldato
OP
lol..

not duds, it was very quick but I've given up trying to convince myself that having some ddr2/more complicated overclocking is reason enough not to switch!

I nearly paid £500 for an fx55 about 6 months ago so the opportunity to have 2 in my pc (a 4400 generally goes to 2.5/2.6) is too good to miss.

Associate
i can't even afford a 754 sempron :( and you want 2 top of the range 939 cpu's????

*counts pennies

nearly a grands worth of cpu's there, you planning on running both alternatly ot buying 2 boards???

Soldato
OP
m3csl2004 said:
i can't even afford a 754 sempron :( and you want 2 top of the range 939 cpu's????

*counts pennies

nearly a grands worth of cpu's there, you planning on running both alternatly ot buying 2 boards???

no you silly arse, I meant a dual core amd 64 running at 2.6ghz on each core with 1mb cache is effectively 2 fx55s stuck together :D

even I wouldn't pay £1000 for a cpu!

Back
Top Bottom