Interested in helping - Which project is the most useful?

Soldato
Hey guys!

I have often been interested in helping out with the distrubuted computing projects before, and have been spurred on to help by the recent topping of the SETI league by OCUK!

I am not sure which one to go with though, I want to chose a project that actually has a useful output, that will help with something, which is a good choice?

Thanks in advance!

Rich

Associate
Folding at Home, that's my choice.

What's it Do: Press Coverage

Why do I choose F@H ... well ... I know several people that have had or presently suffer from debilitating deseases, some of which the Pande Group are trying to understand an help correct. I like several others projects, like AIDS @ Home and the like, but have concentrated most of my efforts over the last year to Folding @ Home.

OcUK Team 10 .. Get on the Fold.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato
I choose Folding becasue I like the area of study for the project as Mr. KE1HA has explained. BOINC does offer a nice variety though. It allows you to choose several projects on which to work and it will divvy out the work as you've told it to do. Quite slick if you think about it.

Meh, go with Folding, Team 10 needs your help. :D

If you go BOINC, look into a few projects to see what you like. If I did a BOINC project it'd be LHC (designing an atom smasher, rarely has work), CPDN (weather prediction), and Predictor (protien research not too dissimilar to FAH).

Soldato
Folding. It's like BOINC, but awesome. :D

Serious answer... BOINC has a wide variety of projects but Folding is my personal preference as I know that the work which I'm doing is useful, and the team spirit is pretty good with most of the threads in this forum being about it!

Soldato
folding.gif

Associate
I too have just joined the DC way of life just recently (about a week ago)

I've decided to run Folding on 3 PC's runnings Folding & Seti Simultanusly with One PC running Climate & SETI alternating with FAH too. It will be a huge bonus when FAH gets onto the BOINC client. I can see many joining up thier project just because of it!

Quick question on SETI Boinc i have noticed that two of my PC's i wouldn't have thought would have had a "huge" WU difference, do so.

I mean i can have the 640 running F@H & BOINC running Climate and SETI together, then have just SETI running flat out on the Barton yet the 640 does a SETI WU in roughly 24mins yet it takes the Barton 2h30ish mins..

Both running the appropriate Crunch3r optimised clients etc (it was a bigger difference between them before..Barton was about 3h20m..35m for 640)

3.4Ghz 640 Preston 1GBDDR2
Measured floating point speed 2018.61 million ops/sec Measured integer speed 3592.74 million ops/sec
RAC 187.01

XP 2800+ Barton 768MB DDR400
Measured floating point speed 2035.69 million ops/sec
Measured integer speed 5950.32 million ops/sec
RAC 30.98

Anyone got any ideas? Could it be the 256MB & 512Mb sticks in the Barton are not fetting along..

BTW Hi, and great to be part of the TEAM, Happy Crunching! It attracts girls right?? ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Welcome to the team :)

As regards the Barton, I would say that something is not right. My Barton 2500 (stock running crunch3rs app) is averaging about 6000 seconds per wu.

Are you 100% that the optimised client is running? The way to check is to exit Boinc and then re-start it and have a look for 'found app_info.xml; using annonymous platform' in the messages.

Happy crunchin :cool:

Dunc

Soldato
www.climateprediction.net

Looking into climate effects now and in the future with CO2 and Sulphur emissions. So why not contribute to Oxford Uni's research.

It's deemed hardcore by some - last CO2 hasdm3 (slab) model took my 1.5G pentium centrino lappy 511 cpu hours to complete. The X2 4400 has almost completed two - these should be complete after 370 and ~390 hours (running two at once).

The Sulphur model is even more hardcore. Lappy predicts ~1570 CPU hours to complete.

Also CP.net also takes account of SSE2 and 3 on AMD platforms so doesn't penalise non-intel platforms due to the later version of the Intel compiler used.

Back
Top Bottom