The greatest discovery of all time

Associate
by

Dr. Seth Shostak

The chances are there's life out there, but any messages could be thousands of years old and indecipherable. Roger Highfield reports

Aliens are probably common. Because there are billions of trillions of stars in the cosmos, many astronomers think it would be highly improbable for Earth to be the only rock to harbour life.

Whether ET is intelligent is still hotly debated. But no one doubts that the receipt of a signal from another civilisation would be Earth-shattering. "It would surely be the greatest discovery of all time, eclipsing the findings of Newton, Dawin and Einstein combined," says Prof Paul Davies, a British cosmologist from the Australian Centre for Astrobiology at Macquarie University.

more Info

http://www.opinion.telegraph.co.uk/...&sSheet=/connected/2005/10/05/ixconnrite.html

Sir Ulli

Man of Honour
Soldato
Alright now everybody play nice. We've heard the endless debate of SETI vs. FAH and I don't think anybody's going to give upon either project. Sure SETI might be a needle-in-a-haystack search, sure Folding benefits Vijay Pande and big evil drug companies (that btw is the most frequent objection to FAH I hear). All DC projects are beneficial and we do them for fun.

(reggae music) Why can't we be friends? Why can't we be friends?...

jk :p

Soldato
i think that we are not the only ones, how in this uber large ever expanding space we be the only living ones?

maby there is a parrallel side where we are as modern as the et or maby they are still in caveman times :p

besides its takes thousands of years for radio signals to be sent out and they can fade and be interupted,

you never know something that we think is common might be a signal from somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom