Technology Focus - New LED backlighting?

Associate
Just found an interesting article http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2144459/lightbulbs

This discovery could herald a new and efficient backlight source for LCD displays.

Quantumn Dots. when excited (By shining UV on them or by passing current through them) they emmit white light!. Until now white light from LED's has only been possible by combining Red Green and Blue light. This discovery should make most other white light sources obsolete, inc the common incandescent light bulb.

I hope some of you find this interesting.

Associate
Interesting read Chocki, thanks for the link. :)

Unless I'm mistaken though wasn't something similar discovered many years back? I seem to remember reading something about it and the fact that even with today's [Then] technology it was possible to produce light bulbs that would last a lifetime but manufactures decided that would soon put them out of business and therefore built a limited lifetime into each lamp they produced.

This idea seems similar but different in the sense its using LED's instead of incandescent lamps, [Think that's correct] I do remember some 10 years back that they had built a house were all the walls had a 12 volt current running through them and you could just attach any purpose built electrical item to any part of any wall to receive power and this meant you could do away with fixed power sockets. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom