Plasma or Projector?

Associate
I'd like to splash out on a decent screen at some stage to showcase my swelling DVD collection, but I don't know whether a projector or plasma would be the best route.

Do films etc. better on plasma than a projector despite being able to produce a brighter picture? Is now even a good time to buy either, as it seems advances in digital technology is bringing the prices down, so would it be worth waiting a year or so for prices to settle?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
TBH this is one of those questions which if you have to ask then dont get either.

Demo both, they are expensive items, you cant really compare them either as they are absolutely oposite in terms of features.

A plasma is a small bright screen ideal for everyday bright TV viewing or information display (why they are used so often in stations etc) a projector produce huge cinematic images, but you must have a light controlled room for them.

The image quality will depend on the projector, but if you get a decent one then it should be as good as a plasma until you grow it obscenely

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Plasma's dont go big!:p about the largest ive seen is 50" or so...which is a bit lame for home cinema!

Also indeed plasmas become rather faded over the years, but my guess is that if you can afford one now you can afford one in 5 years time when this one dies!

Associate
50" is big enough though im fairly sure you can get bigger ones, just dont expect to see them much, they cost loads of ££££'s, even when compared to the normal ones.

Personally though I just cant stand projectors, the image quality is weak.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
A projector should look as good as a plasma screen of the same size, and should look a lot better than a television even at large sizes, picture quality from them is pretty much unbeatable

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Projector:

Cheap(er), portable, last longer, bigger screen.

Plasma Screen:

Looks nice on the wall, stronger image.

Id say projector all the way, even when the screen is 5' across the image is very viewable in a darkened room.

Associate
I have a 42" JVC plasma and can wholeheartedly reccomend plasma for a viewing technology.
You can use it in bright light just like a tv, you can walk around in front of it if you like, you don't need long front to back cable runs for any of your av equipment.

Plasma screens do get dimer over time but the half life is i believe 18,000 hours.

If you're going dedicated Home theater then get a projector, you can get the screen much bigger, but if it's for everyday use go plasma

Associate
NEC do a 61" Plasma for around £13000, the 50" Pioneer PDP503(blah!, blah!) is around £7000-£8000k

would like a plasma just to reduce the amount of intrusion into the room that is taken up by a CRT, or a ceiling mounted projector for the same reason.

Jez,

What do you watch normal telly on then, do you use the projector for that to??

Ogbyte

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I bought a cheap 28" 4:3 set for background telly, if i wanna actually watch a specific program i will put the projector on for it.

Associate
I suppose the ideal would be a Project for those special HT movie moments or good proggy on SKY, whilst normal viewing of tv etc is done on a cheap 32/42 inch plasma (plasma and cheap not normally useable in same sentence thought :) )

Ogbyte

Soldato
my advice is to wait until after xmas & purchase a panasonic screen from richer sounds for £2500, they are around £3200 at the moment.

ive sold my 50inch pioneer plasma screen & bought a 28inch sony ls60 for 600 to tide me over!

as a side note this tvs picture is the best ive seen anywhere.

Last edited:
Associate
i'd say plasma, i've played with both and although it costs more i prefer plasma, the projector can just be too dependant on other things i.e. light, position of your screen, even dust! the plasma is just a hastle free way of getting quality pictures

Associate
I've got a Philips Csmart projector and its one of the best gagdets i've ever bought.:D

Was gonna get a plasma but they cost too much for me.

The projectors pic quality is great, and the lamp lifes 6000 hours which is superb!

Oh and if u ever get a projector, make sure to try out Wipeout Fusion on the PSX2 with it. IT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Associate
Originally posted by Wilderbeast
50" plasma screens are currently retailing for £13,000 - and they fade by 10% a year, so the projector is gonna be better i think, you'll get a really nice one for £13,000.

They wouldn't last many years at that rate then.

Are they really that bad at degradation?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses, I think I would be happier getting a budget project for now just to see how I get along. And of course to hold off for the inevitable improvements in technology and lower prices.

The fading plasma screen scenario is not really acceptable for me, I worked out as a particular example, that one screen would last only about 7 years based on 4 hours viewing per day. Which is a hard pill to swallow considering what you are spending.

I don't feel that there's much decent TV about to warrant 50"+ viewing at widescreen, so therefore I don't mind keeping the big screen viewing to just my film collection, my question is though are there any decent projectors for around the £1000-2000 mark? Or is the quality not worth the effort at this price level?

I know this is quite a subjective question but hopefully those in the know should have some strong opinions about it.

Cheers

Associate
Don't dis plasma till you've used it. I watch mine a lot and i struggle to put 1k hours on it in a year, there is no difference in the brightness of the screen since when i bought it (it;s only on 50% anyway), and it does not deteriorate if you're not using it, only whilst on.
IMHO the convenince of having one screen for tv and for films is a massive bonus. you get so used to the screen size even for normal tv.

The best option for buying a plasma is to do what i did and purchase and ex rental one.

Mine was 2.5k when i bought it as apposed to an rrp of £5k it's important to check the plasmas been used evenly, but putting it on white back you should be able to see any burn in immediatly.

i'm looking at a 18 year life on my screen which easily justifies the price, besides i'm sure i'll decide to get a bigger one oh a HT room before i need to replace it

Associate
Kingsley.

Where do you rent and buy ex-rental one's from?

Went into Currys Friday night and looked at a Pioneer 42in Plasma,WOW,I've not seen colours and contrast like it.Only £5000.

There was a 42in Samsung,complete with tuner,built in speakers and stand for £2700.

Still,the future looks bright.

Back
Top Bottom