Distributed Computing, what do you want me to do !

Soldato
malfunkshun said:
"Fancy a spot of BOINCing?" has a nice ring to it, as where "fancy some folding?" sounds like laundry duty. I rest my case

Ah but if you fold, you can say that you are 'in the fold' and have 'returned to the fold' if you've been slacking.

Which is totally the coolest play on words ever.

Associate
I think it is a pity that OcUK as a team are no longer focused on a single project. It means that we're not going to get number one spots. Back in the day, everybody ran SETI and we got an excellent rank. We're losing that on BOINC and we're not big enough to compete with the best on F@H. We can't have high ranks on both.

I also don't understand what the folding obsession is. I'd much rather run Rosetta@Home.

Has there been any thoughts or discussion with regards to picking a new main project for the team? Something fairly young so there are no mountains to climb, but something everybody would get behind.

Just something I thought of.

Man of Honour
Thats the same for all the teams surely? :)

We are still #2 in seti@boinc, but DC is bigger as a whole and attracts more players, we are in the end quite a small team, and without MoS and our other older big hitters not really as competetive as we were in the old days.

Soldato
OP
well, dare I risk saying it, why dont we all agree on doing 1 project and really owning it up :D

if you take a look at my progress, starting to do quite nicely :)

Soldato
Biggles 266 said:
I also don't understand what the folding obsession is. I'd much rather run Rosetta@Home.

To me, Rosetta is just another boring BOINC project, with an uninspiring credit system and no real community here to keep the interest levels up. Whilst I enjoy supporting the science I mainly crunch for the enjoyment, the stats and the team spirit. That's where I feel BOINC is a let-down.

Soldato
Agreed with Mattus, Folding definately has a certain 'feeling' to it and the sense of comaradarie amongst Team10 is nice to be a part of. Most importantly for me though is the work which all our Folding Woos go towards, particularly cancer research.

Soldato
OP
Trick said:
Agreed with Mattus, Folding definately has a certain 'feeling' to it and the sense of comaradarie amongst Team10 is nice to be a part of. Most importantly for me though is the work which all our Folding Woos go towards, particularly cancer research.

folding @ home is cancer research? ill be changing all the machines to that from boinc s@h tonight.

Soldato
Conanius said:
folding @ home is cancer research? ill be changing all the machines to that from boinc s@h tonight.
it's not all Cancer Research - however it has recently been getting more into that field

for more information check the links in my sig - plenty of info on the main Folding@Home site which should answer most questions far better than i could hope to do

Associate
Hello! Long time overclockers buyer, 1st time forum user.

I've never really seen the point of SETI. I mean even if we did discover some alien signal, the planet would be dead by the time a signal we sent back would get there.

I'm a united devices cancer cruncher for Oxford Uni. A much more worthwhile use of clock cycles imo.

Back
Top Bottom