Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 7th October 2005

Man of Honour
Oops - looks like I may have sent a dodgy result or two back to Stanford.

Prime95 unstable PC at stock. I think it's only been like that for a day or two though (since I added more RAM).

Giving 'er a boot up the backside (more volts) and a thorough melting with Prime95 :D

Associate
rich99million said:
even though they are all inactive i thought it was still fair that the new peeps should get included - slacky never used to in his Seti Classic stats but as we only have a handful of new members each week i thought what the hell
tongue.gif

It gives the newcomers a nice boost and might sway them to carry on.. It worked for me :p

Welcome jamief BTW

Associate
Berserker said:
Oops - looks like I may have sent a dodgy result or two back to Stanford.

Prime95 unstable PC at stock. I think it's only been like that for a day or two though (since I added more RAM).

Giving 'er a boot up the backside (more volts) and a thorough melting with Prime95 :D

Ahem, not the only one... :o My 333 Barton was stable at 2500 with Prime, loaded F@H up and it started spitting out WU's...

Ooopsy.

Man of Honour
Prime unstable at stock & 2.65V. Reluctant to push on to 2.75V, so I've slacked off the timings a little to 2-3-3-6. This mobo is a little on the old side and I'd like to treat it gently. :)

Associate
(BoG) Napalm said:
Ahem, not the only one... :o My 333 Barton was stable at 2500 with Prime, loaded F@H up and it started spitting out WU's...

Ooopsy.

Theres nothing like a couple of Gromacs WUs to see if your rig is stable.
Ive had Prime95 stable before then start up F@H and all you see is Early unit end. Tends to happen more with the Athlon XPs, A64s seem to be a bit better.
I use Super-Pi to 32Million places seems to work for me, a bit quicker than Prime95 as well.

Associate
Yep - exactly that. I did have it stable at 2.5, but I totally forgot what vCore I had it at. So I guessed around 1.8, ran Prime for a few hours, seemed stable (it usually crashes out before then).

D'oh. I'll give it a bit more tomorrow - once I've installed the fan controller. A vantec tornado is too loud for 24/7.

Associate
When you have it stable try using timeless WUs at first youll only get Tinkers which are less stressfull than Gromacs and the Athlon XPs are quicker at them clock for clock than the A64s.
When I had my Xp 2500+ on the vapo clocked at 2.5Ghz it would do one a day, 240ppd is very good for any AMD rig. ;)

Soldato
Well I should see production back up again now I'm back in the uk for a week and i've managed to get the Barton running again. It seems the Linksys WAP54g just died for no reason. No lights on it and I can't seem to revive it at all. The transformer still appears to work and there's no evidence of any dried joints on the pcb. Nevermind, I've reverted back to network cables!

Associate
Trick said:
Well I should see production back up again now I'm back in the uk for a week and i've managed to get the Barton running again. It seems the Linksys WAP54g just died for no reason. No lights on it and I can't seem to revive it at all. The transformer still appears to work and there's no evidence of any dried joints on the pcb. Nevermind, I've reverted back to network cables!

Nice to have you back on board Trick, even if it is only for a week. Shame your wi-fi died there mate, atleast with cables you never loose the conection.
Give that Barton some wellie. ;)

Soldato
sculptor said:
Nice to have you back on board Trick, even if it is only for a week. Shame your wi-fi died there mate, atleast with cables you never loose the conection.
Give that Barton some wellie. ;)
Cheers mate. It's so damn cold in the UK! And what's this stuff falling from the sky?

Man of Honour
sculptor said:
What motherboard are you running? Just thinking it might not be your ram, have you Memtested it?
I'm thinking the same. It's had several hours of memtest.

Berserker said:
I may go back to 1GB :(
Yoink. :(

Must admit I didn't memtest86/Prime95 test it when I put the first two sticks in - I just assumed it would be stable. Can't say I noticed any stability issues though (apart from the PSU going bang).

Man of Honour
Soldato
Mr. Berserker, rumor has it you have a dual xeon cruncher. What mobo are you running and what sort of ram timings can you run? If I have time I'll begin the assembly of my dual xeon machine today by doing vcore and vdimm mods to my Asus PC-DL and I'm looking to see what other folks are running. :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
BillytheImpaler said:
Mr. Berserker, rumor has it you have a dual xeon cruncher. What mobo are you running and what sort of ram timings can you run? If I have time I'll begin the assembly of my dual xeon machine today by doing vcore and vdimm mods to my Asus PC-DL and I'm looking to see what other folks are running. :p
It's an OEM Prestonia box - no overclocking potential whatsoever (without doing wire mods, and I'm not going anywhere near doing those). Nocoma core for the win. :D

Man of Honour
Soldato
Berserker said:
It's an OEM Prestonia box - no overclocking potential whatsoever (without doing wire mods, and I'm not going anywhere near doing those). Nocoma core for the win. :D

PCDL-16vcore.jpg

X9-alt.jpg

Well this evening I'm going to be elbow deep in wee little wires that have to fit into 12 of 1208 wee little holes.
:eek: I'm not as much afraid of that as i am of having to solder a variable resistor to the vdimm circuit to bump up the voltage from 2.6 to anything lower than 3.2V (some of the guys over at 2-CPU run 3.5V!). It's all going to be worth it though.

Prestonias at 16*200MHz? Yes, please.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom