Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 4th November 2005

Ken

Ken

Associate
Went home for the first time since leaving for uni back in September to find out my brother has deleted the Folding@Home folder! :eek:

He thought it was a virus using up resources. Well that finally explains the decrease in the number of CPUs. Probably been down for about three weeks. Oh well, back up and running now.

Soldato
OP
Ken said:
He thought it was a virus using up resources. Well that finally explains the decrease in the number of CPUs. Probably been down for about three weeks. Oh well, back up and running now.
yep I'm afraid brothers are the worst thing for Folding@Home - you'll notice he didn't mention anything about this to you at the time

i had to use the beta client on my server at home to limit the memory available as my brother kept killing the cores using Task Manager as he thought it was using too much memory. It was infact Windows Update that was slowing the thing down but did he ask me? nooooooo :mad:

Soldato
YAY well done all a nice little increase in team output this week. Sorry about my low production again, I've been in final stages of developing an extremly processor intensive app at work so my test box has been used for pesky work stuff again :(

Hopefully I'll get acces to some test servers next week so they might be busy during the evenings :D

HT

Soldato
Hmm the X2 here at home seems to have an average of 50 from the trickles.
The work lappy is, well, very weak compared to that.

But that's Climateprediction.net not folding..

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Further to my earlier post regarding the construction of a new cruncher.

Already ordered:

A8NSLi premium
A64 4000+ San Diego
6600GT PCIe 128MB
2x512 Corsair XMS3200XL pro twinx cas2

To be ordered on Wednesday once wages clear:

DVD R/RW (X2)
Case + PSU
250GB Maxtor SATA

Extras (once the bank manager comes off his ventilator)

7.1 sound card
7.1 speakers
Wireless router
Fancy cordless keyboard and mouse set
2nd HDD (will be in RAID 0 with other one)
32" LCD monitor/TV

Am I missing anything?

Stan :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I think I'm going to splash out on one as a little xmas present to myself, along with a pentium M cruncher as a small side project. btw, how on earth has your post-count rocketed over 58000!? That looks remarkably like Gilly's number of posts to me... Spill the beans....

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Trick said:
I think I'm going to splash out on one as a little xmas present to myself, along with a pentium M cruncher as a small side project. btw, how on earth has your post-count rocketed over 58000!? That looks remarkably like Gilly's number of posts to me... Spill the beans....

Too much time spent in spam central :p

I actually bought 56,000 odd in a charity post-count auction recently. :o

Stan :)

PS: All components now ordered for the new machine, now all I need is the time to put them all together (I decided to go for another 1GB RAM in the end) :D

Back
Top Bottom