Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 13th January 2006

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I got an e-mail yesterday afternoon to tell me my new bits had been dispatched (one of the items was out of stock, so I had to wait for a bit) so hopefully, the new 4400 dual core will be up and running today.

There is a lot of fiddling to be done.
The dual core is going into the box which currently holds the 4000 San Diego along with a beefier PSU, 2 GB of Corsair XMS4000PT TwinX RAM and an X1800 XT 512MB GFX card.
The PSU, RAM, CPU and GFX card from there are going into the case which currently holds the old 1200 Duron along with a 40 GB IDE HDD I found lying around and a new mobo.

The Duron is being retired for the moment as I don't have a spare copy of Windows anymore due to having to install it on the 3500 Venice rig because of the issues I was having with XP64 - I may just break her up and flog the bits to get a few quid back - she never was up to much foldy-wise anyway (looking at getting a flashy monitor as I intend to start playing the odd g**e or two on the dual core rig).

To recap, that will give me:

1x dual core 4400 with 2GB Corsair XMS DC
1x single core 4000 San Diego with 1GB Corsair XL DC
1x single core 3500 Venice with 1GB Corsair XL DC
1x P4 Northwood 2.4GHz with 1GB Twinmos DC
1x 1.6MHz P4M Laptop with 512MB RAM
All folding 24/7 for Team 10
(Also big bro's laptop (borged) when he has it switched on.

That will have to do me for a while as there has been much expense lately (I'm too scared to add it all up) - although I have been greedily eyeing up one of the new dual core 9** P4 chips but I think I'm going to be selfish and have me a new monitor :D

Stan :)

PS: I have shuffled so much around recently that I can't remember which Windows licence goes with which machine (i.e. I don't know if the licence key on the side of the Duron actually corresponds to what is in the machine). I remember reading somewhere that the licence key is stored in the registry but cannot remember where - can anyone help me out?

Soldato
its not in the reg iirc, just a licence number (not the key)
I've never thought it matters that much aslong as you have enough for each box

Soldato
Bigstan said:
PS: I have shuffled so much around recently that I can't remember which Windows licence goes with which machine (i.e. I don't know if the licence key on the side of the Duron actually corresponds to what is in the machine). I remember reading somewhere that the licence key is stored in the registry but cannot remember where - can anyone help me out?

Linky

;)

Dunc

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Thanks Dunc - that works a treat :)

Update on the farm:

I still haven't got the San Diego back up and running - bit of a mix up with Citylink regarding delivery of the new mobo for it - hopefully get her up and running today.

The X2 (Toledo) is running away fine so far.

If only I could get some decent WUs for the damn things, I'd be much happier.
Thousands of pounds worth of hardware and look what I get:
6 CPUs running at the moment and I have 1 QMD (thank god for the P4), 3 tinkers, 1 Gromacs worth 135 points and 1 Gromacs worth 41 points :(

Never mind, Im sure things will pick up eventually

Stan :)

Edit: On a cheerier note - a little milestone:

500WUs.php.jpg

:cool:

Last edited:
Associate
Well I *finally* got my old SoA sempron up and running 24/7, not the best performance but its better than a 3ghz opteron on for 4 hours a day... just.

BTW if anyone has a 10/100 switch lying around not being used i'd be greatful, i'd swap it for a 10x 16port netgear nub if wanted

And this should help things along:

Project : 2358
Core : Double Gromacs
Frames : 100
Credit : 572

-- Folding@Home --

Min. Time / Frame : 4mn 43s - 1746.32 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 13mn 16s - 620.86 ppd

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato
Sure they are... if you're up to paying the electricity bills. Sign them up for timeless WUs if you fear that they might not make the deadlines. I've got a few P3 machines that do pretty well. Since they support SSE you'll find that they do gromacs WUs 3x quicker than they do Tinkers.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Mr Huddy said:
will these be any good do you reckon for just folding?
personally I wouldn't bother as they will probably not produce a lot of work for the leccy costs

however if they are on someone else's bill then every little helps :p

I used to fold on my brother's old P3-533 which he was using as an internet sharing machine and it did alright - however it was going to be on 24/7 anyway so didn't really add much to the cost

I would say try one and see how it goes

Back
Top Bottom