Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 24th February 2006

Soldato
OMG I found a athlon 1700+ NOT ON in my office,
dunno why,
so I'm gonna install F@H on it and get it crunching for the cause!

anyone got a Barton 2500 they wanna give me for this system (its a NF7-s V2 so I COULD get another 3200 out of it if you have!)

Associate
cert.php

:D

Wow I really like these news posts you do rich! Being new to the F@H team it's great to see myself in so many of the lists :D

Associate
Nope, it was a genuine mistake. Can't say I'm not pleased about being there with two names though :p. Also I've just borged another PC (Willamette 1.8) :). Gotta be careful though because if I come too obsessed I tend to just quit in the end for one reason or another (and then come back without fail in a few months). So I'm going to try and be more like the tortoise than the hare this time :)

Associate
Soz Im a bit late, but thanks for the news Rich.
Ive had a busy few weeks upgrading my existing rigs and adding a couple more. I now have over 50Ghz of folding power at my finger-tips dedicated to Team 10. Its amazing what you can fit into 12 boxes these days (dual core its the only way to go).
If I can manage to get my post count up to over 250 and get into the members market I will have quite a few goodies going cheap.
Im back offshore tomorrow so Ill be down to just one or two rigs left running for a while.
A big welcome to all the new members hope you enjoy your stay with Team 10.
Tom :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
It looks like something has gone horribly wrong chez Bigstan :(

None of the rigs back home have returned anything for 3 days now.

I'm hoping it's just a problem with the leccy or the router has gone for a Burton or something like that.

I spoke to one of my workmates who will be in the area tomorrow, he is going to check up on the flat in case anything serious has happened - I hope not as nothing is insured :o

Looks like production will be next to nothing 'til I get back :(

Stan :)

PS: Never knew you were offshore Sculptor, where you at? What do you do?

Associate
Sorry to hear that BigStan, hope its nothing serious mate.
Im not really offshore, just work away from home, it was just easier to type offshore.
Oh im a Floorlayer.
Good luck with your kit, hope all is OK and you get it up and running when you get home.

Soldato
OP
Bigstan said:
It looks like something has gone horribly wrong chez Bigstan :(

None of the rigs back home have returned anything for 3 days now.
hey Stan - any chance they could have just copped a load of 1112 point WUs?
my slowest machine seems to have picked one up and is taking almost 3hrs a frame :eek:

Even on a machine used to getting 300ppd these things would take the best part of 4 days

here's hoping :o :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
rich99million said:
hey Stan - any chance they could have just copped a load of 1112 point WUs?
my slowest machine seems to have picked one up and is taking almost 3hrs a frame :eek:

Even on a machine used to getting 300ppd these things would take the best part of 4 days

here's hoping

That was my initial thought but it seems unlikely that all 4 machines (1 of them an X2) would get them simultaneously - we live in hope ;)

If that is the case, there could be some serious dumpage tomorrow (5 consoles@1112 points = 5560 points) :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
BillytheImpaler said:
So assuming your house is still there, when do you get back from Egypt to check in on them and fix whatever might be wrong?

Probably a couple of weeks yet. If everything goes according to plan, I will get back on the 11th.
That's a lot of lost credit :(

Man of Honour
Not a bad week for me :) I'm about 1 week from getting my second system up and running but I need a second monitor really.

Seem to be neck to nexh with aceface which is making this interesting. Nothing like a bit stiff competition :)

Now what are the chances of this ..

My next WU will take me to 100 WUs and past the 10,000 tiffy

:cool:

Soldato
Mr Huddy said:
I'm about 1 week from getting my second system up and running but I need a second monitor really.
Get the new rig setup using your existing monitor, install xp and folding then setup a vnc server on it. Stick it in the garage/loft/cupboard, plug in a network cable (or go wireless) and then vnc into it using your main rig. I've got 3 machines running like this and it certainly saves on noise/space and extra monitor expense.

So effectively you get this:

vnc1ns.jpg

3 desktops in one without all the hassle of buying 3x as much kit.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato
You don't really even need VNC. With XP Pro on the headless machine you can use Remote Desktop to use them over the network. Alternately you can set it up with a GUI-less Linux like Slack-Frodo and set up a SSH server to run them remotely.

Oh, Mr. Huddy, sorry for the lack of parpage last week. I guess I didn't see you coming. :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Well, I've just got up for my shift and checked my stats.
I haven't heard from my mate yet but one of the machines back home just dumped a 587 pointer \o/.

I know it doesn't take 4 days for any of my rigs to do one of these so I can only assume that there has been some problem with the leccy or something.

I will know more when he contacts me.

I can't remember if I set all of them to reboot after a power failure or not so I will have to wait and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom