New to DC.. How can I help?

Man of Honour
OP
i've got 3 services running? I did run the the .exe from the console folder?

EDIT: Have you set up the client by right clicking in the upper left frame. This has to be done so FahMon knows where the fahlog.txt file lives.

:confused:

Man of Honour
OP
both really..

Firstly, do i need to click on the console.exe each time i log in.. Only when the system started, i got nothing except one service.. but noting else??
so i clicked on the .exe.. then a DOS box came up.. but thee are now 3 services running.

As for FahMon, i've downloaded and ran but nothing - i'm confused as to what you mean by "Have you set up the client by right clicking in the upper left frame. This has to be done so FahMon knows where the fahlog.txt file lives."

Sorry to be a pain.

Soldato
I suspect you are running the clients both using the service and by clicking the EXE. This is not good as they will conflict with each other and slow down work. The service should be the only client running. One of the great things about the service is that you shouldn't have any DOS boxes while the client is running.

Open up Task Manager and find the FAH502-Console.exe processes. Look in the user name column (if you don't have the user name column go to View > Select Columns and turn it on.) If a client was started by the service, it should have SYSTEM in the user name column. If it was started separately by you, it should have your username.

What do you have?

Man of Honour
Soldato
When all your FAH installations are up and running execute FahMon from any direcotry, it does not have to be the same one as the FAH one. When you're at the main FahMon window right click in the upper left frame and click "Add a new client". Name the client (it can be anything) and browse to the location of the console. It should now load up when you click on the entry for that client. It's not exciting to watch as it moves through the work very slowly. It's just to see what it's doing; it's not entertainment.

Also, what machine is this that you've got 3 consoles running? If it's a Hyperthreaded Xeon box like mine you'll discover that if you allow -advmethos for all of then it hurts performance by saturating the system bus talking to the RAM. Also be sure to keep each console in a SEPARATE directory. Otherwise it gets confused looking for work files and will fail to work. You must also have a unique Machine ID number for each console or only one will run. I use one through 4 but you can use anything you want just as long as a number is not duplicated in the same system.

Oh, and you're not being a pain, we love to do this sort of stuff (at least I do).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Mattus said:
I suspect you are running the clients both using the service and by clicking the EXE. This is not good as they will conflict with each other and slow down work. The service should be the only client running. One of the great things about the service is that you shouldn't have any DOS boxes while the client is running.

Open up Task Manager and find the FAH502-Console.exe processes. Look in the user name column (if you don't have the user name column go to View > Select Columns and turn it on.) If a client was started by the service, it should have SYSTEM in the user name column. If it was started separately by you, it should have your username.

What do you have?

I have

FAH502_console.exe - Paul

FahCore_78 Paul - 50% CPU

FahCore_78 System - 50% CPU

Man of Honour
OP
BillytheImpaler said:
When all your FAH installations are up and running execute FahMon from any direcotry, it does not have to be the same one as the FAH one. When you're at the main FahMon window right click in the upper left frame and click "Add a new client". Name the client (it can be anything) and browse to the location of the console. It should now load up when you click on the entry for that client. It's not exciting to watch as it moves through the work very slowly. It's just to see what it's doing; it's not entertainment.

ok - got that.. it's pointing to the work directory - Comes up with a little red box.. No estimate.

Man of Honour
Soldato
How many times did you run and set up the console? One is running as a system service and the other is running locally. If they're actualloy both the same program (the smae file being executed) it won't work. If you want another client so that both CPUs get used, you'll have to copy FAH502_console.exe to a DIFFERENT directory and configure it again. It's the same deal as before, just in a different spot. Once that's done exit out of all the console windows and open up services.msc. FInd the FAH entry(ies) and click Start. That should push the CPU to 100%

EDIT: If the console has just started a WU FahMon won't be able to predict when it'll be done. Give it a bit of time to establish a pattern.

Soldato
Mr Huddy said:
I have

FahCore_78 Paul - 50% CPU

FahCore_78 System - 50% CPU

OK... as you have a dual-processor machine, two FahCore_78s taking 50% CPU each is what you should have. But it looks like one of them is being started by the service and the other directly through a DOS box. What you need is two separate services running.

I don't have any experience with setting that up as I don't have a dual-CPU system, but you may be able to help, Billy? I suspect you can create the second service just like you did the first, except with the client in a different folder.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Mattus said:
I suspect you can create the second service just like you did the first, except with the client in a different folder.

Exactly. For instance, I put the first client in a folder called C:/Fold/1 The second gets a copy of the console in a different folder called C:/Fold/2. To set it up it's exactly the same procedure as setting up one, including the registry edits for things like -forceasm, -verbosity 9, and -advmethods. The only difference is that you must enter the advanced options and change the second installation's Machine ID to some number not equal to 1.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Right.. i'm only trying to run one version (at the moment) but i think the mistake i made was clicking on the .exe in the folding folfer.. therefore the FahCore_78 Paul started.. so i just re boot.. looking at task manager now.. i have:

FAH502-Console - System - 0% CPU

FahCore_78 - System - 50% CPU

System Idle - 50%

Does this look better?

Man of Honour
Soldato
It's very good. Now to use the other CPU you must copy FAH502_console.exe to a different folder (it can be a subfolder of what you're already suing). Run it again, exactly as you did to the first, but in the end change the machine ID to 2. When it finishes with the configuration press Ctrl C to exit the command window. Open up services.msc and start the FAH service there that is not funning. You can then make your batch files to turn on and off the Folding processes.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mr Huddy said:
ok thanks both of you for your help.

No worries... as Billy said, we kinda enjoy it :p

How long do you guys keep your machines on for?

As long as possible :p I try and keep this machine on as close to 24/7 as I can, but it's in my bedroom and sometimes I can't sleep through the noise so I have to turn it off sometimes for a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom