Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 16th December 2005

Soldato
OP
Steevo38 said:
Very nice stats as usual Sir.

Did you miss any more tiffies? Cough Cough!!! :(
nope nope don't think I did :p

actually I was going to give you one for your 250K as it's such a nice number, the problem comes with the fact that you can't actually get a Tiffy to display for 225K or 275K (they would come out as 220K and 270K respectively on the stanford site) which is why I have stuck to every 20K over 100K

If somebody who is good with Graphics would be nice enough to come up with a few team tiffy designs then perhaps we could change to our own system - or i could just post tiffy's every 10K i suppose ;) :D

edit: I could have course just post Tiffy accouncements for 25's and 75's even though you can't get a Tiffy which displays them - i might have to go for that for now unless anyone is particularly worried about it, I'm sure many would rather show off a 250K tiffy than a 240K or 260K anyway as it's just a nicer number
speaking of which...... get yer tiffy out for the lads!!! :D

Last edited:
Associate
What a difference 7 days and another dedicated cruncher makes, finally hit the 800 ppd mark. Should'nt be long to make up for the lost time on classic.

Now all i have to do, is remember where are the rest of my spare parts are hiding :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Well well.

After having a winge to rich at the Swansea meet, my new A64 rig is finally getting some 600 pointers - just finished one and now starting another. It's liking them too - PPD of over 300 :D giving me a total PPD of nearly 600. If I get the laptop fixed today, should take it over 600 and then when I get the Prescott replaced well, 800-900. Look out Trick, I've not given up yet :D

Stan :)

Soldato
Mate, I'm not catching up nearly as quickly as I anticipated. I had a good day where I managed over 1500 pts but since then I've become addicted to BF2 and Lost on the main rig which has seriously dendted it's production, not to mention a crash (messing about with A64Tweaker) which killed a 600 pointer (Boo).

On a good note I mangaged to tweak 2.6ghz out of the Winchester and the Opteron's now stable at 3Ghz so when they're running without my interference they absolutely steam through the woos. It's quite strange just how much quicker the 146 is than the Winny. Even disregarding the 400mhz difference, the far better ram in the Opteron and the 1mb cache make a HUGH difference.

I still can't get the Barton above 2.3ghz but it seems to be happy cooking away in the cupboard. I even think the lowly Celeron 1ghz I stealth borged in Basrah is still crunching slowly! :)

Soldato
I'm thinking of getting an Opteron and clocking it. Trick, do you know how long the Opty takes to get through a 364-point WU? (p1478-1481)

Soldato
Hang on, I'll look....

The benchmark suggests that the min time is 12mn 48s - 409.50 ppd. I'm not sure how that compares to other people's opttys and that time is likely to come from when I had it clocked at 2.8ghz (only just gone to 3ghz).

Soldato
Hmm, that's interesting.

Mattus ->
Min. Time / Frame : 11mn 23s - 460.46 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 12mn 39s - 414.35 ppd

That's from a Winchester at 2.4Ghz. (Might have been clocked at 2.5 for the 460ppd.) Wouldn't have expected that!

Soldato
That is a bit weird. I can only think those times I have were taken when I've been using the oppty for something else, hence it's not getting 99/100% cpu usage. Weird. What fsb and mem timings are you running? Annoyingly the Winchester hasn't received one of these woos since i last updated FAHMon.

The optty should be running full speed when it's left alone. it does a sub 30s superpi1mb happily

Last edited:
Soldato
240FSB x 10 = 2400Mhz
1GB Crucial Ballistix @ 240Mhz, 2.5-3-3-10

Does the SuperPI 1m in about 35s so yours should be quite a bit faster!

I can only think those times I have were taken when I've been using the oppty for something else

That's probably it - I've noticed that even playing music in Winamp can affect times quite a bit. My times go right down at night.

Soldato
Yep, it's certainly strange. The memory's on a divider atm and was running at 233mhz 2,3,3,5 1T when at 2.8ghz. I may try it at 1:1 280mhz 2.5,4,4,7 to see if I can wring some more bandwidth out of it (it's good stuff this GeilONE tccd!). Sadly the m/board craps out when trying 3ghz at 1:1 regardless of timings.

[edit] nope, it's as I expected. The av8 just waves a white flag when trying to run anything over 270 htt 1:1 even with another .05v shoved up the hypertransports butt. I'm stuck with a divider which is a shame since this ram's brilliant.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom