Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 16th December 2005

Soldato
OP
Trick said:
Wireless?
well the long term plan is to get the machines out of home anyway as i don't like them being so far away with no real way of watching over them - i will hopefully be able to sell them as complete machines and help fund a mighty X2 beast :)

i was just miffed that i was at home last weekend and wasn't told that the move would be taking place so soon - there will be a part completed WU sitting on that machine till i can get home again now :mad:

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
That's me added another 2 rigs.

I was having difficulty finding an S478 P4 to replace the Prescott I broke, so I decided to scrap that plan altogether and replaced motherboard and CPU for a 3500+ with 1GB of the Corsair XL I bought for the 4000+ rig.

I also went and bought a new laptop this morning as the old one wasn't responding to my ministrations (I haven't given up yet but it's high time I had a new one anyway) so this 1.7GHz Pentium M is now folding as well (it'll be coming offshore with me so output won't be great a lot of the time but every little helps) :D

Stan :)

Associate
Just got my Opty back on line running F@H, and I'm trying to get my XP1700 (at 2GHz) to run it now.

Edit: Hmm, I'm running Client 504 (beta) on the linux box and on my Opty. Weird thing is, I'm crunching the same WU on both? WTF.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
are you sure it's the exact same WU on both?
it can have the same Project Number (eg p1465) but if any of the Run/Clone/Gen numbers differ between the two then it's actually a different WU

Stan - good to hear you're a rig or two back up - bit of an expensive month for you though :eek:

my brother has really come through too - he's found an old 10BaseT hub and managed to wire it all up so both my machines have connections again :)
he also claims that his internet connection seems a lot more responsive now - though neither of us can see a good reason for that as if anything you'd expect the old hub to slow the system down a bit :confused:

ah well - friday tomorrow and last day at work for a little while - hurrah!!! :D

Soldato
OP
(BoG) Napalm said:
Hmm, I guess it isn't the exact same WU. Just seemed funky. Same amount of points for each one though?
it just depends really where the assignment server sends you at the time, if you download two WUs at the same time to two clients with exactly the same setup then you're more likely to pick up similar WUs

i'm guessing you managed to sort out the communications problem earlier - was it instability or something else?

edit: points are the same for every WU from the same project - you can see a list of all the projects and their related credit here

Associate
Ah ok, thanks.

Instability... well I downloaded the beta version of the client (not 502 as the finstall script uses) and it's working.

That box (XP1700 at 2GHz) was prime stable for 10+hours, which is what confused me when F@H crapped out. But it didn't give me the usual "Failed to complete..." stuff.

Oh well *shrugs*. Looks like I'll be dumping about 480 points tonight :D

Back
Top Bottom