Distributed Computing, what do you want me to do !

Soldato
Riteo,

Where are OCUK's resources primarily being directed at the moment...

I currently have

Running Windows XP
AMD64 3000+ Winchester @ 2.7 ghz, 2 gig G-Skill Ram, Nforce 4 (my PC)
AMD 2500+ Barton @ 2.2 ghz, 1 gig Twinmoss, Nforce 2 (dads PC)
[email protected] ghz, 768mb samsung, KT333 (brothers PC
XP2200@Stock, 512mb unbranded, nforce2 (file server)

Running Smoothwall
AMD 1.4 tbird @ stock, 768mb pqi, KT133a

all sat, on 24/7, doing nothing... nearly 10 ghz worth of processing power ! and over 5 gigs worth of memory !

I used to do seti, but that stopped a while back iirc? what do you guys want me to sign up for and start doing? ideally something that is automated drops and pickups for units, so I can install it on all the pc's and leave it :)

does anyone know if the client you ask me to do will run on smoothwall at all? seems a shame to leave that tbird doing nothing ;)

willing to set it all up today and get crunching ! :D

Man of Honour
There are basically two main camps, Boinc and F@H, depends which sandpit you want to play in really.

If you liked seti, its now moved over to Boinc, and along with Seti there are other projects you can setup to run on Boinc as well. You can actually run multiple projects on the one system on the one piece of software. Boinc will handle the alocation of resources on the machine it is installed on for the projects you want to run.

Folding@Home is a single project, its very popular, not my cup of tea but each to his own. Someone will be along shortly to wax lyrical about it :)

Both can be installed as a service on the machine it runs on, both can be transparent with no input required after they have been setup.

Soldato
OP
I went for BOINC in the end.

Restarting on the seti project, wish me luck ! :D

should also point out, im still part of the OCUK team so watch out ! ;)

My details are : -

232) kore 21,414.54 0.00 United Kingdom

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
babyface uk said:
With those pc's you should be able to give out some major stompage,

keep em cruching,

Babyface UK

hehe :)

has anyone managed to get boincto work on smoothwall? id be interested in giving that a go ;) :D

Associate
I haven't used or researched this but, Smoothwall looks to be nothing more than a Linux port for VPN's or Routers, etc. The Boinc application for Linux is already in a binary state so no compilation is necessary. I don't see why the Binary wouldn't run on it, just follow the Linux installation instructions and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
KE1HA said:
I haven't used or researched this but, Smoothwall looks to be nothing more than a Linux port for VPN's or Routers, etc. The Boinc application for Linux is already in a binary state so no compilation is necessary. I don't see why the Binary wouldn't run on it, just follow the Linux installation instructions and see how it goes.
ok will give it a go... there is no GUI though, just a command line.. still think it will work? :p

Man of Honour
Soldato
With all that memory I'd say that FAH is a better fit for you. None of your old SETI credit will transfer over so it's a fresh start with either project.

I'm going out on a limb here but if you liked the old SETi command-line interface, you'll probably find yourself more at home with us foldy types. :D

Associate
Conanius said:
ok will give it a go... there is no GUI though, just a command line.. still think it will work? :p
Biffa said:
I'd say running anything on a gateway appliance esp a firewall is not a good idea

I have one of my Dual XEON's running Seti-Boinc and it's all xterm as I didn't load X on the system, should have no trouble with the command line install.

As for Smoothwall, as Biffa said, if it's a firewall / router etc, probably not a good idea and I'd agree with that as well. But doent' hurt to test it to see how things progress and if your not using it as intended let it keep going.

I'd think about running the following combination:

F@H on the following:
AMD64 3000+ Winchester @ 2.7 ghz, 2 gig G-Skill Ram, Nforce 4
AMD 2500+ Barton @ 2.2 ghz, 1 gig Twinmoss, Nforce 2

And Boinc < Seti or whatever, there's several Boinc DC projects > on:
[email protected] ghz, 768mb samsung, KT333
XP2200@Stock, 512mb unbranded, nforce2

Man of Honour
BillytheImpaler said:
I'm going out on a limb here but if you liked the old SETi command-line interface, you'll probably find yourself more at home with us foldy types. :D

This has to be the worst reason I've ever heard, even when we were running seti CLI "liking it" wasn't a plus point, damn I shoved the thing into a service as soon as I could so I couldnt even see it.

Boinc and the seti project clients are just like that, invisible, on all the machines I have there isnt even the boinc GUI on the machine, you don't need it for BOINC or the projects.

Back
Top Bottom