2005/2006 F1 News and Testing.

Man of Honour
OP
Alonso signing not good for Kimi says Lauda

In an interview with the German press, former F1 world champion, Nikki Lauda has given his opinion on the new mega deal between 2005 world champion Fernando Alonso and the Mercedes powered McLaren team that will kick off in January of 2007.

According to the Austrian, while McLaren boss Ron Dennis did the right thing by grabbing the best young talent on the market, he also did the wrong thing in regard to his other protégé, Kimi Raikkonen.

Speaking in the Bild, Lauda explained that the move will only demoralize Kimi, who was forced to settle for second best behind Alonso this season…

"If we have a chance, we have to grab it. He's the best from the young guys," he said. "But McLaren has done everything wrong. Dennis, who did this deal on his own, has forgotten that people have emotions, they are not machines. The timing is a catastrophe. How do you think Raikkonen will feel now he knows that a guy like Alonso is on his way? He will not extend his contract, that’s for sure."

Man of Honour
OP
Reuters sticks with Williams

Williams has renewed its sponsorship deal with the Reuters news agency.

The two companies have been partners since the beginning of the BMW Williams era, which came to an end in 2005 after the German car-maker announced its decision to start its own team.

Reuters branding will feature on the new FW28 cars and personnel clothing.

“We have enjoyed the fruits of a strong relationship with the WilliamsF1 Team over the last six years, and believe that longevity is important to maximise our return from Formula One," said Reuters' Sholto Douglas-Home.”

WilliamsF1’s team principal Frank Williams added: “For the team to extend its relationship with such a prestigious market leader in an increasingly competitive market is a true statement of their commitment to Williams and we look forward to our continued alliance.”

Man of Honour
Aguri secure support of all teams
The Super Aguri team have secured the required unanimous approval of their rival teams to re-lodge their application for next year's Formula One World Championship, as was predicted by autosport.com yesterday.

Having got the approval, the Japanese team will now re-apply to the FIA to be allowed to compete next season as work continues at their Leafield base on their 2006 challenger.

Team boss Aguri Suzuki said: "I am very happy to be able to announce that all 10 F1 teams have approved our late entry to the Formula One World Championship today.

"I would like to thank all of the teams for approving our late entry and assure them that the Super Aguri F1 team will cooperate and do our best to reach your expectations. We appreciate your support and we will not let you down."

The Aguri team have faced an anxious few weeks trying to secure the approval of the other teams, with the main hurdle being in convincing the Midland Racing outfit that they had nothing to fear by supporting the new team's entry.

There had been concerns that if Aguri beat Midland in the constructors' championship next year, then it could cost the team many millions of pounds in television rights income and travel subsidies.

Providing Aguri's application is now accepted by the FIA, they are expected to use updated versions of the Arrows A23 chassis for the first few races of the season before they unveil their definitive 2006 challenger at the San Marino Grand Prix.

Daniele Audetto, Managing Director of Super Aguri said: "I am very proud to be part of the new Super Aguri F1 team. We are looking forward to joining the F1 grid for 2006 in Bahrain and to becoming increasingly competitive as the season progresses.

"Of course we do not expect to be on the pace straight away; we will use the first GPs to train the team before our definitive car reaches the track."

Good news that they'll be able to re-apply, it's another two seats for folk too. I'm going to chuck my hat in the ring and go for Sato / Davidson but, as usual, I expect to be proven wrong in the fullness of time.

Man of Honour
OP
I'd go with Sato/Davidson as well.

Although with Wurz looking for a job he may get a look in - although with his size it may be an issue.

Will be nice to see 22 cars on the grid again. Would be better with 35 and pre-qualifying to get them down to 26...

Simon/~Flibscrooge

Man of Honour
OP
And just to confuse the hell out of everyone...

2008 FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP REGULATIONS

At the beginning of 2005 the FIA began a consultation on the regulations for the 2008 FIA Formula One World Championship. All the sport’s stakeholders were given the opportunity to participate in the process including more than 90,000 fans from 180 countries worldwide.

The FIA’s objective in drafting the 2008 regulations has been to reduce significantly the cost of competing in Formula One. The rules must discourage financial profligacy and ensure than an independent team with ordinary commercial sponsorship (ie a budget in the order of $100 million - still a vast sum of money in the real world) can compete with a car manufacturer prepared to spend in excess of US$300 million. The FIA believes current manufacturers’ budgets are unsustainable and are putting the whole of Formula One at risk.

Max Mosley, FIA President said,

"The real argument in Formula One is not about sports governance or even about how much money FOM gives the teams. It's all about costs.

“The World Championship must remain financially viable for independent teams. Against this, two (possibly three) manufacturers want to win by spending unlimited amounts of money. This approach has caused great damage to motor sport, most recently to IRL in America. We don't want it in F1.

“One manufacturer is spending a sum greater than half its total annual dividend. This is unsustainable and sooner or later the shareholders will notice."

Part of the attempt to reduce costs involves rules which allow independent suppliers to provide competitive engines at reasonable cost. The alternative approach - that car manufacturers should supply engines to independent teams - has failed. A written promise to do so was given by a manufacturer in 2003. It was not kept. Nor was a subsequent undertaking to make affordable engines available in return for concessions on traction control.

It must not be forgotten that the new engine rules (introduced by the FIA to cut power) were originally drawn up and proposed by the car manufacturers to reduce costs. Although some of these manufacturers now claim that costs have risen, it has become clear that for a properly managed engine supplier, costs have fallen substantially.

As previously explained the FIA is required to publish the 2008 Technical Regulations before December 31, 2005. These regulations are now available for download from www.fia.com. The following is a summary of the main changes:

New technologies which give a team an advantage for one season but which are then adopted by all teams for subsequent seasons at significant expense will be banned after the end of the first season (Article 2.5).

Reason:
To reduce costs. This allows a team which discovers a new technology to benefit from it, but prevents Formula One as a whole then spending money on the same technology only to leave all the teams in exactly the same (relative) positions as before.

The rear wing is split in two.

Reason:
Research indicates that this will produce a wake in which the car behind will perform much better, thus facilitating overtaking.

Changes to the bodywork regulations to reduce downforce while maintaining drag levels so as to avoid an increase in cornering speeds over 2006 levels (Article 3).

Reason:
Safety

Changes to the bodywork regulations at the front of the car to make the car behave better in traffic (Article 3).

Reason:
To facilitate overtaking.

Limitations on possible “interesting” areas of aerodynamic research (Article 3).

Reason:
To reduce costs.

The minimum weight is reduced from 605 to 550kg (Article 4).

Reason:
To eliminate the cost of purchasing 55kg of very expensive high density ballast for each car and transporting it all over the world. Cars will also be safer without this extra weight.

Engine to be subject to a rev limit of 19,000 rpm, with a possible increase to 20,000 rpm in consultation with the competing teams (Article 5.1.3).

Reason:
To reduce costs and to redirect engine research towards road-relevant technologies.

A standard electronic control unit for engine and gearbox to be used at all times in Formula One (Article 8.2).

Reason:
To reduce costs, eliminate driver aids such as traction control and allow the FIA to check engine use and testing mileage.

Gear ratios to have a minimum thickness of 12mm (Article 9.3.3).

Reason:
To reduce costs by making gearboxes more robust.

Tyre pressures may be adjusted by the driver while the car is moving (Article 12.5).

Reason:
Safety, particularly during safety car periods.

Maximum wheel diameter increased to 640mm front and 710mm rear, with maximum widths of 365mm front and 460mm rear (Article 12.4) with slick tyres.

Reason:
To increase “mechanical” grip to compensate for reduced aerodynamic downforce to facilitate overtaking.

Only permitted materials may be used to construct the car (Article 15.1).

Reason:
To reduce costs.

At least 5.75% (m/m) of fuel must be from biological sources (Article 19.4.5).

Reason:
To keep ahead of developments in fuel for road cars.

2009:From 2009 each team may make only two changes of bodywork after the start of the season (Article 3.15).

Reason:
To reduce costs.

It is intended to allow systems for energy storage and recovery (hybrid systems) from 2009, provided this can be done without causing budgetary difficulties for any of the competing teams.

In addition to the proposed 2008 Technical Regulations it is intended to make changes to the Formula One Sporting Regulations for 2008. These will be submitted to the World Motor Sport Council on March 22, 2006 and will include:

- arrangements for a single tyre supplier in 2008;
- three - Event engines;
- four - Event transmissions;
- weight penalties for early replacement of engine or gearbox;
- testing restrictions;
- a limit of two cars per team at an Event;
- the date for the opening and closing of entries for 2008.

It is not intended to renew the Concorde Agreement provisions which prevent teams selling components or complete chassis to other competitors. It is proposed to allow an entirely free market in this area.

Will comment on this later once I've read the full document...

Simon/~Flibscrooge

Man of Honour
OP
V8 makes F1 'boring' - Webber

V8 engines have made formula one 'boring' for the drivers, Australia's Mark Webber says. The Williams pilot, who recently tested the new Cosworth engine in Spain, told Eurosport that corners like Eau Rouge (Spa) and 130R (Suzuka) will be 'easier' with reduced power.

"That's what's boring about it now," Mark explained in the interview. "We've got so much grip compared to the power that the corners won't be demanding."
And while Webber, 29, thinks the lower top speeds are good for safety, it also means that braking distances are shorter -- and that's not good for passing.

Soldato
Maximum wheel diameter increased to 640mm front and 710mm rear, with maximum widths of 365mm front and 460mm rear (Article 12.4) with slick tyres.

That's some phat rims (25" front 28" rear). Talk about one extreme to the other. Is chrome going to be on the allowable materials list :p

Man of Honour
OP
Mansell sticks his oar in.

I have to say I was very surprised at the news that Fernando Alonso would be joining McLaren in 2007.

To do a deal a whole year in advance could be very counter-productive, especially when he is defending a world championship.

I dare say this was a financial decision for Alonso, but it is a brave one too because I’m a big Adrian Newey fan and obviously he has just left McLaren.

I hope for Fernando’s sake that McLaren have got someone capable of filling Adrian’s shoes.

Destabilising

For me, the most interesting part of this story is who he will replace at McLaren.

McLaren may be enjoying the kudos of signing a reigning world champion and destabilising one of their biggest rivals in Renault but, to a certain extent, they are hurting themselves as well.

Is whoever will make way for Alonso going to be happy? I can tell you no. And that means they won’t be doing the best possible job they can for McLaren in 2006.

The team may claim they have not decided who will partner Alonso, but I don’t believe that – I reckon McLaren know exactly who’ll be there and who won’t in 2007.

Some people will take this to mean that Kimi Raikkonen is off to Ferrari. But there are all sorts of stories flying around at the moment. You might as well put out a rumour that I’m considering a return to Ferrari!

Other fans will be getting excited about the possibility of a Raikkonen/Alonso dream team in 2007, but they shouldn’t write off Juan Pablo Montoya.

I rate Montoya. He has blown Raikkonen into the weeds on a few occasions this season. Don’t lose sight of that.

Pivotal

I do think that McLaren have got to prove themselves now. 2006 will be a pivotal year for them.

You’ve got to build on momentum. McLaren had the fastest car by a mile at the end of this last year so everything should be in place for them to dominate in 2006.

If they don’t win the title next year then they will have an even tougher time trying to win it in 2007.

So where does this leave Renault? And how will it affect the way they treat Alonso in 2006?

In my experience, Renault are as honourable as any manufacturer.

They are very proud to have won the world championship and they’ll want to defend it. Alonso represents their best chance of doing that.

But of course it depends on the circumstances. If he and Giancarlo Fisichella are even stevens in the championship with a few rounds to go, then don’t be surprised if Fisi gets the better engine and the better support. That’s just common sense.

Questions

There are also question marks over Renault’s F1 future because their president, Carlos Ghosn, does not believe the sport represents value for money.

It is within the realms of possibility that Renault could say “We’ve had enough. We’re going to go and have a rest.” They have done that before so they could do it again.

At the end of the day, I wish Fernando all the best for 2006. I hope he is able to defend the championship in the manner he won it.

It is up to him who he drives for, and obviously he sees his future with McLaren.

Good luck to him.

Man of Honour
OP
Max - Breakaway threat empty

FIA president Max Mosley has rubbished the concept that F1 will split into two separate championships in 2008.

He hinted that the threat of BMW, Mercedes, Renault, Honda and Toyota is an empty one, and that the sport's 'real argument' is not about money but 'costs'.

''One manufacturer is spending a sum greater than half its total annual dividend (on formula one),'' the Briton said on Wednesday.

''This is unsustainable and sooner or later the (carmaker's) shareholders will notice.''

It is against this backdrop that Mosley made no apology for radically changing the rules for 2008, despite the danger that five manufacturers' exit poses.

The carmakers' breakaway union is called 'GPMA'.

''Of those five (carmakers),'' Max predicted in the British Guardian newspaper, ''two will probably stop their formula one programmes and the other three will come and join us in the FIA championship.''

He also attacked the carmakers for failing to supply affordable engines to smaller teams, and then breaking a promise to the FIA to exchange traction control for concessions to small teams.

Man of Honour
OP
Raikkonen: No Ferrari deal
F1's Finn Kimi Raikkonen has once again denied speculation that a swap to Ferrari in '07 is already signed and sealed.

It is claimed that some sort of document linking the 26-year-old McLaren driver to Maranello exists, dependent only on Michael Schumacher's future beyond next year.

''My own situation is still the same -- nothing has been agreed regarding the future,'' Raikkonen said on Wednesday.

The latest round of gossip follows world champion Alonso's bombshell 2007 contract at McLaren, and the fact that Raikkonen's Woking deal runs out - like Schumacher's at Ferrari - at the end of 2006.

'Iceman' Kimi added: ''I'm focusing on the new season and will make decisions next year.''

Man of Honour
OP
Sato at front of queue - Aguri Suzuki

F1's newest team principal, Aguri Suzuki, has admitted that Takuma Sato is at the front of the queue for a race ride next year.

Speculation says the Leafield based outfit, which won the agreement of every rival to make a late FIA entry on Wednesday, garnered Honda's 2006 backing - including sponsorship and V8 engines - mainly due to the backlash surrounding the dismissal of the Japanese driver.

'I have been speaking with Takuma,' Suzuki told the Italian 'F1grandprix' website, 'but I cannot say anything about the other (race) driver yet.'

Names linked with the vacant ride include Honda's Anthony Davidson and Adam Carroll, but also another Japanese driver, Kosuke Matsuura.

Aguri said: 'I think they all are talented.'

The Japanese, who raced in 88 grands prix and even scored a podium, also confirmed that 60 or 70 people are already working for the team, although sources say the final count before Bahrain will be 100.

Man of Honour
OP
Mosley 'sure' Aguri will race in 2006

With the signatures of all ten F1 rivals in its pocket, 'Super Aguri' has one final hurdle to clear before a Bahraini debut is certain - FIA clearance.

But we can reveal that the governing body has now received the $48 million entry deposit, and that the hold-up was anti-money laundering legislation that delayed the transfer from Japan to France.

In addition, FIA president Max Mosley told a German publication on Wednesday that he saw no more real obstacles to Aguri's grand prix debut.

'I am sure that in 2005, eleven teams will make the start,' he was quoted as saying by 'Auto, Motor und Sport'.

Man of Honour
OP
Hockenheim sale to 'save' German GP

Following news that Hockenheim had been put up for sale, it is suggested this week that the German grand prix has now been saved.

A lack of funds will be made up by the partial sale of the redeveloped Hockenheimring in south western Germany, home of the country's F1 race.

According to reports in Germany, much of the new part of the circuit - redeveloped in 2001 and 2002 into a Hermann Tilke design - and the Mercedes-Benz grandstand, are on the verge of being sold to a leasing company. The F1 promoter will then rent the venue year-on-year.

A final contract is expected to be signed by the end of January '06.

According to the initial reports of about a month ago, the plan was to sell the circuit for around $30m and rent it for $2m a year.

Soldato
Glad to hear Super Aguri are nearly there now :)

A new team is going to be good for a sport that has been losing competitors, hopefully it will spark off some more people to jon, even if they are manufacturer b squads!

Man of Honour
OP
/\/\j17 said:
Great, I mean the LAST thing we want is to loose one of the German GP's. How WOULD we live without 2 of them...

But one of thems the European GP - so it's for alll of Europe. ;)

Simon/~Flibscrooge

Man of Honour
OP
Thereafter changes to these or to the sporting regulations which, in the opinion of the FIA Technical Department, involve significant change to the design of a car, will be announced no later than 30 June to come into force for the next season but one. Changes needed for safety reasons may be introduced with shorter notice in consultation with the currently competing teams.

A sensible one to start with - of they change the rules in 2010 - they will come into effect in 2012

Fairynuff

Novel technologies
Any novel technology not specifically covered by these regulations, but which is deemed permissible by the FIA Formula One Technical Department, will be only be admitted until the end of the Championship during which it is introduced. Following this the Formula One Commission will be asked to review the technology concerned and, if they feel it adds no value to Formula One in general, it will be specifically prohibited.

Any team whose technology is prohibited in this way will then be required to publish full technical details of the relevant system or procedure.

Let the sillyness begin!

So - someone comes up with a new idea which is allowed can race it for the year.

At the end of the year if it is deemed to be too competitive or too expensive or adds 'no value' *whatever that means* to F1 will be banned AND the team has to publish full technical details about it?

WTF!

How to kill innovation in 1 stroke there.

Notwithstanding the requirements of the text contained within Article 3 below, no car may generate downforce in excess of 12500N at any time.
One of the purposes of these rules is to ensure that bodywork creates a wake when the car is moving which assists the following car. Any arrangement the purpose or effect of which is to reduce or defeat this will not be permitted.

So..all cars must produce a maximim of 12500N and must produce a wake. Well - they do at the moment - doesn't help though.

And you're not allowed to try and get round it at all...there goes more innovation *waves byebye*

With the exception of cameras or dummy cameras approved by the FIA, no closed aerofoil section may be contained within any longitudinal vertical cross section taken parallel to the car centre line and between points 350mm forward of the front wheel centre line and 315mm rearward of the rear wheel centre line.

I think that means - no flip ups, winglets or any other oddities

Subject to any variations carried out in accordance with the FIA 2008 Formula One Sporting Regulations, the weight of the car must not be less than 550kg at all times during the Event.

No comment...just interesting.

Crankshaft rotational speed must not exceed 19,000rpm [This figure may be increased to 20,000rpm in
consultation with the competing teams].

Riiiiggghhhttt.....

8.2.1 All components of the engine and gearbox, including clutch, differential and all associated actuators must be controlled by an Electronic Control Unit (ECU) which has been manufactured by an FIA designated supplier to a specification determined by the FIA.

The ECU may only be used with FIA approved software and may only be connected to the control system
wiring loom, sensors and actuators in an manner specified by the FIA.

8.2.2 All control sensors, actuators and FIA monitoring sensors will be specified and homologated by the FIA. Each and every component of the control system will be sealed and uniquely identified and their identities tracked through their life cycle.

These components and units may not be disassembled or modified in any way and seals and identifiers
must remain intact and legible.

8.2.3 The control system wiring loom connectivity will be specified by the FIA.

8.2.4 Pneumatic valve pressure may only be controlled via a passive mechanical regulator or from the ECU and its operation will be monitored by the ECU.

8.2.5 The car hydraulic system will be monitored by the ECU.

8.2.6 The ECU will be designed to run from a car system supply voltage of 12V nominal provided by a
homologated voltage regulator.

All this will be specified by the FIA and you can not do a damn thing about it boyo...

9.4.2 No forward gear ratio may be less than 12mm wide when measured across the gear tooth driven flanks.

9.4.3 Gear ratios must be made from steel.

More "cost cutting" and increased lifespan...won't work you know..

Any change to, or modulation of, the tyre pressures whilst the car is moving must be made at a rate not exceeding 0.15bar per minute, may not be pre-set and must be made by the driver and be under his
complete control at all times.

So the driver can screw up the tyres by running them under or over pressure - or in the event of a system failure - rock solid or flat..

All tyres must be used as supplied by the manufacturer, any modification or treatment such as cutting, grooving, the application of solvents or softeners, the fitting of heat retaining devices or pre-heating is prohibited. This applies to dry, wet and extreme-weather tyres.

Increasing safety...

Not allowed to heat tyres?

Increasing safety...

If, in the opinion of the appointed tyre supplier and FIA technical delegate, the nominated tyre specification proves to be technically unsuitable, the stewards may authorise the use of additional tyres to a different specification.

Ok - sensible.

If, in the interests of maintaining current levels of circuit safety, the FIA deems it necessary to reduce tyre grip, it shall introduce such rules as the tyre supplier may advise or, in the absence of advice which achieves the FIA's objectives, specify the maximum permissible contact areas for front and rear tyres.

We reserve the right to change your tyre grip in the middle of a season

A minimum of 5.75% (m/m) of the fuel must comprise oxygenates derived from biological sources. The
percentage that each component is considered to originate from a biological source is calculated from the relative proportion of the molecular weight contributed by the biological starting material.

Biological fuel...like...

...oil?

After the start of the first Event of the Championship no team will be permitted to make more than
two changes to the shape of the external bodywork. Minor modifications to overcome specific
problems, such as enlargement of engine cooling apertures, will be permitted provided it is clear
that the change is insignificant and restricted to the stated purpose.

If you're car is an aerodynamic turkey - tough. Unless you can fix it in 2 updates you're stuffed.

Below are not official yet - will be submitted for approval to the Motorsports council on march 22nd

The title of Formula One World Champion Constructor will be awarded to the make which has scored the highest number of points, results from such constructor’s two nominated cars being taken into account.

Preparing for 3 car teams - no longer saying results for BOTH cars being taken into account

Hmmm...

Expecting some teams to disapear from F1??

No competitor may carry out more than 30000km of testing during a calendar year.

So - distance not days *Ferrari...You paying attention?*

Each competitor may have no more than two cars available for use at any one time during an Event. Any partially assembled survival cell will be deemed to be a car in this context if it fitted with an engine, any front suspension, bodywork, radiators, oil tanks or heat exchangers.

No T-cars then

Plus - if you total your car - instad of having part built chassis's ready to finially asemble - they've have to build it up form parts.

Also - doesn't this play against the possibility of 3 car teams? As seem to be hinted at above?

Each driver may use no more than one engine for three consecutive Events in which his team
competes. Should an engine change be carried out any drivers concerned will be required to comply with a minimum weight limit 15kg higher than stated in Article 4.1 of the 2008 FIA Formula One Technical Regulations at that Event for each change that takes place. Unless the driver fails to finish the race (see below) the engine fitted to the car at the end of the Event must remain in it for two further Events

Any driver who failed to finish the race at the first or second of the three Events for reasons beyond the control of the team or driver, may start the following Event with a
different engine without a penalty being incurred.
So - engine blows up - here...have another 15kg in weight

Great...

If, having completed three Events with one engine a driver chooses to use it for a fourth consecutive Event, he will be permitted to comply with a minimum weight limit 10kg lower than stated in Article 4.1 of the 2008 FIA Formula One Technical Regulations at the fourth Event.

So - run 4 races with the same engine and get a lower weight limit? How does this decrease budgets - they'll spend more on getting the engine reliable in the dyno rooms...

Each driver may use no more than one gearbox for four consecutive Events in which his team
competes. Should a gearbox change be carried out any drivers concerned will be required to comply
with a minimum weight limit 15kg higher than stated in Article 4.1 of the 2008 FIA Formula One
Technical Regulations at that Event for each change that takes place. Unless the driver fails to finish the race (see below) the gearbox fitted to the car at the end of the Event must remain in it for three further Events. Any driver who failed to finish the race at the first, second or third of the four Events for reasons beyond the control of the team or driver, may start the following Event with a different gearbox without a penalty being incurred.

Crash backwards and total engine + gearbox = 30kg of extra weight...

Man of Honour
OP
Mosley: Qualifying confusing

FIA president Max Mosley has voiced concerns that the new qualifying system to be adopted in Formula 1 next season will confuse the public.

In place of the current single-car format there will be two 15-minute knock-out stints, each eliminating five drivers, followed by a 20-minute shoot-out for pole between the surviving contenders.

There will also be different rules regarding the fuel drivers must carry into Sunday’s race depending on where they qualify.

“The qualifying system for the races in 2006 is going to be very tough to understand,” Mosley told French sports daily L’Equipe.

“I think that the public is going to be just like me when I watch an American football game: I can watch it; it's a great show. But I don't have the slightest idea about what's happening.

“It’s very annoying.

“I know that qualification based on the fastest lap wasn't much fun for the public in the stands.

“But on television it was really good. You knew exactly what was going on.”

The new knock-out format will be the seventh different qualifying system in F1 in the space of five years.

“At least the public will know who is the fastest driver as the times will appear on a board,” Mosley conceded.

Back
Top Bottom