Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 13th January 2006

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
AcidHell2 said:
Thats right gang up on me.
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean everybody's not out to get you.

WJA96 said:
the company gave me a P4EE machine to keep at home
:eek:
Any jobs going with you guys? :p

I'm running both P4s with -advmethods on and getting good WUs, 1 A64 with it on and 1 with it off - doesn't seem to be making much difference (although I've only just got the 3500 running properly*).

*I've been having problems for some time with the A64s.
Some of you may remember me complaining that when I set up the 4000 San Diego, it kept killing Wus and I thought I might have some dodgy RAM or other hardware problem.

When I built the 3500 Venice system, I used some of the RAM from the SD to save some cash (I had 2GB so I took 1GB from the SD), I also switched the OS (installed XP Home on the SD and switched XP64 to the Venice).

I started having the same problem with the Venice but the SD was cured and I was even more convinced it was the RAM. I tried everything I could think of. I swapped RAM and ran memtest over and over but could find nothing wrong.

Last night I eventually uninstalled XP64 and installed XP Home - hey presto, it's sorted.

Before I switched, it would work fine if you left it entirely alone but as soon as you tried to do anything else with it, it killed the WU.
I would run the Prime95 torture test which would run fine until I tried to close or open a window then it would go ****-up.

After installing XP Home, I ran Prime and was doing a windows update, playing a video and installing sound drivers at the same time - not a flicker.

The moral of this story is that (on my set-ups, at least), XP64 and Folding DO NOT MIX :mad:

Stan :)

PS: If anybody wants to try XP64, there will be a copy for sale in the Members Market in the next few days :p

Soldato
Well my performance has been woeful tihs week, all becuase I haven't had a >100pt Woo for the past 6 days. It's really begin to annoy me now. I've tried putting -advmethods back onto the Winny and Opteron to try and coax a 350pt gromacs into my trap but no joy. Ah well, at least I'm gonna hit 100000 pts today whatever crappy woos I get!

Soldato
OP
VeNT said:
dude, I got my 25000 tiffy before 13th Jan 2006, 14:03! surly I should be on the list?
dagnamit! :o :p

i was sure i'd posted a couple of news' ago that i wouldn't be listing 25K tiffy's however when i checked back to last week i have indeed awarded a 25K tiffy :rolleyes: (rolleyes at myself there)

well 25 is a nice number so i'll add that to my official list and edit accordingly - thanks for the nudge, my mind isn't always working too well on a friday afternoon i'm afraid :p

edit: ok this is the list that i will stick to from now on
1K 2.5k 5k 7.5k 10k 15k 20k 25k 30k 40k 50k ..... 90k 100k 120k 140k ..... 180k 200k 225k 250k 275k 300k 325k etc
I will stick to every 100K for those over 1M as that seems to make sense

Last edited:
Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Nice one all :D

Oh and my Christmas bonus was a DAB radio :p Not bad considering I only work there part time and I'd only been working there 2 days before they gave me it :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Haly said:
Oh and my Christmas bonus was a DAB radio :p Not bad considering I only work there part time and I'd only been working there 2 days before they gave me it :D

Nice one :cool:

My Christmas bonus - I get to keep working in 2006.

You'd have thought they would have come across with something - especially for those of us who were offshore for Christmas and new year :(

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Bigstan said:
Nice one :cool:

My Christmas bonus - I get to keep working in 2006.

You'd have thought they would have come across with something - especially for those of us who were offshore for Christmas and new year :(

Yeah you certainly should have got one for being offshore then :(

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
WJA96 said:
[Off Topic]Any good?
I've not used it much, gave it to my parents but it looks pretty good :) Nice clear LCD display for the radio station and you can pre-set 15 different stations I think it is. Looks quite stylish too. Seems good quality sound too.
Certainly not bad for free :D

Associate
Damn, had a bad week, had to use my computers for other things, hopefully i'll get some better cruching done this week no more exams, can leave them on all the time and hopfully add a 3800 x2 to my account aswell hehe

Back
Top Bottom