Best gaming monitor out of......

Soldato
Samsung SM-960BF 19" LCD Monitor
Samsung SM-970P 19" LCD Monitor

Im stuck between these two, i want the best one for my gaming experience.
The price difference doesnt matter, i just want really good screen quality in my games.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tough one. When people generally say 'best for gaming' they're usually only talking about speed, and the 960BF is quicker than the 970P. You also mention high quality though, and the 970P is the higher quality monitor, hence the price.

960BF is TN Film, 970P is PVA, both use overdrive. 970P is a true colour 24 bit panel giving great colour accuracy and the best black depths you will find on an LCD. It also has better viewing angles. But it's slower than the 960BF.

I'd say you need to think about what your priorities are from the various specs - speed, viewing angles, black depth, colour accuracy, price, looks etc and hopefully that will lead you to the right choice.

You should also be considering the Viewsonic VP930 (MVA panel), which is a quality screen like the 970P, but is generally thought to have more effective overdrive, which makes it quicker.

Man of Honour
Purely for gaming, the 930BF is more responsive. The TN Film technology is generally a more suited technolgy to gaming, and Samsung have really done a good job of applying overdrive to the panel to boost response time on grey transitions. The 930BF is arguably one of the best gaming panels in the market today. As Fish99 has said though, the 970P does offer some advantages and is a more all rounded screen.

Soldato
OP
cheers for the replys
my current monitor a hp pavilion f1703 (17") in my opinion has pretty good picture quality but when my mate shown me his screen it looked a lot better.
So as long as my picture quality is better than my current one ill be happy.
And im not sure what you mean when you say the monitor has better speed does that mean you dont need vsync on in games

Man of Honour
nothing to do with frame rate and tearing im afraid. When i say a screen is more responsive i mean the screen itself. The response time of the pixels is better and so when it is asked to change an image, the pixels can respond more quickly. Slower screens can show trailing and ghosting of images if the pixels cannot change fast enough. If you're playing games with a high frame rate, you may still need to have vsync on to avoid tearing

Soldato
OP
i think ill go for the Samsung SM-960BF 19" LCD Monitor not because its cheaper but because ill have less chance of turning vsync on......
But then again ive never turned vsync on in games before and im sure the Samsung SM-970P is better than my current monitor. So i expect not to see any ghosting but a better picture.

Associate
bakes0310 said:
i think ill go for the Samsung SM-960BF 19" LCD Monitor not because its cheaper but because ill have less chance of turning vsync on......
But then again ive never turned vsync on in games before and im sure the Samsung SM-970P is better than my current monitor. So i expect not to see any ghosting but a better picture.

i dont see why would u need to turn vsync on. you don't need it, i own the 930BF and its excellent for games even FPS one's. no tearing, ghosting, whatsoever with vsync always off

Back
Top Bottom