Starting a Folding farm

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I currently run 4 standalone desktops and 1 laptop 24/7 for F@H. I want to build on this but don't want to build any more PCs so I was thinking about running new builds bare on a wooden frame, both to get more for my money and save on space.

Depending on cash, I was looking at ordering the following for when I get back from Egypt (may cut it down to 2 units depending on cash flow). I will build more units onto this as and when funds are available.

Order.JPG

Each unit will consist of:
Motherboard - I chose the P5LD2-VM because it is small, supports dual core and has onboard GFX.
CPU - I chose the 920 because the dual cores will give me 2 clients for each unit, meaning I get more in the same space plus use less leccy. I chose P4s due to past success with QMDs, I may change my mind if the new QMDs are going to be less profitable, pointswise.
1GB RAM - I chose the OcUK value RAM because it is cheap :p
HDD - I chose the 40GB Maxtor because I won't need much storage as these will be dedicated folders (for the time being).
PSU - I already have a relatively new 400W PSU lying around so I only need the 2. I was going to get a 680W and run two units from that but I couldn't find an ATX power splitter anywhere. I went back and had a look and the 2 370Ws were roughly the same price as the 680W.
Windows - I chose Windows as I have tried working with various Linux distros but can't get the hang of them and don't really have the time or patience to learn how to get it working properly :o (for the same reason, I won't be able to run the farm diskless).

If anyone has any suggestions for alternative ideas then I would welcome any advice you can offer. Also, suggestions for a theme for naming the units would be appreciated - bearing in mind that the farm will keep growing (hopefully).

Stan :)

Associate
Looking good, however you need ddr2 for that mobo, it will cost an extra £17 +vat per 1gb for some samsung at ocuk.

As for naming, how about hornytoe 1, 2 and 3 and that way you wont get to stomp me ;)

ht

Man of Honour
Soldato
I likey! The only thinnkg that raised my eyebrows was the XP licenses. To me, at least, the aggrivation of having to figure out the UNIX command shell is worth 152 quid. take that money and spend it on the rack/shelf/cabinet or throw it in the leccy fund.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
hornytoe said:
Looking good, however you need ddr2 for that mobo, it will cost an extra £17 +vat per 1gb for some samsung at ocuk.

As for naming, how about hornytoe 1, 2 and 3 and that way you wont get to stomp me ;)

ht

Thanks for pointing out the schoolboy error :o . I have decided to spend a little more and go for the Corsair XMS - simply because I like and trust Corsair RAM.

As for naming them hornytoe 1,2 and 3 - lol, nice try but sorry, if you want to stay ahead - you know what to do ;).

Billy:
As I mentioned, I really don't have the time or the patience to pfaff around with it.
I have some old bits lying around, I may make up a test machine and try various distros (if I can find the time) for future units.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
OK.
Updated a couple of things since the first post.

Due to Hornytoe spotting my deliberate mistake :p I have upgraded the RAM to Corsair xms.

Also, after having a bit of a rummage around in the Hard Drive forum, I have decided to bin the Maxtors and go for Samsung HDDs instead - only £1 each dearer. The Maxtors got a right old slagging in the HDD forum so I decided not to chance it (I work away from home a lot and it would be inconvenient, to say the least, if hard drives were conking out on me whilst I was hundreds (or thousands) of miles away).

Soldato
Oh man, well and truely gone are the days where you and I jousted for position. We must've run neck-a-neck up the table for about a year but not anymore! Good luck on the build; it should get you into the top ten in next to no time, especially seeing as you're turning in 1000ppd as it is.

I'd like to build a folding farm too but atm climbing and my new car are taking all my cash!

Good luck :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
VeNT said:
any reason for not going AMD (I suspect its the whole QMD thing yeah?)

That was the idea, although I will keep my eye on what's happening with the new QMDs and if they're not as profitable as the old ones, I may change CPUs (better price up some contingencies). :) I have another 3 weeks in Egypt so hopefully they will be out before I order and I will be able to get an idea by then.

Associate
You could save approximately 200 quid by going to Linux and using a 256MB USB key on each node. Add wine to the distro and you could probably run the windiws client as well.

Back
Top Bottom