Changing 2405FPW for LCD TV

Soldato
Sold my rig the other day as getting out of PC's for a while...just costing me too much. Have an Xbox 360 and noticed Project Gotham Racing in particular look very aliased on my Dell 2405FPW. I have of course tried 720p, 1080i and messed around with 1:1, aspect, and fill. I am not sure if its the game, or whether the 2405fpw really only outputs 480p like some people or saying. So I was considering selling the 2405fpw and getting something around the same size LCD TV. Only thing is most of the ones I have seen do not support 1080i (1920x1080). Any idea what the Samsing model that was in all the demo kiosks in all stores that were selling 360's ? Is this the recommended model ? I noticed PGR was very jagged looking on that screen also, but maybe it wasnt setup for 720p.

Mud

Mud

Soldato
If its 360 use thats the main catalyst for change you may want to hold off until 360 games come out that implement AA properly (all launch titles missed the boat on this apparently). PGR3 isn't even 720p, its 1024x600. I believe DoA4 and possibly fight night sport much better AA. A HDTV will tend to look better at lower resolutions than a higher resolution screen that is scaling, but is not always the case...many HDTVs scale anyway, 1366x768 and 1280x768 are quite commonplace.

After much deliberation I personally believe the 2405 supports true HD through component.

Associate
I agree with Flanno, the games on the 2405 do seem very jaggy and got my doubts regarding the HD over component issue. I tried it on a 4:3 28" tv and it was so much smoother, admittedly <---spelling? it didnt look anywhere as sharp or crisp in color and brightness though , you cant beat the 2405 for a good picture :)

I too am looking for a 26" sammy for my HD needs, allthough my copy of DOA4 should be thru my door today and that may well decide for me

Soldato
The issue might be that the sharper the image the more the aliasing will be noticed, the reason why you don't really see it on a CRT widescreen TV with RGB is because that is a lower resolution and the blurring is akind of anti-aliasing.

And maybe with the monitor you sit very close to the screen?

A LCD TV is prolly best for the Xbox360 but for computer work like browsing and windows stuff they are not really good due to the low resolution vs screen size.

Soldato
Dutch Guy,

I used the 26" Sammy at 1366*768 (natural res) as a desktop monitor thru vga and it was a pleasure to use, not only as a games monitor but also to browse bbc's and this forum particularly.

Now dont get me wrong of course if you are changing from a 2405 to the 26" sammy then yes there is a huge resolution drop, but to my eyes it still looks very good ( by the by I was moving from a 1905FP" to the Sammy - so that is possibly why)

Anything larger than 26" I personally would think it would be very difficult to use as a desktop monitor from the sheer scale, but 26 at that res was about perfect - and the games SS2 especially looked outstanding

Soldato
FrankJH said:
Dutch Guy,

I used the 26" Sammy at 1366*768 (natural res) as a desktop monitor thru vga and it was a pleasure to use, not only as a games monitor but also to browse bbc's and this forum particularly.

Now dont get me wrong of course if you are changing from a 2405 to the 26" sammy then yes there is a huge resolution drop, but to my eyes it still looks very good ( by the by I was moving from a 1905FP" to the Sammy - so that is possibly why)

Anything larger than 26" I personally would think it would be very difficult to use as a desktop monitor from the sheer scale, but 26 at that res was about perfect - and the games SS2 especially looked outstanding
Fair enough, I have no experience with a LCD TV so it's good to hear you have a positive experience.

Soldato
I am sure someone with better eyes than mine who has used a 2405 would say NO NO NO , but I liked it a lot, just had confirmation I will have £900 to spend in the meteor shop on a new TV next week, so cant wait - unfortunatly due to insurance company I dont have choice of where to go

Soldato
OP
I spent the day going around to shops looking at LCD TV's. Specifically 26" max as that is all I have room for. Only interested in gaming, not actually watching tv and want the best pic for my 360.

Anway a few things I noticed :

1. All LCD TV's even the uber 44" ones only do 720p or slighly higher...no 1080i like my 2405fpw does..unless you want to blow 3k on the just announced Phillips 1080p 37" panel.

2. Looked as the Sammy models in a few games shops, and they were setup for 720p and the jaggies were just as noticable in Gotham as the Dell 2405fpw. The Dell pic looks brighter and just as good if not better image qualityh as well, especially in 1080i.

3. Official Xbox mag this month commented the 2405fpw is superb through component and of course games have yet to use AA effectively. So things should get better. They also mentioned the VGA cable gives slightly better pic then component. Might give that ago, even though I know there will be stretching.

4. Response time...noticed no ghosting on my Dell, but did so some smearing on the Sammy.

5. Dell has no dead or stuck pixels, so I guess there would be an inherent risk if I went down the LCD TV route of getting dead pixels.

Soldato
Have a search in the Console forum, I have seen a thread where someone posted comparison pics on his Dell TFT between Component and VGA, the Component pics looked (to me) a lot better with much more colours and contrast, the VGA pics looked very flat and dull.

Back
Top Bottom