Dell 2005FPW - Opinions or Alternatives

Associate
Hi folks

My dad is looking at potentially getting one of these monitors and I thought I would do a little digging for him and see what folk thought of them here. From a quick search I can see a few people seem to have had issues with backlight bleeding? What exactly is this and how big of a problem is it? If this isn't a very good monitor, is there any I could recommend in place of this to himf, for round about the £400 mark?

Thanks for any help :cool:

Associate
By all accounts it is quite a good monitor apart from the backlight bleeding. I've had my eye on it for a while, but put off by the backlight bleeding mainly.

However, Dell are bringing out an updated verson Feb/March time so probably better off waiting for that. (That's what I'm doing anyway!)

Soldato
I have one, The backlight bleeding is only visible to me in photos and its great. When sat next to my old Hitachi 17" the picture quality, brightness and contrast are so much better. It also looks great and is built really well as well as having a nice decent quality stand.

Soldato
backlights visible when you look for it really - its not as bad as suggested by some - well mine isnt anyways + the picutres of it are exagerated by the camera - i'll try and take a picture

EDIT: sorry i find it near impossible to get a picture of what its really like.

Last edited:
Soldato
Vegeta said:
backlights visible when you look for it really - its not as bad as suggested by some - well mine isnt anyways
If you dont use the display for very dark backgrounds you will probably not be effected by it. However if you do (games such as Doom III / Splinter Cell / night flights in FS2004 for example) you will notice it and it will annoy you especially after paying good money for it.

Soldato
PieEater said:
If you dont use the display for very dark backgrounds you will probably not be effected by it. However if you do (games such as Doom III / Splinter Cell / night flights in FS2004 for example) you will notice it and it will annoy you especially after paying good money for it.
Let it go won't you man ;) :D

Soldato
2**4SLEEP said:
Thanks for all the responses folks, my dad doesnt play games at all, just interenet, Excel etc
Well it should be the perfect monitor then, as for alternatives? I havent seen any reviews but the Belinea 20" widescreen monitors are a little cheaper than the dell option - not sure how good they are but the stats seems impressive.

Soldato
Bony Maloney said:
Let it go won't you man ;) :D
Never - my experiences with this monitor are genuine and I'll keep advising people that there are issues with it. Dell have treated me abysmally whilst they made error after error in handling my issues with them over the past 4 months, so I'll keep advising people how bad their customer service is too.

In this instance it sounds like the potential user will not have a problem with the inherant backlight bleed this monitor has. However if anything ever does go wrong with it they will wish they never bought Dell, guarenteed.

Soldato
PieEater said:
However if anything ever does go wrong with it they will wish they never bought Dell, guarenteed.

I fully agree with that statement. I made the mistake of buying from them once and it took 3 months (!!!) of phone calls to get them to replace a faulty part. They had it for a few weeks and it came back filthy and covered in crumbs!

Soldato
Shocky-FM said:
It ghosts quite severely and has some horrible backlight bleeding... As long as your not a serious gamer then go for it..
Backlight bleed I have slightly, ghosting I have none(scientifically I cannot back up this statement, my eyes have detected no ghosting at all) Build quality and looks wise this monitor is excellent. Playing Fear, Quake 4 etc.

Soldato
Shocky-FM said:
If you can't see ghosting then your not the best person he should be taking advise from regarding gaming LCD's.
Whoa there bucko - everyones eyes are different and some people perceive ghosting more readily than others. I didn't see any ghosting on my 2005FPW either, however I'm not about to say that your eyes must be over sensative and you shouldn't be posting your opinion.

Bony's been around here a long time and I'd value his opinion on this or any subject.

Last edited:
Soldato
WOP.jpg

;)

Ste

Ste

Soldato
As the backlight bleed is so bad, and prices have gone up, I would probably consider one of the other 20" WS panels, there seem to be a few around atm. Or at least wait until the revised model...

Soldato
Shocky-FM said:
It ghosts quite severely and has some horrible backlight bleeding... As long as your not a serious gamer then go for it..

Woah mr pro gamer, hardly anyone has ghosting issues with this monitor. I upgraded to one briefly for around a month and had no issues. It played all FPS games fine apart from serious backlight issues.

Associate
Just chiming in to say that I just recieved this monitor yesterday, and have 0 dead pixels and very very little backlight bleed. Also, I can't comment on the UK Dell service department, but here in the US they will ship you out a new monitor and a box ready to go to ship your broken one back. Sounds like some pretty darn good service to me.

Back
Top Bottom