Dell 2405FPW or Samsung HDTV?

Associate
Hiya guys ^_^

I don't know what to do. I'm about to build a new set up, high end for gaming and other stuff. I also have an xbox 360 (mah baby :)) and i'd like to run it in HDTV.

I heard the 2405FPW has better then HDTV resolution and can run at 1080i.

Truth be told i don't know much about HDTV so i'm not too sure what to do.

The other idea is a 26'' Samsung LCD HDTV for roughly the same price.

Help me out please! :D

Soldato
jadeskye said:
Hiya guys ^_^

I don't know what to do. I'm about to build a new set up, high end for gaming and other stuff. I also have an xbox 360 (mah baby :)) and i'd like to run it in HDTV.

I heard the 2405FPW has better then HDTV resolution and can run at 1080i.

Truth be told i don't know much about HDTV so i'm not too sure what to do.

The other idea is a 26'' Samsung LCD HDTV for roughly the same price.

Help me out please! :D

the samsung = 1366x768 (ish lol)
dell 2405 = 1920x1200

higher res so can display 1080i, where as the samsung is only 720

if you intend on having a graphics card that can power your games at 1920x1200 then get the dell, if not get the tv

imo id get the dell

Associate
Personally i'd go for the Samsung if your wanting it for an xbox 360 i run mine at 1080i (interlaced) and it looks great & BF2 also looks great, the tv scales it down and has less jaggy edges than 720p. I'm not sure the dell has a component connection but there are many people saying the colours are more vibrant and better looking via component vs vga. Another point worth considering is you wont have to spend £300 plus for a vga card to take advantage of the Samsung's resolution.

Associate
Had the same decision here. I went for the Dell in the end because i play a lot more PC games than on my 360. The resolution was too low on the Samsung for me in windows as i do a lot of 3D work and video work. And no you dont need a £400-500 card to play games at 1900 x 1200. My 7800 256 GTX will play everything i have tried (bar fear) with 2 x aa 4 x af. The Dell 2405 is the best upgrade i have ever done, i love the large res/screen gaming and windows use is amazing. Works fine with xbox 360 and brilliant with HD footage.

My friend has the 26" samsung HD and it amazing but i wasnt convinced in windows use and the low resolution in games. Depends what you use your PC system for in the end. I couldnt justify £600 on the Samsung too have such a drop in the rez when i utilise more windows based stuff than HDTV etc..

Both amazing LCD's you just need too decide what you want from it. Theres a thread on each in the different sections so check them out for specs and opinions.

Soldato
yeah, Dell have decided to keep their business in house :(

I'm having a similar dillema.. I already have a 2405 and the sli gtxs I believe it requires :rolleyes: and I've just ordered a 32" samsung for the front room and I'm thinking for about the price I could sell the Dell for (give or take £200) I could buy another for the dining room and ditch the 2405..

Can you whack up the af+aa far enough to make up in part for the loss of res or am I going to hate gaming at such a low res now I've become used to 1920x1200?

I fancy having the 360 in the dining room and perhaps sky/hd/freeview.. the pluses are major, but are the minuses?

Soldato
I most certainly do ;) thats why I'm thinking of 2!

I thought I was doing ok getting a sony v series bravia on staff sales for £1150.. I doubt it can be £500 better than the samsung.

Soldato
matt100 said:
I most certainly do ;) thats why I'm thinking of 2!

I thought I was doing ok getting a sony v series bravia on staff sales for £1150.. I doubt it can be £500 better than the samsung.

Absolutely not - The picture is fantastic on the Sammy.

To the OP - i'll be using my 32" for P.C use and for my 360 too.

BF2 looks awesome on it.

Soldato
any way of taking some pics of bf2?

There are too many benefits to this for me to ignore it.. like not having to buy top of the range graphics cards in duplicate any more..

and being able to go to a shuttle from a tower...

ah! bliss!

Soldato
Here's one of HL2 lost coast

dscn20485hj.jpg

Soldato
certainly looks pretty good.. I think I'll try it with my pc when it turns up. Hopefully not too late for me to order another..

or maybe I should just do it.. its not as if I won't be able to move it on if I decide I don;t want it!

Back
Top Bottom